Go to the Main Business Forum page

Like Picking Dollar Bills Off Trees [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Like Picking Dollar Bills Off Trees

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Don Alm
October 27, 2006, 07:38 PM
...the TIME (here in the Pacific Northwest is 4pm exactly as I start this note)...

THIS morning at approx 7am I headed off to the big city North of me for the purpose of Renewing some restaurant ads in my "Menu Guides that are in Hotel Lobbies".

On the way up (on the Interstate) I saw the sign for a small town of about 8,000 people. The time was about 8am and I "got a flash"...."Their are 2 Good Hotels in this town and most Hotel Managers are usually IN their offices and are OPEN to "Sales-Type" people...before noon. So I, as a "Sales-Type" person...made a decision to pop in on these 2 hotels and see if I can get them to accept my "TV Channel Guide" program.

I pull in and park at the first hotel...grab my Samples and go into the lobby.

The woman at the front desk greets me with, "Good Morning!" I respond with, "Is the Owner or Manager IN?"

She asks; "WHO may I say is calling?"

I respond with; "My name is Don and I would like a "quick minute" to show him/her something...OHHH...what is the first name of the Manager'?

She tells me the Manager's Name is Jessica.

I say; "Ask Jessica if I could see her for a "quick minute"!

She walks to a back office. In a couple of minutes...out comes another woman who says; "Hi I'm Jessica. What is this about?"

I bring out my Sample TV Channel Guides and set them on the front counter and I say; "I provide FREE TV Channel Guides to hotels! These are placed on the desk or night stand, in your rooms and show your Guests where they can find their favorite TV Channels".

Then I say; "These are completely FREE to you...they have your Logo and Channels on the front...along with a Pizza or other Restaurant on the front and...3 or 4 other restaurants or attractions on the back.

MY Tv Channel Guides are going to SAVE your Front Desk people LOTS OF TIME...answering phone calls about what Channel is ??? on....and because your guests are HUNGRY and want to "Know Where To Eat"....I put local restaurants on these.....which also SAVES YOUR CLERKS TIME...and makes your hotel appear more professional.

(As I ASSUME the sale)
All I need is your TV Channel Guide and business card and I will make up a Sample for you to see. (I LOOK AT the manager when I say this and wait for them to go get me a copy of their TV Channels)

They hand me a copy of their Guide....I ask her to give me the name of the Pizza Co she likes AND...the names of a few restaurants she likes to recommend....I thank her and tell her I will be back in a few days with a Sample.

THAT'S IT! (For all you wondering HOW "Direct Sales" programs are put together)

Then...I went to the hotel down the street and got the Manager to give me a copy of their TV Channel Listings AND Pizza and Restaurant choices...and proceed up the road to Renew the ads in my Menu Guides.

Renew my Ads and get back to this small town at about 1pm.

My first call was on the Figaros Pizza owner...who chose to go on the Front of My Tv Channel Guide for the 2 hotels. I then called on 5 restaurants... found 3 owners IN...sold them on a Space on the Back...went next door to one of the restaurants and sold a realtor on taking a space SOOOO....in the space of ONE HOUR...I had signed, sealed and got PAID FOR FIVE SPACES on my Tv Channel Guides....and headed home.

So...thus is the "life" of a "Direct Salesman".

And...even though many of the people HERE, who will be reading this would rather "Try and make money with their PC...on the internet"....I am writing this for the people who want to be making money via "Direct Sales"...."A Day In The Life of a TRUE Direct Salesman"...showing prospective advertisers a Sample and getting orders and checks from strangers.

And...my purpose of this tome is to show that..."IT AIN'T ALL THAT SCARY!"

People in Business ain't gonna bite you! They are LOOKING for GOOD Programs to get customers.

Anyway...thanks for reading

Don Alm

P.S. The TIME...for those of you keeping track of my TIME...is now; 4:38pm Pacific Time.

My Midas Report
http://www.donalm.com

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page