SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trouble Deciding Which Direction To Go? Use The CARVER Matrix! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4050)

Goldblogger May 31, 2007 11:18 PM

Trouble Deciding Which Direction To Go? Use The CARVER Matrix!

Aloha Friends,

I created a series of videos for some of my clients and thought many of you would find this useful.

A client of mine wrote saying that he doesn't have a problem coming up with product ideas -- he has a problem deciding which idea is the one to pursue.

I use what the military calls a "CARVER Matrix" when deciding which tasks I need to focus on. In the military it is used for target determination -- but it is easily adapted to project/decision management too!

Here is a video I uploaded on Google Video to explain how to use the Carver Matrix.

If you would like a free PDF copy of the form I use, including an in-depth explanation of the process, send an email to [email protected] and the form will be sent to you by autoresponder.

Aloha,

Jason Cain

PS: I have the rest of the videos over at YouTube...

Part 1
Part 2

MMacGillivray June 1, 2007 03:50 AM

Re: Trouble Deciding Which Direction To Go? Use The CARVER Matrix!

Hi, Jason - very interesting! thanks
Margaret

Goldblogger June 1, 2007 04:06 AM

Your welcome Margaret! (DNO)

Your welcome Margaret. Thanks for the feedback!

Aloha,

Jason

Dien Rice June 1, 2007 09:22 PM

Thanks Jason... Great video and great

PDF file too...

I agree with you that the better the decisions you make, the more money you can make as well! I look forward to trying this out... :)

- Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldblogger (Post 15582)
Aloha Friends,

I created a series of videos for some of my clients and thought many of you would find this useful.

A client of mine wrote saying that he doesn't have a problem coming up with product ideas -- he has a problem deciding which idea is the one to pursue.

I use what the military calls a "CARVER Matrix" when deciding which tasks I need to focus on. In the military it is used for target determination -- but it is easily adapted to project/decision management too!

Here is a video I uploaded on Google Video to explain how to use the Carver Matrix.

If you would like a free PDF copy of the form I use, including an in-depth explanation of the process, send an email to [email protected] and the form will be sent to you by autoresponder.

Aloha,

Jason Cain

Part 1
Part 2

Goldblogger June 3, 2007 03:29 AM

The OODA Loop

Thanks Dien,

CARVER really works for finding a direction. I always lose focus, so having the matrix helps me to complete tasks.

Here is something else I have found...

I have three matrices: yearly, quarterly and immediate. I redo the immediate matrix after completing the primary target.

Why?

Because opportunities may present themselves as you take action, so you need a way to factor those new opportunities into your decision making.

It is an OODA loop.

Aloha,

Jason

MichaelRoss June 3, 2007 05:27 AM

The CARVER Matix explained with examples.

Jason,

Thanks for mentioning CARVER. Here's another link...

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...to-prioritize/

Michael Ross

Goldblogger June 4, 2007 04:06 PM

Great Link!

Aloha Michael,

I like that link. He did a damn good job of explaining things. In fact, probably better than my video did!

Aloha,

Jason Cain

Duane Adolph June 9, 2007 04:00 AM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the "Carver Matrix" videos and the .pdf very informative.

It's funny I was using a similar method for decision making, and yet I have never heard the term "Carver" or what it stood for.

Very helpful!

Thanks Again

Duane Adolph

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldblogger (Post 15582)
Aloha Friends,

Aloha,

Jason Cain

Part 1
Part 2

Goldblogger June 12, 2007 05:34 PM

Your welcome Duane! Thanks for the feedback!

Aloha,

Jason