Go to the Main Business Forum page

"The Wizard Of Ads", a recommendation. [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "The Wizard Of Ads", a recommendation.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bozo
July 6, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm not selling this book, and I'm not making anything by recommending it. It's just a really good book and if you haven't read it already then you'd do yourself a favor by reading it.

It's about business, advertising, and marketing. Those are the keywords printed on the back cover, but I realized today that it's about much more than just business or advertising or marketing. It's about life and how to live it successfully.

That realization came about because my step grandson called me up yesterday all excited about the jet ski he just had to have. "Buy me a jet ski Bud, you're rich and you can just write a check for it." Two years ago it was an X Box and the whine was so bad that I didn't see him for two years and only spoke on the phone a couple of times. I love the kid, but my god there are limits to what a person can stand in another. His dad is one of those people who are expert liars and manipulators and it seems the trait has been passed on to son.

He came to see me last month, just dropped by while he and his granddad were out coyote hunting. I was amazed at the change in him. He was now 14 yrs old, much taller and mature looking, quiet and well mannered. I was so shocked that I mentioned it to several people that knew him. What a change!

Until the jet ski call. It's the same song, just a different verse. I'm saddened by the whole situation because there is very little I can do to influence him beyond the odd comment and keeping my eyes open for an opportunity to influence him. I told him maybe he could join a church and ask god for a jet ski, after he brushed aside any discussion about how he could earn the money he needed for a jet ski.

I think I've found that opportunity in this book. I'm going to order another copy and give it to him on his birthday. Maybe I'll give him another copy for christmas, and then the next birthday, and on until he reaches 18 years old. It's a tremendous book that I want to keep in front of him until he has the sense to keep one and read it. Worth a try, I think.

I've read it several times and keep it laying around because it's fun to pick up and thumb through. Longest chapter is three pages. It's little bites of useful information and insights, plus it tells you everything one needs to know about people, advertising, marketing, and business. All for $17.95, maybe less for used ones on Amazon.

"The Wizard Of Ads"
Subtitle
"Turning Words into Magic and Dreamers into Millionaires"

Roy H. Williams author
Bard Press
Ray Bard Publisher

ISBN 1-885167-29-6 trade paperback

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.