Go to the Main Business Forum page

How I categorize my time... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How I categorize my time...

Dien Rice
August 30, 2021, 11:55 PM
One of the differences between being a solo-entrepreneur and an employee, is the vast array of tasks you may have to do as a "solopreneur"...!

I recently tried to categorize all the tasks I have to do - both in my business life and my personal life...

This is all part of trying to "nail" it all...!

Here are the categories I came up with (for me)... Business categories first, and Personal life categories afterwards...

(Your categories may differ...)

First the business stuff...

1. Article writing - writing normal articles people want to read...

2. Promotional writing - this means writing sales web pages, and promotional emails... Writing designed to get people to take some kind of action...

3. "Accounting" type stuff - this means keeping track of daily cash flows (I'm a few weeks behind at the moment - gotta catch up!) I also keep track of business ideas to potentially write about, articles I've written, etc.

4. "Drudgery" type stuff - A lot of this is to do with my sideline domain names business... Making sure my domain names are renewed when they expire, finding prospects to sell to, etc. It doesn't require too much thought to do...

5. High-thought technical stuff - Anything technical that requires me to focus. An example would be setting up a new website (the technical side of it), backing up the data from a website, fixing technical web problems, etc.

6. Strategizing - Essentially, answering the question, what is the next step in my business strategy?

7. Education / learning - Mostly business stuff nowadays! I have videos I want to watch which I haven't watched yet, courses I've purchased but haven't completed yet, books I haven't finished yet, etc.

8. Paying bills - self-explanatory!

Now the personal stuff...

9. Personal communication / correspondence, time with family - self-explanatory I think...

10. Health - includes taking medication and vitamins, I really should try to fit more exercise in here too!

11. Housework-type stuff - Putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher, that kind of thing...

12. Prayer / meditation - I feel it's good to take time for this, too...

I'm still trying to get a handle on all these things! Your categories will probably be different - some of mine won't be relevant, and you'll have additional things I don't have... But thinking about it this way may help you get a handle on all you have to do in order to achieve what you want to achieve...

Best wishes!

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page