Go to the Main Business Forum page

Going out like a lion, like how I came on. [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Going out like a lion, like how I came on.

GordonJ
March 17, 2009, 09:09 PM
I've decided to POST like a bee in late Autumn who feels the crisp fall air whispering in his ear, your days are numbered little bee. Hopefully, there will be something useful, if not, screw you. HA!

Borrowed that from Harry Chapin, one of my personal heroes.

So for the next week or so, I'll be posting more than usual, and revealing some things I've never discussed before, why not? You gonna be mad at me? (Read the last sentence in paragraph one again)!!

I'll start by telling you about 2 events that happened 50 years ago in the Spring of 1959. One of those events I've written about extensively, you can find "Flower Power Selling" somewhere in the archives.

That Spring I was healed by Rev. Ernest Angley and I sold fresh flowers door-to-door to the neighborhood.

A neighbor, Mrs. Ilg asked me to gather her some fresh flowers from the field that was once a nursery and had gone to seed. On my way to and from the field, a guy washing his car gave me "tips" and sent me around the neighborhood selling flowers for a nickel a bunch and I made 75 cents in less than a half an hour.

He then hired me for a quarter to help him wax his cars, and I spent over an hour doing what I considered to be HARD physcial work. I've written about that, that was the day I discovered SELLING was far more fun and more lucrative than hard labor.

The young salesman sent me home with two Elmers. Elmer Wheeler and Elmer Leterman and their classic books on selling.

See, that day I discovered that words had POWER. You could say things in such a way that would make women part with cold hard cash when they all could have walked into the field and picked their own dang flowers.

I took to those books as if they secrets to a treasure chest (and indeed, they were). It started a lifelong study of human behavior, selling strategies and techniques and psychology and motivation. WORDS have power. TREMENDOUS power. And that day in 1959, I learned a very valuable life lesson on how to PRESENT yourself to people and how they PERCEIVE YOU. Presentation and perception.

Presentation and Perception ARE the two fundamental building blocks of all human interaction. Wrap your head around this, and you will create incredible changes in your life and in the life of others.

Around the same time came my "Healing". As a youngster, I was a spiritual thrill seeker. We didn't belong to a church, but my mother allowed me to go with anyone in the neighborhood who wanted to take me.

So I attended a lot of different churches, and some day, maybe, I'll tell you about some of the "weird" ones that had snakes and talking in tongues...a real carnival for a 9 year old. But on this particular Sunday, Mrs. Snyder, who lived down on Overdale Drive, took me to see her pastor, the Rev. Ernest Angley. His church here in Cuyahoga Falls in less than a mile away.

But back then, he had a tent. Well, he HAD a tent, and also the Grace Cathedral. So on this day Mrs. Snyder decided my stuttering, lisp and speech impediment were the work of the Devil, so she took me up to the altar to have Rev. Angley lay his hands on me. Well, it took me several years to stop the stutter and lisp and speech problem...and I worked hard on doing it...but, hey, who knows how bad I could have been.

So that afternoon of my "healing", feeling full of "electricity", or something, I flew around my bedroom. That week I took several flights and if you had asked me, I would have sworn on a 10 foot stack of bibles that I had indeed, flown.

About 3 years later, I heard the term Out of Body Experience. At 12, I understood that I didn't really fly, but had an OBE. Three more years would go by before I met Fran Renner, our local hypnotherpist who had an office across the hall from my NAZI dentist, who hated and tortured kids (I was sure of it).

So 50 years ago, I had two events that played important parts in my life, the day I was healed and flew and the day I sold flowers to the neighborhood women.

Gordon TO BE CONTINUED J. Alexander

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page