Go to the Main Business Forum page

A quick and easy way to get into the music publishing business! [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A quick and easy way to get into the music publishing business!

Pages : [1] 2

Dien Rice
February 20, 2016, 06:40 PM
I've always had an interest in new and unusual - yet ethical - ways to make money...

To that end, I've tried many things... I've done chatteling (and made money), wrote and published a newsletter (made nice profits), ran an event - a commercial movie screening (lost money, but thankfully not too much)... and plenty of other things!

One way of making money I've always been interested in have been intellectual property rights!

Did you know you can buy intellectual property rights - and make money from them?

What are intellectual property rights?

Well, they are copyrights, patents, trademarks, and even "trade secrets"...

Ideally, you could buy intellectual property rights, and just "rent" them out, and make a profit!

Of course, things aren't always so easy... Usually, I've found, there is some work involved. If you want to make real money, it helps to be able to promote your intellectual property, to others who may want to use them...

However, there is definitely good money to be made here. That's why the Disney corporation was willing to pay $4 billion dollars for all the Star Wars intellectual property!

I haven't yet seen the latest Star Wars film (I gotta see it still!), but from the box office takings, it seems like it was a good investment! Not to mention all the people who went out to see the earlier movies, to "catch up" before watching the latest one... Plus all that merchandise!

Okay, what I'm actually getting at, though, is a different kind of intellectual property, which is...

...Music!

I've been fascinated about the idea of buying music copyrights. And now you can!

There's one auction on right now on Royalty Exchange... For "Brian Tarquin’s TV Film Trax Catalog, Publishing and Masters"...

And, coming up, an auction for "Arnakata Music Ltd. 332 Song Catalog"...

Are these good auctions to bid on? I think it depends on who you are, and what you can also bring to the table...

If you want to get into background music for film, TV, even YouTube videos, the Brian Tarquin catalog could be a great way to get your "foot in the door"...

The Arnakata Music catalog includes the rights for music by the Eurhythmics, the Bee Gees, and others!

Anyway, if this whets your palate, you can check 'em out here...

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/auction-type/overview/

I have nothing to do with that company, just wanted to share it with any Sowpubbers interested in new kinds of opportunities!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. If you come across any interesting or unusual businesses or opportunities, please share it with us too... :)

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page