SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rare "insider" peek at development of a direct mail piece... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10449)

Dien Rice July 14, 2019 10:53 AM

Rare "insider" peek at development of a direct mail piece...

Denny Hatch's blog is one worth reading... He's a direct response mail order advertising expert, who's written multiple "controls" in that field.

(A "control" is a winning direct mail advertising piece that makes a great profit, so it's mailed over, and over, and over...)

What happened is Denny Hatch got "stiffed" by a "deadbeat" client. That means, he's decided to reveal the rarely-revealed "insider info" on how the direct mail package was developed...

This is part 1! (Also looking forward to part 2, which should be coming soon!)

How to Create a Breakthrough Direct Mail Package PART I
http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2019/...gh-direct.html

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ July 14, 2019 12:22 PM

Re: Rare "insider" peek at development of a direct mail piece...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40015)
Denny Hatch's blog is one worth reading... He's a direct response mail order advertising expert, who's written multiple "controls" in that field.

(A "control" is a winning direct mail advertising piece that makes a great profit, so it's mailed over, and over, and over...)

What happened is Denny Hatch got "stiffed" by a "deadbeat" client. That means, he's decided to reveal the rarely-revealed "insider info" on how the direct mail package was developed...

Best wishes,

Dien

We agreed on a fee—$4,000 for copy, design and all revisions. I went to work.

I think every wannabe copywriter who thinks they will be paid 10k per letter, should take note of this.

Also, it might amaze some that this market still exists, as we've talked about for years. Not just collecting valuable coins, but coin collections...two different markets.

Coins, stamps and ephemera are doing fine, thank you very much.

AND, I like the way he handled getting stiffed. They may have trouble finding their next writer without paying up front, eh?

Gordon

GordonJ July 17, 2019 08:04 AM

Note the design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40017)
We agreed on a fee—$4,000 for copy, design and all revisions. I went to work.

Gordon

Today, newbies just want to write copy. I am grateful and appreciate being forced to learn how to design packages like this. Before Denny took over Axel Andresson WHO'S MAILING WHAT, one of the packages from SCI was reviewed.

It was for the WALSH SEMINAR. Came with a certificate, which when signed gave one something to hang on the wall. I used a variation of this when we brought out THE PROFESSIONAL REMOTE DIRECT MARKETING HOME STUDY COURSE.

Having design skills under your belt, certainly adds to your ability to get assignments.

Gordon

PS Few modern copywriters have ever been to a lettershop, or print house, know nothing about die cuts, involvement devices, or any of the other parts to a successful package. Now they just want to use MAGIC bullets and think that is enough to persuade people to part with their money.

But who can blame them, that is what they are taught. Shame.

Dien Rice July 18, 2019 09:00 AM

Part 2 is great too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40015)

This is part 1! (Also looking forward to part 2, which should be coming soon!)

How to Create a Breakthrough Direct Mail Package PART I
http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2019/...gh-direct.html

Wow, a great conclusion in part 2!

It also gives you an idea of what a client could do with your copy (for better or worse)!

Well worth a read... :)

How to Create a Breakthrough Direct Mal Package: Part II
http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2019/...direct_17.html

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ July 18, 2019 09:41 AM

THANK YOU.

There you have it. A complete class in old fashioned mail order marketing which is still working pulling in money around the world.

Today, for 4k bux, one is lucky to get a a couple thousand words in English full of grammar and spelling errors by the modern, so-called copywriter.

The lifetime value of a coin, stamp, collectibles customer was/IS phenomenal.

THANK YOU DIEN, for all you do for us.

Gordon

Dien Rice July 18, 2019 09:53 AM

Still much to learn... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40027)
There you have it. A complete class in old fashioned mail order marketing which is still working pulling in money around the world.

Today, for 4k bux, one is lucky to get a a couple thousand words in English full of grammar and spelling errors by the modern, so-called copywriter.

The lifetime value of a coin, stamp, collectibles customer was/IS phenomenal.

THANK YOU DIEN, for all you do for us.

Hi Gordon,

You're right... many of us forget that this stuff still works and brings in the money, month after month, year after year...

I've never really done anything with the "collectibles" market... though probably, I should!

By the way, I still have a LOT to learn from people such as yourself, Harvey, Denny, and many others... :)

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, too... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ July 18, 2019 01:13 PM

We all have a lot to learn, learning should be a lifetime activity...but,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40028)
Hi Gordon,

You're right... many of us forget that this stuff still works and brings in the money, month after month, year after year...

I've never really done anything with the "collectibles" market... though probably, I should!

By the way, I still have a LOT to learn from people such as yourself, Harvey, Denny, and many others... :)

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, too... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

One thing I love about Denny Hatch, is his agency background, and his fights against some of what was known as the West Coast HYPE crowd, ala Halbert.

You won't find that kind of work in his books. I always appreciated his speaking his mind about a certain ilk of copy writers. Today, it is heresy and against the rules to criticize the gods of the past, even those who did their time in prison. If it makes you a buck, all is fair, and even POTUS agrees with that.

GordonJ

PS. I am working on a collection, made from the purest Pyrite I can find, of the Trump admin, with a faux dollar of the Donald on one side and a burnt down White House on the back. Was going to issue a 21 coin salute to the Trump cabinet, but looks like it will be 121.

When you get this premier issue of a limited edition, you will, for sures, want to lock it up.

jsansi July 18, 2019 07:08 PM

Re: Part 2 is great too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40026)
Wow, a great conclusion in part 2!

It also gives you an idea of what a client could do with your copy (for better or worse)!

Well worth a read... :)

How to Create a Breakthrough Direct Mal Package: Part II
http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2019/...direct_17.html

Best wishes,

Dien

You beat me to the punch on part 2 ... just read it through a few times ... fascinating really how a pro thinks about the whole entire package.

And then they messed with the final package. I get that the CD knows a thing or two about their business, customers, and past test results ... but why bother hiring a guy like Hatch if your people will butcher the final piece.