Go to the Main Business Forum page

My "4-Step Program to Success"... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My "4-Step Program to Success"...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Don Alm
February 3, 2015, 05:18 PM
My so-called "Guidance Counselors" in high school gave me the "TOTALLY WRONG" Guidance as to what I should pursue....as per my existing Personality!

I was told I was an "INTRO-vert"! A "Totally SHY GUY"!

Even though I was the quarterback on the football team and President of the Senior Men's Club......THEY suggested I pursue a career in "Engineering" where I could use my "Math Skills" to advantage.

Their suggestions.....when I won a Football Scholarship to Northwestern Univ caused me to go into "Engineering".....and, I chose "Electrical Enginneering".

So.....I pursued a career in that field and after college, I applied for a job with General Electric in Chgo and.....got it.

However....2 wks into the job I went to an office luncheon where a secretary called me aside and told me "I had replaced a guy who was just about to retire and collect all his "Retirement Rights" BUT.....they fired him and replaced him with me....at half price.

So....that evening I went home to my young wife and told her; "Let's see, if I work for GE for the next 30yrs and just before I'm about to retire they "kick me out!.....I don't think I want to live under those conditions"!

So....my wife asks; "So....what do you want to do?"

I responded with: "I'm going to CREATE MY OWN "JOB" WHERE I CONTROL MY INCOME and WRITE MY OWN CHECKS!"

She asked; "HOW you going to do that?" I told her I would find a business I could start! So.....I spent the next 6 mos HUNTING for some kind of biz I could start....and...I saw an Ad in the Biz Op classifieds of the Wall Street Journal that told about a "New Type of Home Alarm System".

This SPARKED my interest so....the next weekend I flew down to the Co in Florida.....looked at their program and signed up for a Dealership. Went home and Started a one man biz called "Security Associates""......FROM OUR APARTMENT!

And....THE REASON FOR POSTING THIS TODAY IS.....shortly after deciding to start my own biz......I saw an ad to sign up for a Dale Carnegie 6 wk course in Salesmanship. How To SELL!

Yikes....my whole life, up to then had been in "Intro-Version".....I REALLY WAS.....SHY! BUT.....because I wanted to provide a "Good Life" for my wife and me and any kids we'd have.....I knew I had to "BITE THE BULLET" .... throw away my "Slide-Rule" ..."Lab Rat" mentality and GO FOR THE GUSTO by.....learning everything I could about.....SALES! HOW TO SELL STUFF and, no where better than a Dale Carnegie course.

So....I signed up and....at the end of the sessions was honored with the "Class Trophy" for being the "Guy with the Best Potential!"

Anyways....getting back to my reason for THIS post today is.....I was talking with a newcomer "sales student" for one of my projects who wanted me to explain the "Secret to my Sales Success".....and that caused me to go back and remember the Dale Carnegie Course that....CHANGED MY LIFE!

So....here it is; In that course I learned the ONE....KEY....item to always include and make sure I consider in ANY sales situation is.....get ready, here it comes.....EMOTION! "EMOTION" has been the KEY to my ability to Sell and build successful Sales Teams!

Most sales courses talk about "How To get Your Prospects ATTENTION..... then.....Build their INTEREST.....get them involved.....then, CLOSE! ask for the order! The old....AIC program....Attention, Interest, Close!

BUT.....THIS Course brought in an element I've use in most every Sales Presentation. DESIRE and EMOTION!

OK.....HOW can we bring "Desire and Emotion" into ANY.....Sales Situation where we are desirous of Selling something to someone?

I "PAINT A WORD PICTURE....of my prospect using MY Thingee...and Benefiting from it......whatever it is AND.....talk about how HE WILL FEEL when HIS customers/clients/patients .....react and buy.....the thingee I'm selling.

I'll never forget the FIRST customer for my newly formed Burglar Alarm biz; Somehow....I got an appointment with a Dentist....in his home at 7pm one evening in a nearby suburb. I went to his home....brought my system into his family room.....set it up on the floor (it was a big box thing) and..... demonstrated WHAT my system could do THEN.....I brought EMOTION into the scene by telling him the "FEELING OF PEACE and LACK OF CONCERN for the safety of his family he would enjoy when my System was installed!

Yikes! Talk about a TURN-ABOUT in attitude! The dentist was sort of "dis-interested" during my demo of how the System worked BUT.....when I brought out the "SAFETY & SECURITY" of HIS family.....his attitude changed to HIGH INTEREST!...and...not only did I get an order from him, I also got orders from 3 Neighbors who saw me installing my system on Saturday.....which caused me to submit my resignation to GE the following Monday....and I went ON to great things "WORKING FOR MY SELF
... CONTROLLING MY OWN DESTINY!

So.....what does THIS mean to YOU? Make sure you bring EMOTION into every one of your Sales Pitches or any situation where YOU...want.... someone else to BUY..... what YOU are selling!

Thanks for reading,

Don Alm......getting ready to tell a Roofer why he should buy my "Video Ranking" Video and pay me....OODLES A MONTH!.....because HE won't have to worry or be concerned about WHERE....his next job is coming from SO... can think about going to Maui this Spring to See his new GrandDaughter!

You Kiddin' ME! EMOTION SELLS!

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page