SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 800-pound gorilla -- aka The connection we're not making... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5453)

-TW August 3, 2008 01:39 AM

The 800-pound gorilla -- aka The connection we're not making...

There's an elusive connection between the low-level wheeler/dealer and the REAL WORLD "big-time" world.

It's something no one likes to talk about -- or even mention.

It's been BUGGING me for about a year now.

I'm forcing myself to abandon all DELUSIONS I might have.

Is that the same thing a self-inflicted DREAM-KILLING?

That's the probelm, I'm not sure.

There are upstart, mosquito-like dreamer-types -- very creative, very knowledgable, very ambitious. Low-level entrepreneurs who have ***BIG PLANS***.

Will they work? The plans are certainly grandious. They should work. It makes sense that they WILL work.

Then there's the 'real' world -- just chugging along -- paying NO ATTENTION to Mr./Ms. Dreamer's BIG PLANS.

THAT'S the missed 'connection.'

The real world will chug along just fine with or WITHOUT the Dreamer's BIG PLANS.

What should the Dreamer DO (if anything) about the 'real' world's INDIFFERENCE to his/her BIG PLANS?

Is there REALLY a way to break through?

Does it MATTER if he/she breaks through at all, any way?!?!!

From the real world residents, the Dreamer is just a crazy mosquito buzzing around acting all crazy -- a weird (+ UN-NEEDED) lunatic with weird ideas that will (if successful) DERAIL the 'normal' chugging along of the 'real' world.

There's also the problem of scale.

One of the major DELUSIONS of the Big Dreamer type is the belief that their ideas are of MAJOR importance. The Dreamer does not have any 'proper' perspective.

For years now, I've wanted to (just one of my BIG PLANS) get something on QVC (ME BE *ON* QVC, selling a product of mine). The other day, after talking to them briefly, I've decided to SCRAP the idea altogether.

The real world won.

Is that such a bad thing?

We'll never know.

THAT'S the elusive CONNECTION between Dreams, Delusions, and the Real World.

Which is which?

As someone with TWO STORAGE UNITS filled with boxes + boxes of ideas -- BIG IDEAS, I can tell you, that BATTLE of deciding which fits into which category (dream, delusion, real world), is enough to drive one over the edge!

The FACT there's not enough time to implement even 10% of what I'd LIKE to do FORCES me to decide carefully where to spend/DEVOTE my time.

Here an anecdote to illustrate what I mean about small time vs. BIG TIME...

I'm (also) in the Magic Business (hi, Millard!).

Someone I know (named Chuck) told me this story...

He was having dinner in Vegas with Harry Anderson (magician + star of the TV show, Night Court), Sigfried + Roy stopped by the table to say hi -- they also mentioned their VERY HIGH-PRICED, MULTI-YEAR contract they just signed with the hotel. At that moment, my friend Chuck noticed Harry Anderson making a strange face. The expression on Anderson's face 'said' this: You bozo's think that's a lot of money?!?! You guy's are delusional. that's not real money! Now, what I earn on Night Court, now TAHT'S real money!!!!

Bottom line, what I'm TRYING to say in this -- Low-level entrepreneurs need to SWALOW HARD, TAKE A LONG LOOK IN THE MORROR, and ***SEE*** the difference between low-level s**t, and how the 'real world of BIG TIME stuff REALLY operates.

Don't be like Sigfried + Roy, THINKING you're in the BIG TIME, when you're really not.

THAT'S what's been bugging me recently.

The 'BIG' plans I have in my head AREN'T really 'big' at all -- OR -- it would be almost impossible to INTERJECT my ideas into the already-chugging-along 'real' world.

THAT'S the 800-pound gorilla no one's talking about on forums like this.

It's generally a bunch of low-level people TALKING big games, feeding into each other's delusions, but never really breaking through to the 'real' world.

Here's an example...

Gary Halbert is one of 'our' Gods, right? He's a LEGEND, yes?

Here's the delusion-killer --- Statistically speaking, NO ONE HAS EVER EVEN HEARD OF GARY HALBERT!

That's just an example of the MINDSET I'm talking about here.

We're chasing after pennies, while the REAL big-time is chomping on cigars, churning out 100-dollar bills, while LAUGHING at us if they catch a glimpse of us.

Here's the good news...

Here are 3 'chinks in the armor' I've identified (ways for the low-level person to break through into the 'real' world)...

1) QVC

2) Radio interviews

3) Fox News

These are LINKS into the real world BIG-TIME.

These are ways to ACCESS the real world, even if you're a low-level DREAMER-DELUSIONAL type (like me!).

If you have the right product/message, these are three (RARE) places that will actually let you into the real world BIG TIME.

The important thing is to...

1) REALIZE there IS a difference between what you might THINK is the 'big-time' and what really IS the BIG-TIME! ... and the difference between those two worlds may be VAAAAST!

2) Look for ways to break into the REAL big-time. Otherwise you'll spend your time chaing after pennies, THINKING (deluding yourself) you're in the big time, when you're really not.

I know all of this burst some bubbles out there. But that's the point!

The truth will set you free -- but it will piss you off first!

-- TW

GordonJ August 3, 2008 08:47 AM

I got lost in the rant, but I still have some questions.

TW,

It is your epiphany, as long as you get it, great. But why try to wake us up to see your vision? Anyhow, good luck.

-TW August 3, 2008 11:16 PM

Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- aka The connection we're not making...

Hi Gordon...

You probably didn't get my rant because it's not entirely clear in my head either.

It's just a gut feeling I get as I look around me with somewhat newly opened eyes.

I'll try to clarify it more, but I fear it'll only make things cloudier.

Two well known phrases come to mind -- "Be careful what you wish for (it may come true)" and "Begin with the end in mind."

What's the point of being (or dreaming of becoming) a low-level entrepreneur?

After all is said + done, is that what many of us are 'wishing' for -- ACTUALLY?

Is that the 'end' we have in mind at the beginning -- REALLY?

In looking around me, I think it IS!

I think many of my 'peeps' (colleagues) are just that, people who are dreaming of 'skyrocketing' straight to what they THINK is the 'top,' but which is (in reality), actually the middle. Maybe even LOW-middle.

Here's a profile of people who are my colleagues (and this is just my impression -- I could be waaay off base)...

Unemployable (and proud of it)

Pioneer spirit

Full of excellent ideas

Full of real-world, down-n-dirty marketing knowledge

Wanting to figure out how to 'beat the system' (meaning unemployable + pioneer spirit = not be a 'sucker' and go the 'normal' route -- ie: college, 'regular' job/career, 'normal' hours, 'normal' lifestyle, etc.).

All that is commendable + wonderful.

But is that really the way to success? And what IS success, any way???

I see so many of my 'colleagues' thinking it is (or would be) a 'triumph' to reach the point of SCRAPING BY FINANCIALLY -- but on 'their terms.'

When you see too many biz-opps types flailing away for years + years, it's like seeing so many "I'm really gonna fix it someday, you'll see!" old cars up on blocks in the front yard with t he tall grass growing around them where the lawn mower couldn't reach -- you suddenly wake up one day in a moment of clarity -- seeing how PATHETIC it all is -- while the rest of the world is merrily chugging along with REAL people making REAL money -- paying NO ATTENTION to the 'insider secrets' we all know + love.

We haven't beaten the system aat all -- we have fallen VICTIM to the system -- but we don't even know it.

It's like people in radio (I used to be in that biz) -- they are legends in thier own minds!

They do their shows, they are 'BIG STARS' in their markets, then they go outside to the radio station parking lot, and drive off in their 17 YEAR OLD BOKEN DOWN P.O.S. CAR!

I'm waking up to the truth -- and I don't like it.

I don't care about waking any one else up, really.

I'm just trying to report on what I'm seeing through my own eyes.

My eyes may be distorting reality too, who knows.

A real-life example -- I recently saw some guy's self-produced online TV show. Can't remember his name -- he's from the UK, now living in the US. He's doing something I could see myself doing. He advises small biz's about marketing tactics, etc.

While watching the show, I got a little pang of jeolousy (sp?) -- like, "Hey, I wish that was me doing that," and "Wow! he really has gotten his act together." etc.

But then I thought -- "Hey wait a minute -- who in the real world is gonna take that guy seriously?"

The REAL answer (the 800-pound gorilla answer) is ***NO ONE***.

He's a legend in his own mind.

To the real world, he's like a UFO freak with a silver colander on his head.

THAT'S what I'm getting at.

There's low-level crap -- biz-opp type crap -- IM crap -- Marketing tactic crap.

Then there's the REAL WORLD, where the REAL success + REAL money are.

----- AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET.

Everyone on this forum, and all forums like it, are involved in a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub culture -- and none of the participants seem to realize that!

We are legends in our own minds (only).

We are all like UFO freaks with silver colanders on our heads.

There's nothing wrong with that -- AS LONG AS YOU PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE, AND ***REALIZE*** THE REAL SITUATION.

Am I making any sense?

The answer/solution is...

1) Realize the real situation.

2) Figure out ways to LINK -- no, a better way to put it is, FIND PORTALS that LINK the low-level world with the REAL world.

This is what those scam artists with "The Secret" managed to do (by getting on Oprah).

This is what the Blair Witch people managed to do.

There ARE ways to do it. PORTALS do exist -- or can be created.

But the first step must be to realize that one is LOW-LEVEL to begin with -- and the second step is to STOP GLORIFYING LOW-LEVEL CRAP. The next step is to face the fact that, under normal circumstances, there's low-level, and the real world, and they normally NEVER MEET.

And the last step is to SEEK PORTALS or WORM HOLES where they DO -- or can be made to -- meet.

Hope that helps (whew!)

-- TW

-TW August 3, 2008 11:53 PM

Re: "Low-Level Land" -- Further clarification (?)...

Also, Gordon, you asked how I define "Big Time."

I know that's a vague term that can mean zillions of things, depending on whom you ask.

I guess I'd define it as having credibility among one's peers in the real world. Being taken seriously. Having power or 'weight,' in a way.

Then you could ask how I define 'the real world.'

It's like the dinner theater actor vs. Jack Nicholson.

Yes, there will always be someone 'better' than you are in any given field. And there's NOTHING wrong with being a perfectly CONTENT 50-year old dinner theater actor -- AS LONG AS YOU PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE + ***REALIZE*** THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

The point is to realize the difference and not get delusional about it.

You asked what I meant by radio interviews + Fox News + QVC.

I see these as three 'chinks in the armor' between "Low-Level Land" and the big-time real-world.

There's a shield betwen the two worlds, and those are three (basically free) ways I've identified where one can BREAK THROUGH the shield.

They are three mainstream 'giants' who (sometimes!) ALLOW card-carrying Low-Level citizens to enter Real-World Big-Time Land.

Watch Fox + Friends in the morning, and you'll see what I mean.

It's a socio-economic time warp (sometimes!).

If you can't find a way to break through the shield, you'll always remain like a UFO freak with a colander on your head. -- And I don't mean YOU, I mean me, you, and all of our dream-ridden (-ladden?) colleagues.

Another example: The average person walking down the street does not even know what an ebook is. And, of the ones that DO know what one is, 90% of THEM would never be caught DEAD actually BUYING one!

Peddling ebooks (which, ya gotta admit is a big part of many low-level entrepreneur's playbook -- and that's just one example) is a way to GUARANTEE that you will REMAIN solidly in Low-Level Land.

The real world is merrily chugging along, paying no attention to our antics.

All the stuff I see discussed is LOW-LEVEL. It's stuff that, even when it 'works' it yields basement apartments + 12 year old P.O.S. cars.

THAT'S why the real world IGNORES it all.

What I'm saying is, we should (at least) AIM to bring ourselves (+ our entrpreneurship) into the real-world, and find ways to break OUT of the sub-sub-sub-sub-sub culture we're involved in.

-- TW

Sandi Bowman August 4, 2008 12:42 AM

TW, you're beginning to make sense and that's kinda scarey because, y'know what? I see what has been viewed from a younger perspective and how it influences the present for those of us 'over the hill' folks.

It's kinda frightening when one has swallowed the whole enchilada and then discovers that it was dog meat after all. That's a different take on what you seem to be expressing...or at least my take on what you stated.

Know this, however, all is not lost and it is not hopeless. Even from a sub-sub-sub position, one with brains, guts and determination can emerge triumphant, albeit at a slightly different level than previously imagined or hoped for. Dreams don't die...they mature and evolve over time. That's a good thing and nothing to be upset about.

Look at it this way: if we kept the same perspective on things as adults that we did as children, we probably would not survive very long in the real world. That is not to say your ideas were childish, it's just a way of illustrating my point. We all grow, change, and evolve. That's the natural way of things. Those who stay lost and in limbo are the ones to really feel sorry for because they'll never know the joys of discovery or even come to know the good, and the not so good sometimes, that they've missed.

You're on your way. I wish you well.

Sandi Bowman

-TW August 4, 2008 02:01 AM

Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- Thanks Sandi...

I think the most improtant part of what I said was this...

For years now, I've wanted to (just one of my BIG PLANS) get something on QVC (ME BE *ON* QVC, selling a product of mine). The other day, after talking to them briefly, I've decided to SCRAP the idea altogether.

The real world won.

***** Is that such a bad thing? ******

We'll never know.

THAT'S the elusive CONNECTION between Dreams, Delusions, and the Real World.

Which is which?

I think the REAL awaening is not that MY personal viewpoint has changed -- MY view of my dreams + plans + ideas. I'm not really sure MY view of all that has changed. I think what I've woken up to (finally) is how THE (REAL) WORLD views MY dreams + plans + ideas.

THAT'S the epiphany -- realizing where my dreams + ideas stand from THEIR point of view. What level am *I* at, FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE.

It isn't what I thought at all.

Now I must figure out how to get the two worlds to MEET.

My dream-filled ideas and the 'real' world's VIEW of those dreams/ideas.

How to make Low-Level Land MEET (colide with) the REAL WORLD!

At least I now SEE that THAT is what must be accomplished!

Cheers!

-- TW

MichaelRoss August 4, 2008 04:09 AM

The 800-pound gorilla can eat my shorts...

TW,

Thanks for waking up.

Here's something else to sleep on...

Everything that determines your ultimate success is dependent on other people. Therefore, whether you succeed or not and make the Big Time, is a crap shoot.

Take Music, for example. You have people who can Really play instruments well, can really sing and sound great and can write a song that conveys exactly what they wanted to convey - will lift you up, or make you shed a tear, or give you tingles all over when you hear it (like Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma). But the general public Never hears of them. Instead, we Hear about people who cannot really sing, can't play an instrument to save themselves, cannot write melodies or lyrics and who can't even Entertain all that well. And such Talentless dweebs are held aloft as points of aspirations.

To true Talent... they could feel somewhat Miffed, ripped off, stiffed and Unfairly done by. And you might agree. But here is the Solution...

They should Never create music for anyone other than themselves and the Joy They get out of creating it. If they are picked up, good. If not, it won't change their world or the sheer enjoyment they get from doing and creating their music.

There are better authors than Stephen King. Better singers than Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Brooks and Dunn. Better actors than Deniro and Paccino and Hackman. Better guitarists than Vie or Angus from ACDC. But, we will never hear of them UNLESS they happen to win the Big Success Lottery.

You have heard of the Overnight Success in only 25 years. What you don't hear about is the person who has also plugged away for 25 or more years - but - whom the Big Success Light never shines on. And there are Plenty of those types of people.

Not just Delusional dreamers who are lying to themselves. But people of genuine skill and talent whom the world passes by because... they didn't win the Big Success lottery.

Let me let you in on something else too...

You see all those businesses for sale. Make $500 - $1,500 a week. They are for Office People who are pissed off with their $25k - $40k a year Job. People who don't work in an office and who make $100k a year, find those business Laughable. For them to be Enticed into a business, it would need to be generating at least Their income - $100k+, right?

Head out into the general public, take a seat somewhere and Tune In to the conversations around you...

Uni Students discussing Important stuff and thinking they are important too. Yuppies in soon-to-be-closed Starbucks outlets sipping Chai Tea Lattes and solving all the world's problems, as if their thoughts will make a difference.

The world doesn't give a Rats about any of it. They could all disappear in a puff of smoke and the world would chug along like normal.

People write to their Govt as if it matters. It doesn't. If you can write and Know it matters not an iota, then you're merely getting something off your chest so you can get one with your life. But most people aren't like that. They think what they think in written form, will make a difference. It won't.

Trump could go bust tomorrow and life will go on. Just like cars whizzing by an Accident on the side of the road. Those directly involved have Issues to deal with. But everyone else continues on their merry way.

If you like inventing, then do it because you like it and no other reason. If you try to market it, then market with the fore-knowledge you will sell nothing. Then you cannot be disappointed. Don't care about Breaking Through and your illusioned problems will vanish - poof. Gone.

Screw the Big Time.

In actuality, aiming for the Big Time is Limited Thinking. Do you know why?

Michael Ross

Ankesh August 4, 2008 05:39 AM

Thanks TW.

I think what you're saying has more to do with fame and less to do with success.

Taking one more step above from where you are right now:

Warren Buffet. Successful by anyone's standard. But yet - I would say 90% of the world hasn't heard about him.

Who knows the name of the President of France? of India? Of China? People staying in those countries will know the names. But people out of those countries won't. But these people have reached the highest position of success in their fields that is possible.

I would say that 80% of the world doesn't know who Allen Iverson is. Or who Tom Brady is. 60-70% of the world won't know who Sachin Tendulkar is.

Really - there are very very few people who the entire world knows about.

Even historically speaking. Besides Newton and Einstein - the lay person won't know any other scientists name. Besides Da Vinci and Picasso - the lay person won't know any painters name.

Anyways, here is a good forwarded email...

Quote:

You don’t have to actually take the quiz.
Just read the email and you’ll get the point.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last ten World Series winners.

How did you do?

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.

The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care

Kbayer August 4, 2008 07:32 AM

There was a cartoon that I saw many years ago. There were 4 hobos (former entrepreneurs) sitting against a dumpster, sharing a bottle of whiskey. One suggests to the others, "Maybe we should all just get jobs"...

Then there was silence.

Finally another hobo responded, "What -- and ADMIT that we are failures?"...

I also remember an interview given by Micheal J Fox, who recalled his early days of sharing a 1 room apartment with 12 other wannabe actors, eating only macaroni and cheese for over 2 years before finally getting a long-term paying gig, enabling him to finally get his own apartment.

Or the story of Edison, who supposedly "failed" at making at light bulb 10,000 times before finally getting it right...

Knowing when to persist and when to give up or change direction is part of the crap shoot that I think Ross spoke of. Like the treasure hunter who single handedly digs for 3 weeks straight, a 90 foot deep hole. He almost gave up at the 10 foot mark... but kept going to 20. Then 30. Then 70... but gives up at 90...

and walks away.

An onlooker picks up a shovel, climbs into the same hole, and hits the treasure at the 91 foot mark...

It's part of the game -- the persistence, but doing what you can with the resources you have and making decisions based on the information and experience you have at the time.

And while you are striving, you are keeping your yes on the prize, ducking when you need to duck, picking up speed, slowing down, hiring experts for what you can't do yet on your own, researching, going new directions, making u-turns, backing up, regrouping, changing lanes... but always being driven from a place of wanting to improve, considering and knowing that every step is a success because of the gift of the lesson, the clue, the progress, or the change in perception that comes with it.

I don't know where you are at... Maybe you are in a 1 room apartment eating macaroni and cheese. Or maybe you are at the 90 foot mark in your self-dug hole, searching for your treasure.

Sometimes the success is that you strived, without being concerned of how Harry Anderson thinks of you. He may have a nice bank account, but do you know if Harry is truly happy?
As Ross kinda said, you have to do it for you. No one else but you.

Remember Richard Cory?

Richard Cory
By Edwin Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
“Good-morning,” and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
And admirably schooled in every grace;
In fine we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Is Harry a success because he made it in the "real world"? I remember reading that Elvis Presley, as a child, didn't know he was "poor" until he was in the 5th grade, when he met another kid with his own room, and his own radio.

And that bumblebees, due to the engineering of their wings and disproportionate body structure, aren't supposed to be able to fly. But they can and do, probably cause no ones ever told them otherwise.

I think someone is a "success" when they truly believe that they are... and at that point, the success will grow and it will spill into other areas of your life and as your focus and thoughts change, your words will change, your outlook and dimeanor will change, and eventually others will notice and percieve these changes, and maybe even percieve that you are successful -- and you won't seek validation.

But for what it's worth, I think you are a success. You've observed and experienced and learned something that you have shared with us, generating others to think and to share their perceptions and views and thoughts as well...

GordonJ August 4, 2008 09:12 AM

OK TW.

Good luck,

Gordon Alexander