Go to the Main Business Forum page

"Accidental Traffic" idea, but, as usual... [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Accidental Traffic" idea, but, as usual...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Adman
August 20, 2009, 07:08 PM
The "Florist" did NOT have a clue as to what you were talking about and probably thought you were trying to "cash-in" on THEIR attention.

Case in Point; I got the SAME reaction from a Florist;

Many eons ago I had a Burglar Alarm biz in the burbs of Chgo with a good relationship with the local police dept. (I was friendly with some of the detectives)

A local radio program was promoting a "Bumper Bux" program where the guy who ran the "Oldies Show" on Saturdays would read off license plate numbers he had seen that week and.....the first person thru his door would get $1,000!

This was a promo program to get listeners to his show. This went on for about 13 weeks and had built up lots of momemtum and....for his LAST WEEK promo he got the station to agree to give a whopping $10,000 to the first person thru the door with the chosen license number.

Well....the show started at 10am Sat morn. The announcer read off 3 license plates. The FIRST owner of one of the license plates who appeared at their station BEFORE NOON...would get $10,000.

So...as the program unfolded, the announcer kept rattling off the License Numbers and NO RESPONSE!

Around 11:15 he started getting panicky and worried that he wouldn't have a BIG winner.

So...as I was listening to the urgency in his voice....I thought, "Hey! I wonder if one of my detective buddies would know the Name & Phone # of these 3 plates.

So...I called over to the police station and found that "Charley" was at his desk. I asked Charley if he'd "do me a favor" and give me the Name & Phone # of the 3 license plates.

He did...and I phoned the first 2 and no answer. The 3rd answered. It was a local Florist Shoppe. I introduced myself and told her that IF....I told her EXACTLY WHAT TO DO WITHIN THE NEXT 30 MINUTES....IF....SHE RECEIVED ANY MONEY FROM WHAT I TOLD HER....SHE WOULD GIVE ME 10% OF ANY MONIES RECEIVED!

She agreed.

So....I told her that IF she went down to the Radio Station BEFORE Noon and gave them her License Plate Number....they would give her some money.

And I reminded her of our "10% Agreement".

She agreed and went down to the station whereupon when she entered the station...all heck broke loose. The announcer went Ape. He had his winner and signed a check over to her for 10 grand.

Well...they placed a mic in front of her when they handed her the check and she said; "Ya! This is really strange. Some guy called me and told me that if I went down to your station before noon...I could collect some money AND...whatever I collected he wanted me to give him 10 percent!

With this the announcer said, "Well! There ARE a lot of "Opportunists" out there and whatever YOU want to do with YOUR money...is entirely up to you!"

With this the show ended and you can probably guess the results.

Yup! About an hour later I called her and said "I" was the one who told her what to do to win some money and she had agreed to give me 10% of whatever she received.

Her comment was; "Well! It was MY License Plate Number that was chosen and me and my husband do not think you are entitled to anything!"

Thus....I told her to "enjoy her new found wealth" and hung up.

Thus is "Human Nature".

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Don Alm

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page