Go to the Main Business Forum page

Should you have more than one string to your bow? [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should you have more than one string to your bow?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Dien Rice
March 29, 2014, 10:36 PM
I talked about having more than one string to your bow... But what does that mean?

I was trained in physics, and have an expertise there... But what else?

I once took a sales job, in order to learn sales skills... Zing! That's another string!

I've created web pages for myself, but also to help a commercial business...

Presses releases wrote, I did (that's my best Yoda impression!), for my friend who owns a restaurant... Over time, these have resulted in 4 different newspaper articles - one positive full page review in a large metropolitan newspaper, and 3 positive articles in smaller local papers. If you had paid for that space at commercial ad rates, it's about $80,000 worth of promotion, for free!

(I did these for free, to help him out, but I could easily charge, especially now that I have a positive proven track record...)

That's another "string"...

Copywriting is another one. I've also been well paid for editing work I've done...

I made a living for a time by "chatteling"... Created and profited from newsletters... And acquired the exclusive rights to copyrighted works I've gone on to sell and profit from...

Was this wise? I take a long term view... They are all "survival skills"... If the opportunities for one of these dries up, I've got a half a dozen more things to fall back on!

To me, that's probably one of the best kinds of "security" there is...!

I hope you benefited from this post. Now, what about your own situation?

- DR

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page