Go to the Main Business Forum page

How to Lose 450 pounds and let a fortune slip through your fingers... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to Lose 450 pounds and let a fortune slip through your fingers...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

GordonJ
September 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
Stimulus/Response.

S= Ran into a guy the other day who, as a kid, used to load up Big Daddy's (Papa Felice) car with chicken to take back to the pizza shop.

R= This post.

I wrote about Papa Felice in "Pizza in the Oven" (when I find the post I'll link to it)...

Papa Felice's was a pizza shop at the center of my childhood universe. I started working full time there when I was 15 and all through high school, that is where you'd find me.

Papa weighed, maybe 600 to 700 pounds. That is why he was known as Big Daddy. When he passed away he was barely over 200 pounds, and he lost the weight by eating less. Instead of consuming a large pizza for lunch, he had a salad.

He made that Jared guy in the Subway (TM) commercials look skinny (before he started marching off to Subway every day).

So, if you want to lose weight...eat less and exercise. Gosh, I should maybe sell that as the ULTIMATE EASY (to understand) FDA approved, FTC examined and inspected, Doctor certified Proven to Never Fail DIET (oh, I'd include a placebo pill to make them think it was magic)...

OK. OK.

It was 1966 about this time of the year. I remember this as if it happened yesterday. A guy, a regular, came into the shop and for the umpteenth time he told Fred (Big Daddy)...

"Papa, you've got to franchise this place." Only on this occassion he brought along a bunch of paperwork...forms, charts, graphs, pro formas... what was then a "template" of how to start a franchise.

All Papa had to do was sign away about 20% of his FUTURE profits...nothing out of pocket...nothing but UPSIDE.

As a 16 year old kid schooled in investing (I had a class in the 8th grade, hey, I picked Texas Instruments in 1963 for my $1,000.00 of classroom money...I once figured out what that investment would have grown to in the decade that followed...then I cried)...anyhow...

I thought a string of Papa Felice's restaurants would be a great idea. I imagined these pizza shops spread out all over the country...like a McDonalds and Burger King were being spread back in those days.

But, alas, Papa just wasn't interested. He was a happy camper with what he had, making a decent living, playing poker in the back room with his buds.

The pizza he made, well, IF you were able to eat one today, you'd cry because of the crap they sell and call it pizza. Everything, and I'm talking from scratch here...was homemade.

When I first started working there, he didn't even have a Hobart mixer...we made the dough by HAND. We made the sauce. We ground the cheese, we made fresh sausage...it was regarded for 20 years as THE STANDARD of pizzas in our area.

Papa Felice could have been a BILLIONAIRE. This guy, Papa John, with his pizza like substance, has become one...and more than one person who franchised or LICENSED his product has become a multi-GAzillionaire too.

So here is my question for your consideration...WHAT do you have floating around in your brain, like a dead fish in an aquarium while you are on vacation, what is there...

that YOU could

"franchise"...or the easier and just as profitable route: LICENSE?

This whole "licensing" concept that Harvey Brody and Ben Suarez are using to amass mega fortunes is so darn fascinating...and so eye opening...

so much a WHACK UP SIDE THE HEAD...that one just has to wonder about what is inside their noodle that could make them a boodle?

And the SWEET thing about it is, just like there was back in 1965/66 people who knew and understood the process...who were involved in DOING franchising/licensing etc.

there are people today, and the wonderful INTERNET...to expedite things that will make your head spin.

I'll have more to say at my blog about this. A blog that could be on the move as soon as I figure out how to upload WordPress to my site.

Thanks for your time and attention, and YOU'RE WELCOME for the "ULTIMATE...EASY... DIET" TOO.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. The understanding of the diet is very EASY. The execution...well, that is literally, in your hands, isn't it?

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page