SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Should you reveal your success, or hide it...? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2366)

Dien Rice March 6, 2002 06:28 PM

Should you reveal your success, or hide it...?

Should you reveal your success? It's a dilemma....

I know several people online who are quite successful.... Yet they prefer to "fly low and collect the dough"....

It may sound unbelievable, but I can even think of those I know (who are successful) who shun free publicity. They're doing very well without it, and they're afraid that extra publicity will just generate competition.

So, you might be surprised at who's REALLY making money online. The real "superstars" of online profits don't always like to reveal themselves!

However, one successful model (which, from what I know is quite profitable) is the online software tool subscription model. That's where people subscribe to use a piece of software.

It can be profitable, especially if you provide a good and useful service. Some of the better known services of this type are WordTracker, BidNapper, AuctionWorks - and so on!

Another profitable model is the single-product sales model. I think this model works best if you have an affiliate program to go along with it. (Use the power of leverage.) There are plenty of these out there.... Study those web sites, and see how they work.

The subscription web site model is also a profitable model, but it should be niche focused, from what I've seen. If you can offer information which a niche market would love to have, but which is hard to find elsewhere, then you could have an idea for a successful subscription web site. Some successful subscription web sites are Bill Myers Online (for independent product developers), Stratfor (strategic forecasting of world events), and Crikey (Australian political critique and satire) .

Plenty of people make money from affiliate programs. Probably the best place to go to find out more about making money this way is Allan Gardyne's Associate Programs web site.

Ezines are a successful model too.... Such as our own The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet and the SeedZine (first issue comes out tomorrow!). Subscribe now! :)

So there's plenty of things you can do.... :)

The most important thing is to get started doing something.... You can't help but improve as you go along. As the saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step....

- Dien Rice

Joe Makowski March 7, 2002 10:33 AM

Re: Should you reveal your success, or hide it...?

The biblical answer is that you should be rich,
but appear poor. The world's answer is to be
broke and appear wealthy. Take your pick. Okay,
I'm being a little facetious. But the point is
that the reality is we live in the age of envy.
Anything you have, you can be sued for by anyone
who has a dollar less than you and sees this as
being unfair. The government can freeze your assets in less than 10 minutes. And it is a
sinking, sick feeling when it happens. But whose
going to pay attention to a fat, balding, old guy
wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers? Live very
low profile.

While I was writing this, I remembered what happened to Gary Halbert. He went around bragging
how many 1000's he was making a day and ended up
being put in a canvas bag while 2 thieves rummaged
thru his home.

My vote? Fly low and collect the dough!

> Should you reveal your success? It's a
> dilemma....

> I know several people online who are quite
> successful.... Yet they prefer to "fly
> low and collect the dough"....

> It may sound unbelievable, but I can even
> think of those I know (who are successful)
> who shun free publicity. They're doing very
> well without it, and they're afraid that
> extra publicity will just generate
> competition.

> So, you might be surprised at who's REALLY
> making money online. The real
> "superstars" of online profits
> don't always like to reveal themselves!

> However, one successful model (which, from
> what I know is quite profitable) is the
> online software tool subscription model.
> That's where people subscribe to use a piece
> of software.

> It can be profitable, especially if you
> provide a good and useful service. Some of
> the better known services of this type are
> WordTracker , BidNapper , AuctionWorks -
> and so on!

> Another profitable model is the
> single-product sales model. I think this
> model works best if you have an affiliate
> program to go along with it. (Use the power
> of leverage.) There are plenty of these out
> there.... Study those web sites, and see how
> they work.

> The subscription web site model is also a
> profitable model, but it should be niche
> focused, from what I've seen. If you can
> offer information which a niche market would
> love to have, but which is hard to find
> elsewhere, then you could have an idea for a
> successful subscription web site. Some
> successful subscription web sites are Bill
> Myers Online (for independent product
> developers), Stratfor (strategic
> forecasting of world events), and Crikey
> (Australian political critique and satire) .

> Plenty of people make money from affiliate
> programs. Probably the best place to go to
> find out more about making money this way is
> Allan Gardyne's Associate Programs web
> site.

> Ezines are a successful model too.... Such
> as our own The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet and
> the SeedZine (first issue comes out
> tomorrow!). Subscribe now! :)

> So there's plenty of things you can do....
> :)

> The most important thing is to get started
> doing something.... You can't help but
> improve as you go along. As the saying goes,
> a journey of a thousand miles begins with a
> single step....

> - Dien Rice

Taylor Trump March 7, 2002 12:20 PM

I recently read a truism (is that a word) that stated the following:

"The rich person is not the one who has the most but who needs the least."

Years ago I use to study the billionaires and would call them and write to them, etc. (No shame). Here in the Twin Cities I was fortnuate enough to meet Mr. Carl Pohlad and I asked him why he sued Forbes over listing him as one of the country's most wealthiest people.

He said that ..."wealth and publicity do not mix." I recently found that out for myself.

In my opinion, I feel that if you are succeeding and feel a strong need to tel someone, then do it behind closed doors with a group of people who are inetrested in learning from you-a subscription based website or a high-priced newsletter.

I look at Gordon and the trials and tribulations he suffered as a result of simply...

GIVING.

So, again, me...I think it is really unwise to share with thos not desiring your understanding, knowledge and wisdom.

Taylor

> The biblical answer is that you should be
> rich,
> but appear poor. The world's answer is to be
> broke and appear wealthy. Take your pick.
> Okay,
> I'm being a little facetious. But the point
> is
> that the reality is we live in the age of
> envy.
> Anything you have, you can be sued for by
> anyone
> who has a dollar less than you and sees this
> as
> being unfair. The government can freeze your
> assets in less than 10 minutes. And it is a
> sinking, sick feeling when it happens. But
> whose
> going to pay attention to a fat, balding,
> old guy
> wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers? Live
> very
> low profile.

> While I was writing this, I remembered what
> happened to Gary Halbert. He went around
> bragging
> how many 1000's he was making a day and
> ended up
> being put in a canvas bag while 2 thieves
> rummaged
> thru his home.

> My vote? Fly low and collect the dough!

I've discovered an amazing and simple picture that allows you to persuade and influence others!!!

Tim Jensen March 7, 2002 03:21 PM

This message is for everyone,

I can see the point about flying low. Now I am wondering, does that mean you don't actively promote your business? You don't tell people what you do?

Or do you mean you don't tell people how well things are going?

I have been finding that if you stick out too much with your marketing, people get envious and start taking shots at you.

I would love to hear what you all think.

Tim

Bob Beckman March 7, 2002 03:37 PM

Tim -

Tom O'Neill is the guy I originally heard and borrowed the "Fly low and collect the dough" phrase from in 1986 and immediately adapted it to my own lifestyle and business style.

We were providing computer services to various government agencies and encountered a lot of political grandstanding and credit grabbing. It was wise not to get caught up in the ego wars!

What it meant to us was let others have the credit and public accolades. Give credit to our customers for any brilliant actions we accomplished. Let the high profile personas have the spot light. Just do a great job in providing the product and service and get paid well without attracting attention.

Re marketing and pot shots - if your product/service is all your marketing says it is, and you don't beat your own chest too hard and let testimonials talk for you, then keep on. Make your company and customers the kings and queens, you fly low and collect the dough!

It's worked for me for a long while, and, as Taylor said above, you can share your successes and get some positive strokes from your inner circle of trusted friends and advisors who don't suffer from envy and anger.

And, I believe you can still share on forums such as this one, where Dien and the other moderators diligently stamp out the occasional acrimonious comments.

I'm glad old Tom's saying has made a difference. Now I'm going back below the radar and skim the waves:-)

Bob

Tim Jensen March 7, 2002 04:15 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the input. I myself am a bit more in the spotlight guy. I am starting to see how that just lets others put you in your crosshairs.

Tim

> Tom O'Neill is the guy I originally heard
> and borrowed the "Fly low and collect
> the dough" phrase from in 1986 and
> immediately adapted it to my own lifestyle
> and business style.

> We were providing computer services to
> various government agencies and encountered
> a lot of political grandstanding and credit
> grabbing. It was wise not to get caught up
> in the ego wars!

> What it meant to us was let others have the
> credit and public accolades. Give credit to
> our customers for any brilliant actions we
> accomplished. Let the high profile personas
> have the spot light. Just do a great job in
> providing the product and service and get
> paid well without attracting attention.

> Re marketing and pot shots - if your
> product/service is all your marketing says
> it is, and you don't beat your own chest too
> hard and let testimonials talk for you, then
> keep on. Make your company and customers the
> kings and queens, you fly low and collect
> the dough!

> It's worked for me for a long while, and, as
> Taylor said above, you can share your
> successes and get some positive strokes from
> your inner circle of trusted friends and
> advisors who don't suffer from envy and
> anger.

> And, I believe you can still share on forums
> such as this one, where Dien and the other
> moderators diligently stamp out the
> occasional acrimonious comments.

> I'm glad old Tom's saying has made a
> difference. Now I'm going back below the
> radar and skim the waves:-)

> Bob

Dien Rice March 7, 2002 07:06 PM

They don't NEED to talk about it... so they don't!

Hi Tim,

> I can see the point about flying low. Now I
> am wondering, does that mean you don't
> actively promote your business? You don't
> tell people what you do?

> Or do you mean you don't tell people how
> well things are going?

> I have been finding that if you stick out
> too much with your marketing, people get
> envious and start taking shots at you.

> I would love to hear what you all think.

Well, the people I can think of who are doing very well but don't like to be public about it don't need to talk about it.

Their customers tend to be repeat customers, and they don't come to them because they are making lots of money, but rather because they're providing a good service!

So they DO talk about their service and how great it is, but they don't talk about how successful they are financially! That's something their customers don't really care about.

I think it's different if you're selling "how to" info though. If you're doing that, people like to know what you've done - it helps with your credibility then.

I think if you're successful, people tend to like to work with those who are successful. So talking about your success may bring in customers too, but it also attracts competition....

I guess it's a matter of weighing up the positives and negatives.

What I found fascinating, though, is that there are a lot of people making good money who prefer to be quiet about it. Like many others, I assumed that the most succesful people were the ones who spoke about it the most - but it's just not so.

- Dien Rice

Don Alm March 7, 2002 08:47 PM

A recent study by a prominent "think tank" (don't ask me where...I heard it on a Paul Harvey report) said that....OVER 80% of Americans......"DISLIKE (and even HATE) The RICH and AFFLUENT" in our FREE and Capitalistic society.

This is probably because of the "stuff" the Media AND Democrats have FED the public in the last 20 yrs.

Dick Gephart will stand in front of a TV Camera and say, "This _____ will benefit the RICH!"

And at the SAME TIME....at the SAME MOMENT...the Contractor who is building his MILLION DOLLAR PLUS home in Virginia....is standing in the audience waiting to ask him some questions about the home he is building for Gephardt.

The "average" American has been "Spoon Fed" a bunch of PAP for the last 20 to 30 yrs by the Dems. Yet the Dems who are spewing this garbage are some of the richest in our society.

WHY do they do this? So THEY can STAY IN POWER!

It's called CLASS ENVY!

Jesse Jackson has made MILLIONS off this. So has the "Rev" Al Sharpton and other PHONIES.

Rhetoric taken in and regurgitated by their able and willing "accomplices" in the press....to the "brainwashed public".

Nowadays it is "politically correct" to BASH THE RICH!

And....the RICH have also been brainwashed and "learned" to say, "Oh Yes! I am really sorry that I made so much money last year after spending 20 years sacrificing and strugling and FINALLY getting my business to pay off. Please excuse me for making a few mill. I WILL be careful not to make so much next year. Oh! I'm also sponsoring the ____ charity bazaar next week."

WHAT UNADULTERED BS WE HAVE HAD TO PUT UP WITH BECAUSE OF THE FRIGGIN LIBERALS!

The "successful" people in our society are AFRAID! Afraid of being attacked or sued by those who've bought into this "class envy" BS.

So...as a result of this FEAR....fewer and fewer of Americans will be hearing SUCCESS STORIES by those who "MADE IT"!

And as a result of the RICH not wanting to SHARE "How" they "made it"....you will have less and less of successful people "making it".

What hogwash! All because of the friggin LIBERALS and their BS agendas.

Anyway.....when and IF you who are reading this DO happen to make a million bucks in whatever you have sacrificed and struggled for....do NOT let anyone know! Keep it quiet because the "Class Envy" the American public has "bought" will try and "make an example of you" by attacking you!

How DARE YOU....make more money than the average factory worker! YOU should be ASHAMED of yourself!

Don Alm.....Capitalist...Entrepreneur and not so proud to be an American anymore.

Reprint Rights to Proven Successful Info Products

Tim Jensen March 7, 2002 11:51 PM

Don,

You bring up a great point.

In order to fit into society, you need to just be getting by. If you do good, well you must have cheated someone and be made to pay.

I am a landlord and I would not dare go over to my tenants house in a nice car. That would only enrage them and make them think how I made my living off THEIR backs. It doesn't matter that I skrimped and saved to buy my rentals and that I spent a many weekends working on them. I slipped and fell on the sidewalk that I(the tenant) was supposed to shovel. Tim has a nice car lets sue him. I'm not done.

Lets move onto the other landlords. Look at that Tim with his ad in the newspaper, bench signs, news releases, flashy business cards, that he places all over the place. He must really be ripping off some poor old lady to get a properties so cheap. I think it is terrible what he does, he gives the rest of us HONEST landlords a bad name. You know what, I think I saw some trash on his property, I think I'll call the city. You know I'm not sure that he should be putting that bench sign (totally legal mind you) where he does, I'm going to complain. Also, let me complain to the newspaper because of his creative thinking, he is always the first ad in the Homes for Sale section. I don't like the fact that at our monthly landlord meetings, he places his "I BUY HOMES" business cards on the desks. That is not right. Who cares that he has paid his yearly dues to be at the meetings. He is not playing fair. Translation: I am mad at Tim because he is just plain more successful and/or creative then I am. Instead of trying to be more creative/successful myself, I'll try and make it hard on him. I will try and knock him down.

Thats how I see it. Now not every landlord is like that, but there are a fair number who think that way.

Tim

Michael Ross March 8, 2002 04:47 AM

Flying low with a twist

Don't Let 'em See You Comin'

Michael Ross.