Go to the Main Business Forum page

Jerry Healey The voice of Akron has passed away. [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Healey The voice of Akron has passed away.

GordonJ
February 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
Jerry Healey and Jay Bird Drennan were the voices of Akron radio during the 60's and 70's.

Jerry had a great morning show, was funny without the vulgarity that permeates the air waves today. Jerry and his wife Judi were smart people and were very social.

I met Jerry ON AIR. His wife, Judi, had asked us to do one of our OFF KEY SINGING TELEGRAMS (you can read the story about the business on SowPub HOME page).

We gave it everything we had, full two part kazoos, sliding whistle, and my personal AWFUL verse just for Jerry. He almost fell on the floor from laughing. I then did an encore of "You are my sunshine".

His wife was taking pictures. For the rest of the week, Jerry mentioned us several times, complete with phone number.

Judi was a writer for the Akron Beacon Journal and she featured us in her column in the Beacon Magazine. From that article we were picked up by other local media and ended the run on the Morning Exchange (popular TV show) with Fred Griffith who also gave out our number.

It was because of Jerry Healey that I never had to spend another dime on advertising. He didn't have to talk about us, but he was a great guy, and he just thought we were the greatest gift sinced sliced white bread.

Jerry and Judi moved from Akron many years ago to warmer temps (see, I said they were smart). I was sad to hear of Jerry's passing, but the thought of Jerry and Judi put a smile on my face. Great people.

My sincere condolences go to Judi and his family and friends.

Here is the story about Jerry in today's Akron Beacon Journal:

http://www.ohio.com/news/39187937.html

My list of favorite Akron area people just keeps getting shorter.

Jerry Healey
Jay Bird Drennan
Ed Barr
Burt Morgan

All of whom I've written about here.

Great people, who haven't been forgotten.

G. Jay Alexander

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page