Go to the Main Business Forum page

How will Barack Obama as president affect YOUR business? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How will Barack Obama as president affect YOUR business?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Dien Rice
January 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
Barack Obama is president!

Of course, this is a historic moment... As they keep saying in the news. But...

What does this mean for your business?

Only time will tell, but maybe the following could be a little "hint" of what may be to come...

Direct marketing maestro Joseph Sugarman has a theory about presidents and business. The president can have a big effect on your business!

This effect is through how the president affects the psychology of the nation... Joe Sugarman says this in his book, "Marketing Secrets of a Mail Order Maverick".

The USA sees the president as a kind of "father figure". If the president is strong and confident, then the people also tend to feel strong and confident. This boost in people's confidence tends to boost their spending, which in turn helps to boost business.

However, when the president is weak and indecisive, then that people tend to also feel the same way. Their spending drops, which hurts businesses, since businesses make fewer sales.

What will Barack Obama be like?

Only time will tell, of course. But so far, he seems to be a very thoughtful, yet decisive leader. At least that's my impression so far, based on the campaign he's run, and the time between the election and now.

What do you think? How will Barack Obama as a "father figure" for the nation affect business?

I think a change away from Bush - any change - will probably give people a little bit of a confidence boost. At least the idea that something different is being tried, which should work better than what was done before.

One thing I've gathered from Obama's recent talks is a sense that... We have to get together, we're in this together. We have to work together to get ourselves out of this.

I feel this is "right on". We have to work together. We have to help each other. Here at Sowpub, and more widely as well.

The new soon to be "re-launched" SeedZine is a step in that direction too. Gordon and I will work our butts off to give something of what we know, to help as many people out as possible.

We should work together more. Partnerships are powerful.

What are you going to be doing for 2009?

A new year is ahead of us. Many new opportunities. (I'll be writing about some of the new opportunities I see in the near future...)

But this is not about me... It's about you. What will YOU do?

It's a new year, and a new president, and maybe even a new "psychology" of the nation. Let's make the most of it!

Best wishes :)

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page