Go to the Main Business Forum page

Have you discovered your PURPOSE in life? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you discovered your PURPOSE in life?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Dien Rice
June 9, 2001, 12:10 PM
By "purpose," I mean, have you found what you were MEANT to do? Have you found your calling in life, are you satisfied deep down with what you are doing?

I wanted to share a quick story here, of someone I know.... Of how he stumbled on his calling in life -- and it wasn't what he expected!

He got a bachelor's degree from university, in science.... I think he did a lot of courses in physiology.

With that kind of background, you'd think he'd probably end up in something medically related, or something along those lines....

Well, he also had some technical expertise. After getting his degree, he ended up working for a big company, in the "technical" side of things....

BUT, someone there recognized his forte, his skill, his natural shining light.... And they moved him over into SALES!

He was surprised -- he didn't see himself as a salesperson. But guess what happened....

He started in the sales division of the company. In a short time, he outsold everyone else he was working with....

He was highly successful at what he did, and he enjoyed it too! But he later quit, when he realized he was making many mega-dollars in profit for the company, and he felt that given all the business he generated, that he wasn't being given his fair share....

So he went into business for himself, and he hasn't looked back....

This is a TRUE story of someone I know. But what struck me was he didn't know what his natural "calling" was.... It took someone else in the company to see it, and to place him where he could use his God-given talents best....

I wonder how many of us are like this too? We still may not KNOW what our "calling" in life is?

What do you enjoy? That's a start.... Sometimes, unless you start something, you don't realize how much you really do enjoy it....

I've made an interesting discovery about myself, in that I've found (to my surprise!) that I really enjoy doing "deals" -- starting with chattel.... I have Gordon Alexander and his "Chattel Report" to thank for discovering this, for otherwise I may never have known how much I really do enjoy this!

At first I was terrified! But I stuck at it, and once I got over my fear and did my first successful chattel deal, I've found I really love the whole process.... :)

Since discovering this, I've been reading a lot about many of the world's great deal-makers.... People like Kirk Kerkorian (one of my personal heroes), John Kluge, Ron Perelman.....

These names may not sound familiar, because although all these deal-makers are some of the richest people in the USA, they tend to remain "behind the scenes" regarding the public face of their businesses.... Because their particular skill is in deal-making, they don't need to be in the public eye to make their money....

So, how do you find your calling? What is it you enjoy doing? What are you good at? This is (I think) what Gordon has tried to get at with everyone, when he keeps asking "What Do You Want?"

But.... if you haven't found it yet, believe me, your calling is out there just waiting for you to find it.... You just have to keep digging....

And when you find it, you'll find success comes to you much easier than it ever has before!

So, never never never give up, because rewards are there for those who persevere! Or as a well-known source of wisdom said, "Seek, and ye shall find".... That's one of the most inspiring sentences in the history of mankind....

- Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page