Go to the Main Business Forum page

A direct response mystery... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A direct response mystery...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

-TW
January 7, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ok. here's my latest sob story...

I placed a full-page ad in a trade journal. The ad directs the reader to a website.

I can track how many people go to the site.

The site gives them 3 ways to buy:

1) Send me a check

2) Pay via credit card

3) Pay via paypal.

Here's the mystery...

On Jan 2, I went to the post office to get the mail. There were 2 orders -- both postmarked 12/29.

Meanwhile, orders were coming in via cc's + paypal. The first cc/paypal orders started 12/27. As the magazine is delivered, it hits the country in waves (sent 3rd-class mail), depending on geography.

So, I'm expecting the orders to fit into some kind of bell curve pattern. None, then some, then lots, then some , then none.

But -- and here's the real mystery -- when I went to the mailbox today (1/7) -- the mailbox was EMPTY!

That means, out of all the people who visited the site, many ordered via cc + paypal, but only TWO people (on the SAME DAY), bought using a check?!?!

No bell curve pattern. No "doubleday." Just a cosmic coincidence of TWO + ONLY TWO people choosing to buy that way, BOTH doing it on the same day -- then NO ONE ELSE thereafter?!?! Even though dozens + dozens of people have viewed the site -- and many have ordered using the online methods.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any ideas on how this could be?

Thanks!

-- TW

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page