SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I believe we're witnessing a huge "sea change"... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10688)

Dien Rice July 4, 2020 08:48 PM

I believe we're witnessing a huge "sea change"...

These things coming together... The coronavirus, the job losses, and the marches against racially-based police brutality... I believe are causing a permanent "sea change"...

I think it will be akin to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

And there will be consequences for business... We're already seeing them...

I'm still figuring out what the consequences will be...

An example of this is Netflix. They're moving about $100 million dollars to black-owned banks.

Another example of this is the Mississippi governor signing to remove the Confederate flag from its state flag. (Many argue that the Confederate flag is historically a symbol of treason against the United States... though for some in the past, they just saw it as a sign of being proud of being a southerner...)

There will be more consequences. You gotta know about them to be on the "winning" side of this big sea change...

Hope to say more about this in future! (Crying-newborn baby and time-permitting!) :)

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Because of my new daughter, I've been looking more into my ancestry. I just recently found out, I'm descended from a few who came across from Europe on the Mayflower (according to records at Geni.com). I'm a descendant of William White, his wife Susanna, and their son Resolved, who was about 5 years old when he got on the Mayflower... Resolved White is my 10th great grandfather. I also have other ancestors who came across during the Puritan migration, a few decades later...

GordonJ July 4, 2020 10:22 PM

The Mayflower? Big deal. I go all the way back to

Noah. And he goes back, to, well, the beginning.

But also, that is just on one side, on the other, I go back to "Lucy".

Now, as a Son of the Mayflower, do we have to address you as Sir, or something???

I think you are right about the Sea Change, but, before it settles down, there will be blood in the streets. The long hot summer has just begun.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40898)
These things coming together... The coronavirus, the job losses, and the marches against racially-based police brutality... I believe are causing a permanent "sea change"...

I think it will be akin to the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

And there will be consequences for business... We're already seeing them...

I'm still figuring out what the consequences will be...

An example of this is Netflix. They're moving about $100 million dollars to black-owned banks.

Another example of this is the Mississippi governor signing to remove the Confederate flag from its state flag. (Many argue that the Confederate flag is historically a symbol of treason against the United States... though for some in the past, they just saw it as a sign of being proud of being a southerner...)

There will be more consequences. You gotta know about them to be on the "winning" side of this big sea change...

Hope to say more about this in future! (Crying-newborn baby and time-permitting!) :)

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Because of my new daughter, I've been looking more into my ancestry. I just recently found out, I'm descended from a few who came across from Europe on the Mayflower (according to records at Geni.com). I'm a descendant of William White, his wife Susanna, and their son Resolved, who was about 5 years old when he got on the Mayflower... Resolved White is my 10th great grandfather. I also have other ancestors who came across during the Puritan migration, a few decades later...

Dien Rice July 5, 2020 07:29 AM

Not all cool... unfortunately...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40901)
Noah. And he goes back, to, well, the beginning.

But also, that is just on one side, on the other, I go back to "Lucy".

Now, as a Son of the Mayflower, do we have to address you as Sir, or something???

I think you are right about the Sea Change, but, before it settles down, there will be blood in the streets. The long hot summer has just begun.

Hi Gordon,

Such an ancestry is not all rosy...

My subsequent research (today) makes it look like Resolved White was involved in plantations in the West Indies - which would probably have involved slavery. His father-in-law (William Vassal) became a big plantation owner there.

So yeah, that part is not pretty, and not cool.

So no need to call me "sir" - just don't blame me for the sins of my ancestors!

On the "plus" side, Geni also tells me I'm the 12th cousin of Muhammad Ali!

(You can get lost looking this stuff up...!)

Time to float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ July 5, 2020 11:48 AM

Don't blame me for the sins of my ancestors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40902)
Hi Gordon,

Such an ancestry is not all rosy...

My subsequent research (today) makes it look like Resolved White was involved in plantations in the West Indies - which would probably have involved slavery. His father-in-law (William Vassal) became a big plantation owner there.

So yeah, that part is not pretty, and not cool.

So no need to call me "sir" - just don't blame me for the sins of my ancestors!

On the "plus" side, Geni also tells me I'm the 12th cousin of Muhammad Ali!

(You can get lost looking this stuff up...!)

Time to float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Many, if not most of the founding members here in N. America, pushed the indigenous natives further and further West, and committed genocide against them.

We, Can't take the blame, but we can do what is right to correct the wrongs...the powerful taking what they want away from the weaker.

Happening today too. As we are all witnessing.

Gordon