SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting business stuff done - the Power of Routines...! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9123)

palmanator April 9, 2015 03:57 PM

Re: Getting business stuff done - the Power of Routines...!

Rob Perry,

THANKS for the link to your card "system".

I REALLY like the evaluation process that is detailed on pages 27-28.

I have been so focused on getting the discipline of the process down since starting my system - that I haven't really thought much about the evaluation of the actual results.

I now see that I must ALSO craft that into the system as well, as over time, it will make a difference.

Wow - what a benefit of being with like minded folks.

Thanks again!

John Palma

palmanator April 9, 2015 04:12 PM

"Small steps over time" - man - 4 small words but so big when it comes to results.

SPIRITUAL WARNING ALERT - SPIRITUAL WARNING ALERT!!!

In the concept of small steps - one of the things I have wanted to do for many years is memorize scripture.

My favorite book of the Bible is Hebrews.

So on Jan 1, my 2015 goal was to memorize the whole book of Hebrews.

So far, I am almost finished with chapter 3.

IF I keep going, I MAY have the whole book done by the end of the year.

I'm 62, and looking back - it really bothers me that I wanted to do more memorizing over the years, but always was going to "get to it tomorrow" - and "tomorrow" never seemed to work out.

So - that was one of the non-negotiable tasks I made a card for.

The difference has been the plan - the cards - providing small daily FOCUSED times to "get'er done".

I remember thinking during those firsat few days - "man - I'm getting nowhere".

But NOW - 99 days later, I have almost finished 3 CHAPTERS of the book.

The days of focus has paid off.

I'm now periodically having to deal with the regret of - "if only I had been doing this years ago".

But - that's part of learning I guess.

I have 11 children (9 girls - 2 boys) - and jusy about the time the last one was marrying and leaving home, I FINALLY felt like I knew how to be a parent.

Oh well - it is what it is :-)

SPIRITUAL WARNING ALERT HAS ENDED!

John Palma

Dien Rice April 10, 2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryny (Post 34846)
Hey Palmanator,

I've been using a similar index card system for several years. I think you're completely spot on with why this system works.

You summed up the foundation very nicely right here:
"I just "get through the cards" - one step (card) at a time - and at the end of the day - if I executed the task on each card - it doesn't matter if I did it at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock - hope that makes sense."
This makes absolute perfect sense.

If you have a project you want to complete, you need to spend time on it. Probably daily, or just about.

If you can simply commit to pulling out a project card and doing one small block of time on whatever is listed on one of your cards, you're making progress.

Ignore your cards for a period, and you're letting your project slip away from you.

Below is a link to an excerpt of a report I wrote recently, which includes my "Project Cards" system. I think you'll find it interesting and hopefully helpful.

[url]http://www.outsizedresponse.com/SOWPub/ProjectCards.pdf[/url

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your card system! You know why?

It really looks like a great system for keeping yourself "on track" with projects!

Kind of like a modified check-list system, but which keeps track of time, too... Which sometimes you gotta do...

I'm going to try it out. :)

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Dien

TommyBoy April 14, 2015 02:44 PM

Dien, this is very interesting. A few years back I had a website Top 12 Daily or some such (lost interest after I missed one day and then another and then another...).

Lists of Ideas have always been easy for me. Implementing them if they were implementable, well, not so much.

Just today as I was thinking of an upcoming move, I wrote (during lunch at a sandwich shop so I had limited time)
10 Reasons to Hire Movers
and
10 Reasons NOT to hire movers.

While I was in that mindset, I wrote

10 reasons to ask friends to help you move,
and

10 reasons NOT to ask friends to help you move

For each of those lists, I got to about 5 or 6 easily and was stumped. Then the creativity kicked in.

I'm going to explore this notion of ideas being used as currency.

Thanks for mentioning his site.

Don Alm April 14, 2015 05:21 PM

Right On.....Tommy!

I put together a FREE Guide called ...."The 7 Things You MUST Know Before Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney!" Questions like - Should I hire a Personal Injury Attorney?......or, How do I choose a Reputable Personal Injury Attorney?...or, What will it cost me to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?"

Now......Personal Injury Attorneys make a BUNDLE (usually 1/3 of what the victim is awarded).....most times into the Millions!

So.....when I showed this "Guide".....and the way I have of getting Potential Clients for a Personal Injury Attorney to......four (4) possible Attorney Candidates....they went Bonkers and.....just like the post I made about telling Car Buyers to come to my home.....AT THE SAME TIME!!!

I stimulated their GREED GLANDS and.....as I said in my contact with the 4 Law Firms....."FIRST ONE THAT WANTS IT.....at MY Price....GETS IT!"

So.....go buy a copy of Robert Cialdini's book...."Influence.....the Psychology of Persuasion"!

And.....the "Big Ticket" Niche I'm working on now; ROOFING CONTRACTORS!

FREE GUIDE....."7 Things you MUST know before hiring a Roofing Company!"

Things like; "How Can I be SURE I'm getting quoted a Fair Price?"and,
"How do I choose the RIGHT Roofer for MY Situation?"
and...."How can I make SURE I'm dealing with a Reputable Roofing Company?"

Again.....when I show 4 Roofers HOW I'm planning on getting "Roofing Customers" for ONE Roofing Co and,,,,,the FIRST ONE that Wants to Pay MY Fee.....gets it!

So......thanks for bringing up the subject of "FREE Guide - 7 Things you MUST Know about.......!"

Don Alm......STILL using "psychology" to get clients