Go to the Main Business Forum page

New approach - a grocery which runs on the honor system [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New approach - a grocery which runs on the honor system

Dien Rice
April 6, 2015, 10:23 PM
Hi,

Many side-of-the-road farm stands run on the honor system. This means that you go to the stand, take the things you want to buy, then put the money in a box, and drive away.

One guy got inspired by this model, and has created a whole organic grocery store in Kansas City, based on the honor system!

His system uses some electronics. First, customers pay a $60 per year membership fee. They then get a PIN number which allows them access to the store 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I'm presuming that each customer gets a different PIN number.

Customers then go into the store and pick up all the goods that they want. Then they use another system, based on an iPad, to calculate what they owe. They can then put in their credit card, and pay that way! Alternatively they can also put their payment as cash or as a check, into a box.

I thought it was fascinating!

One of the benefits of the system, for the store owner, is that it requires a lot fewer employees. In fact, he can probably run the whole thing himself single-handedly (if he wanted to).

If you want to find out more about this new approach to the honor system, you can read more here...

How One Grocery Store Is Modernizing the Honor System
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/240763

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. The article didn't say anything about security cameras, however, I am guessing he does use them. This also gives him a way to check up on how honest his customers are. If he suspects any theft, he can check the security cameras. Because of the PIN no. system, he'll know exactly what customer is in the store, at what time... Thus, greatly reducing the risk of theft.

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page