SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking For Appeals On 45-55 Years Old Men Buy Fashion Bracelets Acessories (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10811)

MikePT October 29, 2020 02:17 PM

Looking For Appeals On 45-55 Years Old Men Buy Fashion Bracelets Acessories

Pros, your thought on this:

What appeals to 45-55 years old men to buy fashion bracelets?

An appeal that is working is "to have more style that your neighbor".

So, following the Robert Collier six prime motives:

Love, gain, duty, pride, self-indulgence and self-preservation.

I will assume those are correct:

-Gain (beat the neighbor, being more "stylish")
-Pride (shine)
-Self-preservation (look younger with an fashion acessory)

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

GordonJ October 29, 2020 07:44 PM

I don't understand, seems to be my default these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41263)

-Pride (shine)

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

You HAVE an appeal that is working? The "have more style than your neighbor", why not just stick with what is working?

But, my other issue is the lump of 45-55 year old men. Millions of them, many different niches.

I would want to know HOW they find out about the bracelet in the first place? What is the Intersection that has been created?

Once you have targeted traffic to an intersection, it is pretty easy to use THIS WAY/THAT WAY sign posts to direct them down the street you want them to go.

I don't know of a single man in that age group that buys bracelets for themselves. If your intersection is of a fashion nature, then continue with the appeal that is WORKING. Many men buy GIFTS for their women, wives, lovers, daughters or others.

But I just don't see that many men that old showing off their bracelets to show their style is superior to their neighbors. You know your market far better than we do, and you have an appeal that is working.

Are you testing other "appeals", segmenting the group?

Not enough information here to offer an opinion on this.

Gordon

MikePT October 29, 2020 08:03 PM

Re: Looking For Appeals On 45-55 Years Old Men Buy Fashion Bracelets Acessories

Yes Gordon, I tested different appeals.

That one that I use on the headline and on the copy is the one works better.

I don't know much more on the market.

The age , the appeal and the best-sellers bracelets models is only what I knew.

That's why I would like to deep more.

Thanks Gordon.

Dien Rice October 29, 2020 09:34 PM

Seven Emotional Hot-Buttons...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41263)

-Pride (shine)

Your thoughts?

Hi Mike,

In the past, I've used the "7 emotional hot-buttons" which I learned from Denny Hatch's books and writings.

I even have them memorized... They are...

anger exclusivity fear flattery greed guilt salvation

These came from studies of direct mail controls - to try to find patterns of what kinds of appeals regularly worked...

Most of these are due to marketer Bob Hacker, while the late Axel Andersson (who was a Swede who ran a very successful direct response marketing business from Germany) added "flattery"...

For men's fashion bracelets... going through the list... I would say...

exclusivity - they want something their next-door-neighbor doesn't have, and even better, can't get!

flattery - they want to feel stylish, superior, look good

greed - if you can plausibly argue that the bracelets will go up in value over time, then you can also bring in "greed" as a motivational factor too...

Just some "off the cuff" thoughts...!

- Dien

P.S. Here's an article by Denny Hatch about these, which is also about Axel Andersson - https://web.archive.org/web/20190826...ordinaire/all/

P.P.S. Here's another more recent article covering this by Denny Hatch... http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2020/...-flattery.html

MikePT October 30, 2020 06:58 AM

Awesome Dien.

I agree with those you shared:

exclusivity - they want something their next-door-neighbor doesn't have, and even better, can't get!

greed - if you can plausibly argue that the bracelets will go up in value over time, then you can also bring in "greed" as a motivational factor too...

That's interesting, that's exactly what I was looking for, because the only data I have is:

- the best-seller models

Thanks for the links, I will take a look.

Miguel

GordonJ October 30, 2020 08:17 AM

7 Emotional Hot-Buttons, Fatal Four Emotional Appeals, 5 Ring Circus of SQ1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41268)
Hi Mike,

In the past, I've used the "7 emotional hot-buttons" which I learned from Denny Hatch's books and writings.

I even have them memorized... They are...

anger exclusivity fear flattery greed guilt salvation

These came from studies of direct mail controls - to try to find patterns of what kinds of appeals regularly worked...

Most of these are due to marketer Bob Hacker, while the late Axel Andersson (who was a Swede who ran a very successful direct response marketing business from Germany) added "flattery"...

For men's fashion bracelets... going through the list... I would say...

Just some "off the cuff" thoughts...!

- Dien

P.S. Here's an article by Denny Hatch about these, which is also about Axel Andersson - https://web.archive.org/web/20190826...ordinaire/all/

P.P.S. Here's another more recent article covering this by Denny Hatch... http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2020/...-flattery.html

I know we are both Denny Hatch fans, and he does give out great insights based on his many years in the biz.

And today, over at the Halbert Facebook group, a post about Open Loops, Zeigarnik, Ovsiankina and other mysteries of persuasion.

It is no wonder so many people trying to sell their stuff, get so confused about what to do. Is it possible to have TOO much information, to read too much, to KNOW too much? If it creates delay, procrastination or the need for perfection, then YES, Information OVERLOAD kicks in.

Take the 7 hot buttons. HOW does one use those in the promotion? What words have the most impact, on say, flattery? When does flattery cross the smarmy line and becomes a turn off?

I think there is a lot of danger in having so many ideas, so many ways to influence and persuade people, in trying to APPLY those principles...that it is or could be detrimental to productivity.

Here is a decent enough article on the subject of emotional appeals...

https://softcube.com/the-science-of-...l-advertising/

This article includes a long list of APPEALS. Inside of this article is a link to this one:

https://visme.co/blog/types-of-advertising-appeals/

Holy moly brown cow, who know there were so many appeals going on?

Surely a marketer could find use of several of these, right?

Between the Appeals and the 21 points of perfect copy, the 17 checkpoints of the AIDCA formula, the 72 steps in a Ben Suarez product...

Hatch's 7 appeals, Garn's FATAL FOUR...and all that time spent trying to use, impelement and apply these things...

the TIME spent trying to find the right thing to say?

Well, that is one way to do things. Not for me, but if it is working for you all, if you are able to keep all those things you've learned and studied about copywriting, about advertising, about being persuasive...IF you are able to keep those in your conscious AWARENESS while creating a promotion...

you are much further down the road than I am.

I keep simple white boards, with stick figures on them, showing a visual of the process I am trying to achieve, and in the case of making a sale, I look for the minimum effort, but then I'm more interested in SPEED.

An example of this can be clearly be seen in our simple AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING sites, which I use a 22 year old simple html template, and the attitude of BUY IT or DON'T.

Sure, once upon a time, I was paid to write long newspaper ads, and multi page direct response promotions, but even then, I learned there were other ways, like the simple self mailer, one was an 11 by 23 double trifold, with each panel having a product. It outperformed every other copy attempt.

Now, I've already gotten longer winded than I intended, but what I'm asking is...

HOW do you use what you already know?

HOW do you take all those insights, the lists of appeals. the steps to persuasive copy,

the slippery slope from awareness to lifetime value...

HOW do you use what you learn? I've been on the roller coaster ride and as thrilling as it can be, I prefer a chance at the brass ring every few seconds as the Carousel goes round and round, as simple as it gets.

OK, this rant over.

Gordon

MikePT October 30, 2020 08:45 AM

Hi Gordon,

I agree with the information overwhelming.

That's why I try at all to stick with the classics: Hopkins, Ogilvy, Caples...

I stay with the classic appeals that John Caples talks on TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS. That's where I got the headline appeal "MEN: Have More Style That Your Neighboor". And seems working nice.

I really try to stick with the classics.

Thanks for the links. Interesting.

Thanks.

GordonJ October 30, 2020 09:21 AM

I don't know anything about your business, but in general...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41271)
Hi Gordon,

I agree with the information overwhelming.

That's why I try at all to stick with the classics: Hopkins, Ogilvy, Caples...

I stay with the classic appeals that John Caples talks on TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS. That's where I got the headline appeal "MEN: Have More Style That Your Neighboor". And seems working nice.

I really try to stick with the classics.

Thanks for the links. Interesting.

Thanks.

At etsy there is a vendor called FromMoMo with over 56,000 sales and they offer a custom made bracelet, and it appears they have sold around 6,000 of these at about 12 bux each. Or for that ONE product, maybe over 72,000 dollars. Their APPEAL is CUSTOMIZED.

This is very low end, costume type jewelry. Some call it fashion jewelry as opposed to FINE, with gold or silver or precious stones in it.

As stated, I know NOTHING about your market, but the appeals you use should match the market (by your price range).

Tens of thousands of dollars for diamond encrusted bracelets.

About 2500 upper end, to 250 for gifts, and below 100, mostly fashion or costume jewelry. These are arbitrary numbers. Whatever your market is, how you promote to them is determined by WHO they are and WHERE they are.

If they are fashion conscious, or gift buyers, or collectors, or however you segment them, then use an appeal which resonates with that. You already have one that is working. So, as I keep saying, use what works and expand it via selling more to the buyers list, or add ons or upsells, or whatever marketing methods you are using.

I believe the best marketing, the BEST appeal, is what is in it for them, and anyone selling anything needs to know their market as deeply and thoroughly as they can.

As for the classics, if they work for you, great. They may not work for everyone.

Gordon

MikePT October 30, 2020 11:02 AM

Thanks Gordon.