SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help w/email-related list business idea, pls (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110)

Biztips June 24, 2007 06:26 PM

Help w/email-related list business idea, pls

Okay, hubby wants to retire, we've been talking about a business idea but wondered if anyone is doing something similar OR if anyone knows where/how we can find more info on this concept.

Basically, the idea is to start a local email distribution list that has lunch specials from local restaurants. Restaurant owners would pay to advertise but it would be free for people to join the list.

It seems to have lots of advantages - lots of business people, in particular, go out to lunch and look for specials or new places to try. Restaurants offer weekly or daily specials to entice customers IN, but lots of people don't know about those specials. Would think this could be a cost-effective way for restaurant people to advertise. Could grow into multiple lists, too (Mexican-food only, downtown only, weekend list, et cetera.)

Our biggest puzzle right now is which comes first, the advertisers or the list? No restaurant owner is gonna wanna pay until there are enough list owners to promote to (what's enough? 500? 1000?) but no one will want to join the list until they know what restaurants they'll get specials from.

Any ideas? Problems you see?

I have multiple websites of my own and think it would be easy to set up a site/autoresponder for this - and hubby thinks it sounds fun to go around talking to restaurant owners!

Thanks a bunch!

Diana
http://www.InsidersGuideToShoppingOnline.com
Learn how to save big and shop safe!

Pete Egeler June 24, 2007 07:48 PM

Re: Help w/email-related list business idea, pls

For starters..

Since it's not an "emergancy situation at this time.. Get yourself some "ballot boxes" to put out at each location, and get some name/address/email tear pads made up.

Offer some restaurants 30-days Free Trial, then begin charging.

Heck, even if you've only got 2-3 "freebie" restaurants at the start, you've got fodder for future calls.

Pete

Ravedesigns June 24, 2007 08:46 PM

Hey Diana,

I think that's a great idea as I'm working on something similar for my area, and since you don't have to risk a lot to try this in your town I think you should by all means go for it!

My plan for the restaurants in my area is to offer them a free webpage business listing, offer to put their entire menu with photos online for $30 a month, and also offer to develop an email marketing list for them and maybe charge $50 a month for that service.

www.loyalcustomerclub.com does something similar for about $100 a month with drop boxes and forms for people to fill out - but personally I'd rather get them to go online and join a restaurants list and offer an incentive to do so - instead of having to re-enter all their information from a paper form into an email system.

HTH,

Steve Solem
www.ravedesigns.com

P.S. Another option would be to develop just one mailing list for your town and then once you get a number of people subscribed you can charge restaurants to advertise in your newsletter - but I think it would be best for each restaurant to have their own list.

Tim Thach June 26, 2007 02:39 AM

Hi Diana,

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to chime in here with some thoughts of my own.

***DISCLAIMER***

I have not put this plan into action. Therefore, I cannot promise nor attest to any results.

I was doing some research on the SowPub archives and other places for ideas like this. Most came from Don Alm. Thanks Don!

Anywho, I’ll give you what I’ve got so far, and my personal sticky wickets.

Get out ye olde telephone book. Go to the Restaurant section and start dialing. Ask the restaurant if they have daily specials. If not, move on. If they do, ask what are they offering on which days and what is the price. Also, ask for the name of who is in charge of deciding what their daily specials will be. Write that name down along with the restaurants name and phone number. Make a list of 10 restaurants. On your computer, make a “daily special” template for each business day of the week with plenty of room around the border for advertisements. Now you have a good template to build on as an example to show your prospects.

Determine/create demand: Call or visit local business offices. Speak with the office manager or equivalent. Have an example of what they would be receiving. If you’re not going to visit the offices, then ask them to accept an email from you or direct them to your website that will show them the example. Ask them if they are interested. If so, document their name, the date, business name, etc. This is IMPORTANT; ask them how many people they think will see the menu. This is key also; ask them if they prefer see specials from any particular restaurants. Take notes! You’ll use all of this information later. Ask them to clear it with the boss/owner and tell them that you’ll call back later (if needed) to see if it’s a “go.” Remember those restaurants you contacted before for their daily specials? You can call them again for the same information so you are ready to start sending your email/faxes once an office signs up.

Build this up until you have what you think is an accept distribution level. (i.e. one hundred offices, with a circulation of 500 viewers.) Your distribution network is now in place. Also, in a lot of businesses, there are many offices. Make sure you have a way for others to opt-in. You may want to consider having a “home delivery” version too. That’s in case the office workers want to know who’s offering what specials for dinner for their families.

Now I need to create two categories of payers; Sponsors and Advertisers.

The Sponsors are the restaurants which pay a low monthly fee per xxx distributed. They also have to provide what their daily specials are going to be at least 10 days in advance. They should also include any further customer enticements and meal pricing.

Monday 6/25/07
Fred’s Fabulous Fish Fingers and Chips
Beer batter shrimp/ all you can eat
$7.95 (includes free medium drink!)

La Fiesta Grande
Any Combo Platter
$5.95 (includes free antacid)

Los Angeles Class Submarines
Our nuclear powered spicy chicken sub
$3.95 (free if you can finish it before it finishes you!)

Etc.

If you’re going to use a fax, the problem (as I see it) is that this format requires daily sending. Though, I’m almost sure that if you use an e-fax service, they can schedule fax deliveries for you. If you go the email route, your autoresponder fixes that, because you can schedule email delivery.

Okay, back to the Sponsors. You’re going to have to SHOW them what you’re going to distribute. In your example or mock-up, show them the format in which you would be broadcasting. If possible, have their restaurant featured in first place as an example. List other real, local, restaurants along with theirs. This is a “me too” tool of persuasion.

Tell them the number of interested business and estimated circulation. Tell them how many offices specifically requested daily specials from them. Offer them at least two different pricing plans, (i.e. 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months.) Then ask them which plan they would like to purchase. (Assume the sale.)

Now work out the way they will provide you with the information you’ll need from them (what’s special on what days and how much, etc.)

Wash , rinse, repeat.

I would run this for a few of weeks to build up your sponsors and iron out the delivery bugs. Then I’m gonna get out my big guns and go for the big $$. That’s right, we’re talking about the Advertisers now.

You OWN this tool booth to gainfully employed, well paid, CONSUMERS. Do you think Fast Freddie’s Fine Family of Fords is gonna pay, and pay well for this laser targeted, existing/active/current, and growing distribution network of yours? Yes indeedy! Who else can you name? Fitness centers, tax preparers, doctors, dentists, and on and on.

Reaching out and capturing the Advertisers. As I said, I haven’t actually put this plan into action. And there are a lot of ways to reach out to businesses. But, here’s how I would do it.

Capture any hard data from your autoresponder or e-fax service pertaining to the number of contacts, frequency of deliver, etc. Also include your estimated circulation. Go to www.elance.com and pay a copywriter to create your marketing letter to the Advertisers. Since you’ll be including your hard data along with good copy, this should be an easy sell to any business. Send your marketing letter through snail mail, or UPS/FED EX. I would simply address it to the Marketing Office. i.e. FFFF of Fords, ATTN. Marketing Office, etc. I would include your pricing plans in the body of marketing letter. Don’t forget to include an example of the daily menu fax/email with most (not all) of the ad-space on the menu filled with local business adverts. Cut and paste ads from your local phone book, or even better, your on-line local telephone directory.

This is my personal sticky wicket. What in the world do I ask businesses for when they do sign up? I have to have a copy of their advertisement in order for this to work. But I don’t know what exactly I should ask for. Their .pdf template of their ad? I just don’t know. Sorry.

Finally, make sure to have your business contact info and opt-out info on the bottom of the menu form.

Well, that’s as far as I’ve got in my plan. Build it up, sell it, and make another program in another city, wash, rinse, repeat, retire.

I sincerely hope that I’ve helped out.

P.S. Radio station guides for car rental businesses? Why not?! Again, thanks Don Alm!

Tim

djc94509 June 27, 2007 10:56 PM

I've done this.
FaxCash is the program being sold on the 'ol www.
I actually had a telemarketing firm cold calling offices to build my send list as you need permission to fax. I'd set up the PC's faxmodem to blast these out at 2am so the offices had it sitting in the inbox when they got to work. I even had a drawing for a free friday pizza (easy to trade this with a listing on the fax). I had a few paying clients and a fax list of 1000+ "potential" viewers of the daily fax.
There are pitfalls, like any other opportunity (too many to list here) but mail me if you want details.
I had high hopes for this one and never completely burried the idea, just been doing other things lately.

mypictureads June 28, 2007 06:17 PM

I have been wanting to do this for a long time but this type of business requires a lot of time..especially during office hours and so I've left it on the back burner for now. I even have the perfect domain name registered: www.lunchtimespecials.com

some day or maybe I'll just sell the domain name to someone who is more motivated than I am.