Go to the Main Business Forum page

Products or Information? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Products or Information?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Michael S. Winicki
May 18, 2002, 10:46 PM
What are you currently marketing?

I've got a variety of items some info related some consumer products.

It seems I'm going more and more against the grain by pushing consumer products (cosmetics, collectibles). Why?

I think the information market has changed completely since the net became popular. And right now the competition is fierce for any Internet related product. Remember--competition is one of the key components of driving down your profits. Heck, I drive down my own profits just fine without the help of many others offering something similar! But what are you selling? Are you selling an Internet related products and are you making any money? And it's not about sales either but about what you have left after you've paid out those expenses.

And while the information business has heated up dramatically over the last few years...the product market seems much better. Stores have closed...chains have consolidated...downtowns are emptier...malls don't have as much volume as they use to. Internet shopping is available but as we know many of those companies are gone. I see some real niches of opportunity in selling products at this point.

I think there are windows of opportunity in selling select information products also...like Gordon's Chattel information. Selling a product on Internet marketing or search engine positioning? Or building a profitable website? Or debt reduction? I think you're wasting a huge amount of time and effort. Too much competition results in too little profit. If you want to work for free help a non-profit. But if you want to really make some money then find a niche.

Mike Winicki

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page