Go to the Main Business Forum page

Consultants Everywhere [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Consultants Everywhere

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GordonJ
January 25, 2022, 12:21 PM
Howard Shenson, Alan Weiss, Jeffrey Lant...old school consultants who wrote some very good books, my fav being Lant.

Today, I think almost all consultancy is done online, or soon will be. NO meetings, no travel, no getting dressed to impress, no golf courses, no dinners, all old school ways a consultant might operate.

But take note. Those old school guys, and these three just the tip, all WROTE BOOKS, and it is a thousand year old method to build authority and cred.

It has become the de facto marketing method for many an IM guru, all of whom may have a FREE book to send you, although they want you to pay postage, so they not only have your email, but home address too.

Doing free might still work today, although just a anecdotal observation, free isn't really appreciated or recognized...better to start at upper PREMIUM prices, go the Exclusive route.

Some think FACEbook is on the way out, and although that may be true, it will be a gradual decline, it is as of today, still one of the biggest and best fishing holes on the Internet to get new customers or clients, if that is what you want.

Today, Tue. Jan. 25, I'm wading through many requests I've rec'd for my done for you offer...

https://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/wfjan.pdf

Here is something interesting when I run one of these low cost offers, I get a lot of tire kickers I wouldn't work with to begin with. So, it doesn't take but a few email exchanges to determine their money is not worth my time.

On the other hand, when I do one of my few VERY HIGH RISK offers, into the thousands of dollars, the respondents are much more qualified and interested, this sorting by price is a consultant tactic picked up long ago.

It might surprise about 80% of the people I tell that I can't (won't) work with them because it just will not end well.

But to your observation/questions...

The Facebook marketing you are seeing has been hyped and sold for years now, and yes, it probably works too.

If I were advising a younger person about consulting, I'd have to say NO, don't do it, don't waste time with people, get TOLL POSITIONS built, go the E-Myth or FASTLANE routes, and keep as many people out of the equation as you can.

I guess maybe my new BOOK, THE ANTI CONSULTANTS BIBLE will appear at a Facebook group near you, HA!

Gordon

I don't often go on Facebook, but when I do, I constantly see ads from folks who are consultants, authors, gurus, what-have-you.

One claims his book will make you millions.

Another claims his book will get you a million followers on Facebook or other platforms.

All have a book or course that can help you.

Obviously, if these ads are popping up over and over, they must be making money enough to keep running them.

Are these ads just to sell books or to develop the list? (Money in the list)

Maybe these folks are doing the right things, maybe not.

With all the folks selling, does anyone make actual money?

My biggest money maker has always been from referrals.

So if I was starting out, I'd do some free business audits or other business service and get referrals.

How does a brand new consultant stand out from the crowd?

It would be interesting to see what all the folks selling their books and courses would do if the were starting out.... pssst... maybe they are. :)

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page