SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   For Rhonda (Curb Painting) (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4807)

Nancy May 19, 2003 08:16 PM

For Rhonda (Curb Painting)

Rhonda,
Awhile back you posted a question here about Curb Painting.
About a year ago Mike Rodman made this very informative post about this at his forum

Here is the URL to that specific post:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=166590&messageid=1024684404

Curb Painting Info

Steve Shulenski May 20, 2003 04:05 PM

$200 Daily (Curb Painting)!!!!

> Rhonda,
> Awhile back you posted a question here about
> Curb Painting.
> About a year ago Mike Rodman made this very
> informative post about this at his forum

> Here is the URL to that specific post:

>
> http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=166590&messageid=1024684404

If anyone wants to see the flyer I use to beat the pants off of the curb painting flyer I'd be happy to send you one.

If you decide to use it DO NOT print it on any color other than white or your response will go down. From posting alone this flyer gets an average response of 2 to 4%. Not bad considering that I charge $39 to do the job.

If you are willing to knock on doors, hand the home owner a full color brochure and tell them why the local police and fire departments endorse your service and ask them which style of address sign they prefer you can write your own paycheck.

After I install a address sign for someone I thank them and give them a flyer that offers a Free ADT or Protect America Home Security System. (Protect America pays you a $300 commission. That's twice what ADT will pay).

If you would like a copy of the Home Security Flyer e-mail me your contact info including your phone and address and I will snail mail it to you.

The curb painting flyer has been around for years. In fact Don Alm told me he was using it way back in the summer of 1965 to make at least $200 a day. He said that it sure beat working construction as most construction workers back in 65 had to work all week long to earn $200.

NightVision Address Signs are what you should consider offering instead of the curb paintings. Why.... Because with the curbs the addresses are often obscured by snow or leafs and parked cars. Plus you have to be right in front of the house you are looking for before you can see the curb painting. With the NightVision address signs you can see them coming or going Day or Night from either end of the street long before you get to the house.

Yes you can earn great income doing this but there are a few problems with it.

For one ... it's outdoor work so chances are you won't want to do it in bad weather. And two... In my opinion, it's not a real business. It's a real job.

If you stop putting flyers out your income stops. That's one reason why I only do it part of the year and invest the rest of my time doing photography and setting up and selling advertising programs (I like the residual income from ad renewals).

If you live in a northern state like I do, this or a deck renewal business can be promoted effectively with flyers this time of year. I can't handle the heat and humidity of the south or the real cold up north in the winter very well so I choose to only work this part time.

If you would like to touch and hold my marketing flyers let me know and I'll snail mail them to you. Just promise you won't post them anywhere on the Internet. I believe in helping people but I do not want to give away my secrets to all of my competitors.

Sincerely,
Steve Shulenski

Be Your Own Boss! Discover 25 Unique Ways To Earn $50,000 Working For Your Self!

Rhonda May 20, 2003 11:56 PM

Re: For Rhonda (Curb Painting)

Thanks for the link. Great info

Lawrence May 21, 2003 01:04 PM

No matter how good the flier is - human nature always prevails

A well written flier can pull better than one that's not, but the 1 to 3 percent response rate is due to human nature.

Inspite of the inital interest and intention to follow through or get to it later, most people get busy and forget to do so. That's just the way it is!

I tried several different fliers offering curb address painting and the response difference was only 1 or 2 percent and usually within that 1 to 3 percent response range. There was a time or two when I would get 4 or 5 percent and a time or two when I would get nothing at all.

When I started to knock on doors to offer the service in the same areas where fliers had been distributed, I was surprised at the response.

I would often hear: "Thanks for stopping by, I wanted to order from the flier, but just forgot and I really do want this done".

My response rate when doing fliers AND knocking on doors rose to the 10% to 15% range - not bad.

Now I work a system I developed where I only knock on doors with no fliers at all and average a solid, consistent 60% response and often higher.
And that translates into around $300 a day anytime I want!

It's truely amazing what can be done with something as seemingly simple and basic as curb address painting when a proven system is followed and it's run like a business.

Lawrence

Steve Shulenski May 21, 2003 04:01 PM

Re: No matter how good the flier is - human nature always prevails

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know about the results you got from the flyer you wrote for your MLM program. A couple of people asked to see my flyers for both the address numbers and the free home security systems as seen in the photo below.

Would it be ok with you if I also snail mailed them a copy of the flyer you sent me?

I don't think it would be a good idea to e-mail it because it could easily get passed on to people who are not in your downline. You did a great job creating it and you should try to keep it in your downline only.

The copyright will help protect your work but it would still cause you a problem if someone violated it and I know you prefer to help people versus fighting them in court for theft of your intellectual property.

I bet you own a copy of Robert B. Cialdini's book "Influence" The Psychology of Persuasion?

Steve

Ask me how you can make $$$ addressing houses and giving away free security systems!

Lawrence May 22, 2003 01:08 PM

Re: No matter how good the flier is - human nature always prevails

Steve,

Please feel free to send out that flier along with yours at your discretion.

Your fliers obviously work well or you would not receive the response you do. If you get as much as a 4% response rate, then you do have a winner. It just means that you need to distribute lots of them for sustained response.

I've not read read "The psychology of persuasion" but I will check it out - thanks for the suggestion since it sounds right up my alley.

Lawrence

> I'm sure a lot of people would like to know
> about the results you got from the flyer you
> wrote for your MLM program. A couple of
> people asked to see my flyers for both the
> address numbers and the free home security
> systems as seen in the photo below.

> Would it be ok with you if I also snail
> mailed them a copy of the flyer you sent me?

> I don't think it would be a good idea to
> e-mail it because it could easily get passed
> on to people who are not in your downline.
> You did a great job creating it and you
> should try to keep it in your downline only.

> The copyright will help protect your work
> but it would still cause you a problem if
> someone violated it and I know you prefer to
> help people versus fighting them in court
> for theft of your intellectual property.

> I bet you own a copy of Robert B. Cialdini's
> book "Influence" The Psychology of
> Persuasion?

> Steve