SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Announcement 1: The Secret Life Of Michael Ross (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4164)

MichaelRoss July 12, 2007 11:09 PM

Announcement 1: The Secret Life Of Michael Ross

Thanks for your interest.

Generally, I'm a private person inasmuch as very little of what is my Private/Home life is made available to other people. This was even remarked upon by one of my second grade teachers who told my parents "I know nothing about you because Michael doesn't talk about his home life."

And I could quite happily continue on doing what I am doing now, without mentioning what you are about to see. But I was thinking about what you're about to read and realized some of you - maybe even many - might be able to Benefit in some way. Because there is an important message in this. Several actually.

Back in January 2006 I was the owner/manager of multiple Offline businesses. And I Hired others to do the work while I ran the show, just as I mention in The Art of Leverage.

In July 2007, 18 months later, I no longer own those offline businesses, live in a different city and am Doing things that hadn't crossed mind 18 months earlier. In fact, if two years ago you'd told me, "In two years time you'll be doing X" I would have laughed at you.

So what am I doing now?

First, a little Why about the journey.

Back then (Jan 06) I decided to Ramp Up my real estate investing - interest rates were good and prices had flatlined for a while. And after a chat with my bank's Loan Manager we came up with a way that I could borrow more money for real estate investing Without Needing to show them 2 years worth of tax returns - SOP when lending to business owners in Australia. All I would have to show him was 3 payslips from a job! Even if I quit the job Immediately after getting the loan approval, he said, just 3 payslips would get me the money I wanted to invest with. He didn't care what I did for money After the loan was granted, only before.

So I started to look for a job. I had criteria. It had to pay high enough to Service what I wanted to borrow, and I had to be able to do it Without Needing Additional Education - such as a degree.

The search revealed to me that to get the Type of job I was after All employers asked for a Blue Card - a State Govt card which signifies you have sat through a Workplace Safety Course. Then, Employers wanted employees to have one so if something goes wrong and they Injure themselves the employer is Not Liable because the employee should have known better - as Proven by the Blue Card they have. (Such cards have now become Law in the industrial workplace.)

I didn't know where to get these cards so contacted someone I knew who I was certain had a card and knew where to get one. Turns out they were in another State helping build some Mine Infrastructure. They gave me the number of the person to call at the mine IF I wanted to work there, and also gave me the number to call for the Blue Card. And that was that, so I thought.

While waiting for the Blue Card Course date to come around I began Running The Numbers of working At the mine Building Infrastructure. The numbers Looked good. My wife and I chatted about it and agreed that IF I was accepted we'd move to another state. And so I applied - knowing it was highly unlikely due to the Govt rules and conditions of the permit to build which said the operation had to hire nearby Town Locals first, nearby city locals second, state locals third and out-of-staters last.

Apart from the numbers, I found it appealing because it was a chance to be involved in a Creation Process and the Epitome of the Capitalism system and the achievement of human beings. To you it may be just a building - but - to me it is proof positive of our wonderfulness and our creative abilities as man because no other creature we know of can do what we can do.

And even though it was unlikely I'd get the call, the decision we came to was an important one. Because it meant, Mentally we had Let Go of our Business and Social Interestsin living in that city.

The question now was, what to do with the businesses? Sell them? Shut them down and walk? Give them to the Workers? Hire someone to do what we were doing? Because if the Go Ahead was given we'd only have a Short time to act.

With hiring another person to run the office in our absence, the hiring, to me, would become counter-productive unless I could increase revenue. But increasing revenue was counter productive to staying.

And even though I wasn't DOing anything and was still making money, there are things to deal with. Did I want to add another person into the mix to keep things going while I was in another state and be an absentee business owner for a prolonged length of time? The answer was "no".

After a stint of Business For Sale we got fed up dealing with flakes and shut them down, just like that! I sent out a letter to all customers letting them know we could no longer help them and gave a date and was done with it.

I'd taken this step because the businesses were keeping us tied to the location - physically and mentally. And loss of Goodwill/Built Up Value was worth the Release.

So here I was - By Choice - No Offline Business Income and No Job Income. Some people who knew what I was doing told me They wish they had the Courage to do what I did. But I don't think it takes courage. It takes something else. Can you figure out what?

What were my downsides? I'd eventually eat through the money I'd saved and go on welfare. And in a worse-case scenario there are Charity Food Vouchers, Housing Assistance and so on. All the downsides are covered. But getting to them would be a Lo-o-o-ong way off. Plenty of time to find something.

So while I was contacting different employers and learning what it was like to be a job-seeker, I decided to Upgrade my skills. And since this started, while working and between work over the last 18 months, have acquired the following skills...

=> Dogman - attach the lifting slings to a load and guide the crane where to put the load, using hand and whistle signals and two-way radio.

=> Basic Rigger - erect steel structures.

=> Intermediate Rigger - erect concrete panel structures and latticework cranes and tower cranes.

=> Advanced Rigger - erect anything with wire cables involved (theater lights and backdrops, flying foxes, wire-braced cranes, communications towers, etc.), demolition rigging, suspended and hanging scaffolds.

=> Boomlift - workman's platform/bucket on the end of a telescopic arm.

=> Scissor Lift - workplatform which goes stright up and down.

=> Forklift (electric, diesel and all terrain) - need I say more.

=> Skid Steer Loader (bobcat / drott) - these are the small earth moving machines a lot of landscapers use. A Drott is much bigger, almost like a bulldozer.

=> Front End Loader - the machines with the big bucket on the front used for scooping dirt and other material.

=> Excavator - mainly used to dig holes and trenches. Has a bucket on the end of a long arm.

=> Truck License (open, "crash gear box") - this is currently a work in progress. The instructor told me on Thursday, if I keep this up I'd only need one more lesson.

And since my Journey started I've stripped out and demolished offices and buildings, replaced entire roofs on government buildings in a weekend, worked on high-end residential developments (million dollars plus per condo) and a range of smaller jobs between - built internal fire-escape stair cases, built an 11 meter high fire-retardant drywall 3 sheets thick, installed ceiling grids, dug plumbing trenches, jackhammered bathroom floors in a 40 storey office building, etc. With the latest one being to help build a new bridge in the city - a project which will go to 2011. Here's the project's website http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au and here's a couple of photos I took the other day. Photo 1 is where I was working bolting together the steel formwork frame and Photo 2 is looking back from the edge of the car park which is as big as a football field. The second bridge is being built next to the existing bridge and will be identical to it. (Photos taken around 5.00pm after most everyone else had knocked off for the day.)

The thing with this Chosen Path is, work (and thus income from one source) is NOT guaranteed. Some companies do put on people FullTime. But most people are hired as Casual for the duration of the project or the duration of their work within the project (once the steel formwork is built riggers are no longer needed, once the piles for the pylons have been driven the pile drivers aren't needed, etc.). And it needs to be that way otherwise a company could go bust paying wages to staff who are sitting around idle waiting for the next project. So you could think I have No Security. But I think otherwise.

I am Free - not Married to a job. And can Walk from any project at any time - and have done so. Because in this Field, contacts are Gold. There is Always someone who knows someone who's hiring. And every project you go to you make new contacts. And there are companies who supply people to the Principal Contractor, so you can work on a project through them even if you can't get on the Principal Contractor's books for the project.

If you'd told me 2 years ago that 2 years down the track I will have been In Charge of dual crane lifts (two cranes lifting the same load at the same time), replaced entire roofs, been balanced 40+ feet in the air maintaining a roof truss, demolishing and stripping out buildings and helping build a bridge with a 300 year lifespan, I would not have believed you.

I have shared this because there are Important Lessons (at least 9) in what I've done over the course of the last 18 months and shared here. And while I could Spoon Feed them to you, I think it Better if YOU Think about the above and tell Me what the lessons are.

Michael Ross

Ankesh July 13, 2007 04:23 AM

Re: Announcement 1: The Secret Life Of Michael Ross

Thanks Michael for sharing your story.

Lessons I learnt from it:

1. Take action

2. Think long term

3. Taking the jump

4. Ask

5. Focus

6. Improve your skills - learn new things

Phil July 13, 2007 05:52 AM

Michael,

Thanks for Sharing...

Wow! That's one Exciting Life changing experience... :)

That alone is a Great Lesson! And Many more if you Analyze your story...

Although, there had to be some other options regarding your Offline businesses...

If they were Solid financially and Future resistant...

It's an Investment that may have had some other Possibilities...

I don't remember the offer on Sowpubs... Who knows...

Australia could have been a very Nice Life changing experience... Long term Vacation for some of us... ;)

Phil

SteveSki July 13, 2007 05:57 AM

Re: Announcement 1: Michael Ross - Burns His Bridges

Hi Michael, Isn't it amazing what someone can learn when he or she decides to burn their bridges and commits themselves to a particular course of action! I drove semi truck cross country and dug ditches too when I had to but I love earning more in a day now with my camera than I use to in a week of doing manual labor.

Four years ago if anyone told me I would be living in Australia doing what I'm doing now I would have said...
I've been visualizing exactly that for sometime and it's just not happening.

But wow... what a difference a few years can make.

I'm spoiled rotten now and would have a hard time if I had to take on a real job again. But like Mark Twain said...
the real trick is to make your vocation your vacation!

Hope you're having fun and enjoying your work!

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.MaverickPhotographer.com
PS... Thanks for sending me the updated version of your "Success Factor". Using the information in your report will help me to create an even bigger advantage over other photographers but it is really my wife who I owe my success to. She let's me know what my shortcomings are and pushes me out of my comfort zone and it's her creative ideas that give us a real advantage. But your report makes it clearer for me to understand that. And thanks to your twist on affirmations my "Mind Movies" will take on new power!

marye July 13, 2007 10:48 AM

Hi Michael,
I'm back after another hiatus, and saw your post. Here are the lessons I saw:

Believe in yourself.
Set a goal, and let nothing get in the way of its achievement.
Recognize that life is about being happy - doing what you want.
Be fearless. Concentrating on what ifs and projecting a future that hasn't happened is constructing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Marye

Lawrence July 13, 2007 01:36 PM

Michael,

Sounds to me like you were "spoon fed" a lot of valuable experience. That's experience you'll be able to draw from to help shape your future!

Yours is a great example for anyone to apply to their own lives.

One of my favorite inspirational sayings is:

"You can't discover new lands if you're afraid to lose sight of the shore"

That applies perfectly to your adventures.

Lawrence

Goldblogger July 13, 2007 03:31 PM

Great Stuff! A Marketing Lesson Is There Too!

Aloha Michael,

I respect you and your wife for what you did. Few people in this world have that sort of courage.

A great marketing lesson can be drawn from your story...

It is okay to DROP a project or business at any point that it becomes a drag on what you need to do next. So many people hold on to useless projects, dead projects or dying projects -- when the smart thing to do is to DROP it and move on.

Aloha,

Jason

sandy July 14, 2007 10:34 AM

Michael I've followed you for quite some time and congratulations--seems you've got the Fountain Head experiences of Howard Roark goin on...I've bought some of your great tools so I'm glad you posted what's going on in your life. I ditto some of the others in terms of what was revealed in your lessons. So here are some of my observations from your prior post, and then I have a question for you.

Observations:
) Leveraging work
2)real estate investing
3) using other people's money
4) search for opportunities
5) taking action-applying for work
6) committment to action
7) weighing pros and cons
8) Open to learning new skills
9) contracting your work

Now to get back to my question : After getting away from business: the paper projects you were engaged in and internet marketing, developing tools etc., what is your feeling about "business" in general? Do you think after engaging in the type of business and work you are doing now(because it's hand ons) it has changed you in some way and in your perception about business people and or strategies they use. I'm wondering if it has hightened your perception of "fluff" in business and interested in any other observations you have about doing business . Also, is the work you're doing now and they way you are doing as fulfilling or more fulfilling than what you were doing before? So as not to bore you: once, what happened to me is that I had been doing pencil paper type work and then when I actually did some management of a retail store and really got into doing the hard labor in the store: cleaning, reorganizing etc. I had the truest since of fulfillment ever in the business world. In other words the "hands on" gave me a real sense of accomplishment and it prepared me to work harder in my other endeavors.
Anyway I'd love to hear how this experience has changed in any way your perception about doing business.
Thank you,
Sandy

Duane Adolph July 14, 2007 04:40 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing:

A couple of thoughts.

1. You did not see yourself doing what you are currently doing 18 months prior. Reminds me of a quote "You create your universe as you go along"

2. I like your idea of leverage to get the funds that you need. 3 paychecks, just over a month or two and you could have your large cash sum. Those that may have been opposed to Debt would have tried to save the cash. Which would have taken forever if they used their job as the vehicle to get the cash.

3. You are in the POWER position in your world. Where you can Choose to Create whatever lifestyle you want to. Power in life is having more than ONE option

4. You Increase your skills, to Increase your value to an employer to get the job that you wanted, at the income YOU wanted, to get the Loan that YOU wanted. Shows Clarity of your End Result, and you invented the means to get there ...ON YOUR TERMS

5. Your EGO did not get in the way of you getting a J.O.B. Seems to be an ANTI JOB sentiment amongst business owners and entrepreneurs. Specifically when they use terms like "wage slaves" etc. etc.

6. You used your marketing skills to analyze the Market ie. the Job Market to get the Job you needed. You took ACTION as well.

7. Jobs and Business are just means to get to some end, but most see the vehicle as the end in itself.

Lots of insights can be garnered from your post, especially those that have been here for a while and have read your other posts.

Thank You for sharing.

Infact I was actually SURPRISED that you were getting a loan. Surprised becasue there was a discussion a while back about a "FOREIGNERS SECRET TO WEALTH" and the discussion of debt.

That thread alone was easliy worth $20,000 to me back in 2004 I believe... But THAT is a story for another time :->

Thanks Michael

Duane Adolph

MichaelRoss July 14, 2007 09:37 PM

Thoughts on business

Sandy,

Thanks for asking.

Before this Began, my wife had remarked how much like Howard Roark I am :)

Anyway. To your three questions....

1: Do you think after engaging in the type of business and work you are doing now(because it's hand ons) it has changed you in some way and in your perception about business people and or strategies they use.

No and Yes...

No, because my business endeavors had, in the early years, always been Hands On. Mainly because I didn't know any other way. So being Hands On isn't anything new to me. And I can see how You could get a new perspective as you move from pencil pushing to hands on, as you now feel like you are playing a Direct - and vital - Role in the running of the business.

Yes, because I became even More Aware of the Tremendous Variety of money making efforts out there and I get to meet many people with interesting stories to tell.

Guys with degrees who can't get jobs with those degrees so start their own business and now rake it in - clearing $3k a week.

Guys who decide that 20 years in one trade is enough and become an Apprentice at a second trade - like 39 year old 1st year apprentice plumbers.

And others. And even just walking through the city you can stop, pause, look at someone on the street and know, they have a story to tell, they have a life they are living with friends and family. And at that moment, you know nothing about them, and likely never will, nor meet them ever again. They could be on their way to work, might be a spy or drug courier, or even walking to get a bite to eat. They have dreams and aspirations and concerns. They may be a nice person, or not. But you'll never know. I am more aware of this.

There are businesses out there turning over Millions of dollars a year and the overwhelming vast majority of people have never heard of them and aren't aware they exist.

That guy with a crappy desk in his garage and a couple of small trucks that look like they are about to fall apart, who just takes rubbish away. He can make $5k a week just taking aluminum to the recyclers. On top of whatever he charged the client to get rid of it.

The fitout company we did a strip out for a $1.2mil refurbishment. The client, a well known business man. He bought two condos and wanted them redone and joined - so strip it out and knock out the adjoining wall. Everyone in town knows the businessman, but not the businesses getting his money. (BTW, the fitout company is leveraged all over. Even the foreman of the project puts in a Invoice to be paid - he subcontracts to the fitout company.)

The small crane company with cranes so small they can fit through a doorway. Clears about $400k a year.

The guy with a pickup who just does scrap metal. Might pay $300 for the metal. Loads it onto his pickup and takes it straight to the scrap metal yard for a cool $1,800 - clearing $1,500, not bad for a couple hours work in the morning. Another guy with a Deal with electricians - he picks up the bags of wire when they strip it out of an office and pays them. Takes the wire to the scrap yard where he gets Double what he paid the electrician an hour earlier - the bags of discarded wire are worth about $300 - $400 dollars.

The fellow who gets-for-free, unwanted office partition glass and turns it into fishtanks. I am more aware of the multitude of businesses out there.

2: Is the work you're doing now and they way you are doing as fulfilling or more fulfilling than what you were doing before?

More fulfilling, to me. And I think there are more than one reason why this is so.

Let me give two examples that I know, from experience, I think about differently.

The first is about Jackhammering in a 40 storey building. The Management wanted to make the Bathroom & Kitchenette Floors more Classy. Remove the small 2" square tiles, plus the Bedding they were laid on, plus three rows high going up the wall. (Side note, I used to have the contract to clean ALL the windows on this building many years earlier.)

It sounds a relatively easy task - just jackhammer it. But there's a little more to it...

Because it's an office building it Has to be done at night and the weekend. So we'd start at 6pm on Fri night and go to 10pm. Then back at 6am on Sat morning and stay until we were done - done hammering and getting all the rubble out (about 6,000kg of rubble - roughly 13,000 pounds).

After an hour or so on the 65 pound hammers (that's the weight of the hammer) the other fellows are starting to complain. My thinking is, do not complain about something you don't have to subject yourself to. And I'd turn to them and say, "I like jackhammering" and it was true. I DO like jackhammering. It's fun - physical, loud, dirty, grimy but Fun.

Next example. On one project the Internal Hoist Driver was having Heated Words with the head of the tilers. To avoid it going physical they took him out of the hoist and asked me to drive it. So here I am, driving the internal hoist (basically an elevator) ALL day - and Loving it. (Did this for about a month.)

No-one could understand why I liked it so much. I joked with them that I got to meet people and travel HA!

But here's the thing... it was all in how you thought about it. MY thinking was this... I am here to Help these guys get to their work areas as quickly as possible without any hassles and to make it a good trip along the way.

And so I would talk to Everyone. Thank them for riding the Project Lift when they got out and ask them to "Please use us again". I was the only English speaker on the site who would talk to the Chinese Drywallers and Korean Tilers - who taught me a LOT of words to the point other people thought I could speak those languages.

Other hoist drivers (there were three hoists on the site) would talk to no-one and would be in the Box all grumpy. To hell with that. My lift was a Fun place to be in for the minute or so the journey took. *I* made it fun.

It is all in how I looked at it. Where others complain, I enjoy. I enjoy because of my larger outlook on it.

One guy asked me why I was always so Happy on the site. I said "Look at it" sweeping my arm to encompass the project and beyond. "Isn't this wonderful. We are part of this creation. This isn't just a complex of condos. It's the wonderfulness of humans over their environment. The crux of achievement. The entire city is Proof of it. I am happy because I am a part of that creation."

It doesn't make things any clearer. People just look at you like you're a loon. Because they don't Get It.

So "Yes" I am more fulfilled and this - being a part of man's wonderfulness in tangible form - is why.

3: What is your feeling about "business" in general?

Most people should Not be in business and would be better off in a Job, as seen when you run the numbers of their business.

One woman I know turns over well in excess of $100k a year. BUT, after expenses her Taxable income is $25k. And this is a business with a physical location which requires the business to be open 7 days. She is working 7 days for the same money as she'd get in a 40 hour a week job. But she has Longer hours and more business headaches than she'd have in a job. She would be better off in a job - as long as, she enjoyed it.

I know laborers - with no skills (no Tickets or paper that prove they have a skill) - making $80k a year. I know of a job vacancy paying $28 an hour, plus time and a half for overtime (2 hours a day of overtime) plus $35 a day for travel. That's $1,120 for 40 hours + $420 for OT plus $210 for six days travel for a total of $1,750 per week ($91k per year) for a Laborer!!! Most small businesses cannot give the owner that kind of money.

Most businesses Trap the owner - to the location, the customers, etc. The business owner doesn't realize the extent of the trap until they try to break free. Then, that weightless noose/shackle tightens and pulls them right back.

If business Goes Bad they cannot just go start another business. If your job goes bad you can always just go get another job - as long as you are not a job snob.

Most business owners - and this also applies to people in general - cannot manage money. They have no idea of their income or their expenses and leave it to their accountant. This is Wrong.

If you know nothing about your business - because you hire skilled people to do the DOing - at least know your numbers and Control the money.

One business owner I know was in such bad shape, his wife spoke with her sister to ask her husband to come Save the business. So the brother-in-law jumped in. He was only a chippie, but knew numbers. And he took over pricing the work and organizing the staff for half the business. That half of the business took off while the owner's half continued to struggle because he would not listen to his brother-in-law or do likewise.

For instance, the owner would rather have a couple of workers do something the hard way and take an extra half hour to do the job (one man hour) instead of spending $3 on a consumable which would save half an hour of time. He'd saved $3 but it'd Cost him Much more (penny wise, pound foolish).

Most business owners think they know everything. The more successful ones know they don't and won't ever and get other people to do the things they cannot do, or don't want to do, or cannot do as well. They are few and far between.

Most people would be better off sticking with their job and just doing something on the side. It doesn't need to be a big something. A small - fly low and collect the dough - something. Some hotsheets, something they make at home while watching TV, etc. That, combined with better money management, will serve them tremendously.

The biggest change would be to... enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy, regardless whether it's a job or business.

Michael Ross