SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Migrant Success Secrets (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4868)

Michael Ross (Aust, Qld) June 15, 2003 10:38 PM

Migrant Success Secrets

There seems to be an imbalance to success when migrants are added to the numbers.

From the outside, migrants appear to have a higher proportion of successful people from their numbers than people born within the country.

And this out-of-whack ratio applies to all western countries - migrants succeed in Australia more than Australians, migrants succeed in the US more than people born in the US, migrants succeed in the UK more than people born there.

We can, in an initial and dismissive way, attribute this to some kind of work ethic - they work harder.

And while that may be the case, that would be an observed result of something else.

In other words... they tend to do jobs other people don't want to do. They tend to do menial tasks. "Idiot work." Often, it is thought, they do these jobs because they don't have the formal qualifications to do anything better (but what does "better" mean?).

And while that may be true, there are many natural born citizens who also work those jobs and who do not succeed.

Without formal qualifications many start their own little businesses. But again, if starting a business was all that mattered than plenty of natural born citizens would also go on to the success migrants do. But it doesn't happen.

As a group, more successes come from migrants than from other groups.

Why is it so?

There is one thing all migrants have in common that gives them an advantage over natural born citizens. It is something all natural born citizens can also have, if they want to.

Before I reveal it I want to hear what others think it is...

So why do migrants tend to succeed more so than natural born citizens?

Michael Ross

Jack Lunn June 15, 2003 11:44 PM

Migrants are "Hungry"

My opinion is that someone who is willing to migrate from their homeland to a strange country is:

1. in search of something better
2. takes great risk in order to find that something.
3. is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed unlike the 99% of their countrymen who stay put.

It takes a different type of person to do something like this. That's why I think they succeed much more than natural born citizens in the same line of work.

Simon Latouche June 16, 2003 04:59 AM

It's An Open Secret...

It's An Open Secret...

The migrants think 'step-by-step'.
He/She needs $20.
Just $20.
You can buy a lot with $20.
You take ANY job, do anything to earn those $20.
Then you set another 'goal' - to earn $20 MORE.
And so on, and so on...

You DON'T have global ambitions, you are NOT thinking about 'building the Internet empire'... or 'writing a book'...

If an immigrant sells books he tries to sell just ONE book, and then another, he is not 'dreaming' of selling to millions of people...

If an immigrant is to find a client he finds ONE client and then one more....

For an immigrant a 'success' is DEFINED by one-step-at-a-time...

For an immigrant everything is IMPOSSIBLE unless it can't be done NOW (and hence - by small portions).

Actually, as one sage put it, there is NO way to achieve 'success' except for putting one foot forward and then another foot forward. Period.

Stop whining about your site 'not-getting-enough hits, customers, buyers'.

Find only ONE buyer, one listener, one reader...

This is how you get a 'migrant' mentality WITHOUT being a migrant...

No 'ambitions', no 'desires', no 'wants', no 'passions'.

Just $20 at-a-time...

Simon

Boyd Stone June 16, 2003 09:24 AM

"The Wealthy 100"

Hi,

You wrote:
> From the outside, migrants appear to have a
> higher proportion of successful people from
> their numbers than people born within the
> country.

I seen a book recently (link follows this message) that supports your assertion. This book profiles the wealthiest 100 American businesspeople of all time. Ben Franklin is on the list as are the two soapy guys who started Amway.

[quote]

Looking over the list, I think the most interesting aspect of the list is how many of these successful entrepreneurs were immigrants, their sole baggage on the long ocean voyage little more than a large dream. Andrew Carnegie, John Jacob Astor, Stephen Girard, Alexander Stewart, Frederick Weyerhauser, William Weightman, Claus Spreckels, Anthony Brady, Adolphus Busch, John Kluge, Joseph Pulitzer, Samuel Slater, and August Belmont were not native-born Americans. In fact, five of the top ten were born in Europe and came here seeking a better life, which they ultimately found.

[unquote]

Hope this adds something to the thread you're building.

Best,

- Boyd

Wealthy 100 Wealthy 100 Wealthy 100 Wealthy 100

James Jones June 16, 2003 10:27 AM

Migrants don't know what CAN'T be done

Migrants don't have the internal governer most of us "Natural Borns" have that tugs at our gut and says, "ah, that can't be done because..."

Their naivety is an asset.

James

Finally! You can Manage Your ClickBank Sales Data Offline

Michael Ross (Aust, Qld) June 16, 2003 05:57 PM

Good point... but

> My opinion is that someone who is willing to
> migrate from their homeland to a strange
> country is:

> 1. in search of something better
> 2. takes great risk in order to find that
> something.
> 3. is willing to do whatever it takes to
> succeed unlike the 99% of their countrymen
> who stay put.

> It takes a different type of person to do
> something like this. That's why I think they
> succeed much more than natural born citizens
> in the same line of work.

Here's an interesting thought... we do not choose in which country we want to live. We are born in a certain country and most people remain living in that country until they pass away.

A migrant chooses not to be bound by that. They decide (choose) in which country they would rather live and go live there. Truly taking action on what they want to do.

So by that token alone - their willingness to take action in being in control of their life - they are ahead of natural born citizens. And that ability is something they can carry over into the other areas of their life - such as building wealth.

(By the same token... most people stick with the name that was given to them by someone else. A person in full control of their life would choose their own name, would they not?)

And while this is an interesting point and observation - in search of something better, etc. - and while it may apply, it is not the one thing I have in mind. What I have in mind is intrinsic to migrants. They have no choice in it.

Michael Ross

Michael Ross (Aust, Qld) June 16, 2003 06:07 PM

Close...

> He/She needs $20.
> Just $20.
> You can buy a lot with $20.
> You take ANY job, do anything to earn those
> $20.
> Then you set another 'goal' - to earn $20
> MORE.
> And so on, and so on...

Simon, you are close to the answer I am looking for. Very close. Go one step deeper. One step prior. The reason for wanting the $20 in the first place.

Why do others want to have instant riches?

Why is the migrant happy to make $20?

What is the difference between the two?

The advantage I am looking for is part of being a migrant. They can lose their advantage, sure. But they have it the moment they arrive in the country.

The answer is actually quite simple. Not mystical. Plain. People will even be disappointed when they find out what it is. But it is obviously hard to see (invisible?) otherwise it would have already been mentioned.

Michael Ross

Michael Ross (Aust, Qld) June 16, 2003 06:13 PM

True, as well...

> Migrants don't have the internal governer
> most of us "Natural Borns" have
> that tugs at our gut and says, "ah,
> that can't be done because..."

This goes hand-in-hand with what I mentioned to Jack. Most people would not think they can go live in another country. The migrant is not stopped by those thoughts. They take more control of their life.

But there is another advantage. It is a bigger advantage.

Migrants have it. Most people don't. Most people only get the advantage once they are in a position in which they can't make full use of the advantage.

Michael Ross

Michael Ross (Aust, Qld) June 16, 2003 06:25 PM

Even in the UK...

Looking over the list of the UK's richest - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,2108,00.html - there are also a heck of a lot of migrants. And very few "internet, hi-tech" guys.

Now, there is a clue in the quote below...

> [quote]

> Looking over the list, I think the most
> interesting aspect of the list is how many
> of these successful entrepreneurs were
> immigrants, their sole baggage on the long
> ocean voyage little more than a large dream.

> [unquote]

> Hope this adds something to the thread
> you're building.

Oh yes, Boyd, it does.

The cryptic puzzle awaits solving... :o)

Michael Ross

Karol Gajda June 16, 2003 07:15 PM

I can speak from experience...

Hi Michael and everybody,

*I apologize in advance if this post sounds like I'm bragging. In a way I guess I am.*

My family (Mom, Dad, brother, me) came to the wonderful US of A from Poland 21 years ago, just 4 days shy of my 1st birthday...and just a few months before Marshall Law was instituted in Poland. Weren't we lucky?

Anyway...

We had 2 suitcases and $400.

My father was a well educated man who studied mechanical engineering in Poland.

He took a minimum wage factory job in the US because it's all he could get.

My mother had a Masters Degree in Chemistry (some specialization of it) and she stayed home to take care of me and my brother until I was 7. Then she got a MINIMUM WAGE job working as a chemist (in her specialized field...I, unfortunately, don't know exactly what it is.)

Today...
My dad works as a Senior Designer at General Motors. My mother works at a small environmental laboratory...no longer at minimum wage.

We now (yes, I still live with my parents!) live in a beautiful new house bigger (almost 3,000 square feet) than anything either of my parents probably ever thought they'd have.

It's already been mentioned, but the reason many immigrants make it is because they work one step at a time. There's no rush to be successful. They just want to live better than the day before and they'll do anything and everything in their power to get there.

No, my parents aren't millionaires and probably never will be. But how did they go from $400 net worth (essentially) to owning a new house, new cars, and not being in debt? Baby steps. Simple as that really.

They knew what they wanted and did what they could to get there.

Karol

Learn eBay in 16 days...for FREE...just click here...