Go to the Main Business Forum page

I need some help with some ideas on selling a car [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with some ideas on selling a car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Chuck
December 26, 2010, 01:00 AM
Perhaps you can help me with a problem I am having selling a car. Here are the details:

I was in the market for a used car. Nothing fancy. Just a reliable mini-van in a price range of no more than $5,000.

My wife and I went to a car auction and found a couple of vehicles which were possibilities. One of them, a 2003 KIA met our criteria and other one had a book value higher than what we were willing to pay but it was a nice car.

At the auction, we bought the KIA. The other vehicle was coming up in the auction about ten minutes later so we decided to stay and see what it sold for. As the vehicle was being auctioned, no one was bidding so the auctioneer kept lowering the starting bid price. When he took it down to about 40% of book value, I bid. Soon there was more bidding but I ended up getting it at a real good price.

So now, I'm trying to sell the KIA. I posted it on Craigslist but didn't get one phone call. I also have the car parked on the street with a For Sale sign on it but so far, no phone calls.

I have the car competitively priced but I can't even get any "tire kickers."

I would really appreciate any ideas on what I can do to sell this car quickly.

I don't want to consign it to the auction because of the commission and fees I would have to pay. Also, I don't want to lose money on the car and there is the possibility of it selling at the auction for a very low price there.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chuck

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page