Go to the Main Business Forum page

Need ideas for a "Business Community Security Tips" handout [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a "Business Community Security Tips" handout

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

palmanator
June 10, 2007, 10:02 PM
I recently had one of those "aha" moments.

I get a lot of calls for surveillance camera installation from the Costco website.

I got one Friday, and I have a meeting with the prospect this Tuesday.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

But when I was getting the address from the prospect for the meeting, something happened that, after hanging up, I realized I had the potential of a very powerful marketing tool.

What happened was that when the lady gave me her address, I recognized it as just being a few blocks away from another business I had installed a Costco system in a few months back.

Just trying to add to my credibilty, I asked her if she knew where Play It Again Sports was.

She said yes, and asked me why?

I told her we had recently installed a system there.

She then asked if they had been broken into.

I said, "Yes, and it happened about 2 weeks after I installed the system".

She commented that it must be someone targeting the area, as she knew of 3 more businesses that had also been hit within a few blocks.

SO..........it hit me.

I decided to create a 1 page "Woodinville Business Community Security Tips" flyer. (I will create one for each city I serve, so it will be more "local")

It will be a 1 page tip sheet, but it won't look like an ad.

I am designing an "official looking logo", and the sheet will be SPONSORED by Seattle Security Services"...which is my company.

So, there are 2 reasons for posting this.

One is for ideas that YOU might think would give it "sticking power". I am looking for info that might be on it, design ideas, etc.

I thought about laminating it, or possibly having it printed on an 8x10 magnet.

So, first...any ideas.

The idea is to have a lot of them in the truck, and when I install a system, walk around to a number of the businesses in the area and drop them off, with a note telling them of the recent "activity" in their area.

My guess is that it will generate calls.

Next...and here is where YOU might be able to make some money.

It hit me that anyone can scan the newspapers, and get the recent police reports of burglaries in area, and drive to the area and drop off their own version of the tips sheet.

And here is how you can make money doing it.

Contact a number of security companies in your area, and ask them if they will pay you for lead generation.

If they will, you can turn this into a real nice side income, and you don't have to do any of the work or incur any of the liability.

You put YOUR number in it, and take the calls.

Then, you just get the "warm lead" to your joint venture security company...and collect a check.

Of course, that's if the flyer works...and I will try and keep track of the results to help you know how to do it.

Always thinking...and always doing!
John Palma

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page