SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One thing I'm doing about my health... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9075)

Dien Rice March 8, 2015 07:21 PM

One thing I'm doing about my health...

As you may (or may not) know, my health hasn't been the best in recent years... I have Type 2 diabetes, and I'm doing what I can to "fix things" best I can...

I had a blood test last week, with some positive results. I had a "non-alcoholic fatty liver" - yet apparently, that's cleared up! (I'd lost a lot of weight since my last blood test, which was quite a while ago, and that could be part of the reason...!)

I also recently got a smartphone, and discovered - it can count my steps!

I use a free app (for iPhone) called "Pacer" (there's also a free app for Android called "WalkLogger" which a friend of mine uses).

I pretty much just carry my smartphone in my pocket almost all the time - even indoors - and it automatically counts my steps! (The app runs in the background.)

My goal is at least 6000 steps a day (not quite the 10,000 steps they talk about, I'll work my way up there)!

Here are some of the good things I've found about "automatically" counting your steps this way...
  • It's very motivational. I used to try walk at least a half hour each day, like they tell you to do. The thing is, you have to keep track of it, it's something you have to do deliberately, and sometimes I did it, sometimes I didn't. It was a hassle. With the smartphone, I know at the end of the day, it's recorded a certain number of steps, whether I "tried" to do the steps or not... I can't "pretend" I walked when I really didn't (which was my former method)!
  • Because I'm motivated to walk more, it means I get out more! Since I often work from home (as more and more people do nowadays), this is a good thing!
  • You learn which areas are good for walking around in. Some places are better than others. For example, I know several great areas with interesting stores, cafes, and restaurants, but... In some areas, all the stores and cafes all bunched together, while in other areas, they are much more spread apart. The "spread apart" areas always seem to end up in counting more steps! (Which is logical, but I'd never really given it much thought before...)
  • While it's great at helping you get out more, you're also counting your steps at home... So walking around your house is not "wasted"... :)
  • Here's a real surprise. You know when you can't find a parking spot near where you want to be, and you have to walk a lot? It sucks! But now - I rejoice when that happens. Why? Because it means I'll get more steps in! In fact, I've found myself even intentionally parking further away, just to increase my steps! (I know - that's crazy behavior...! ;) )
  • When you're always counting your steps, you have to face the reality of how much you are actually walking... You're accountable. No more "fooling" yourself!
But what a fool believes... he sees
No wise man has the power... to reason away
What seems to be
Is always better than nothing

(In the immortal yet slightly confusing words of the Doobie Brothers...!)

If you need to walk more... why not try it this way?

If you don't have a smartphone, I don't see why you can't do something similar with a pedometer... (Though the smartphone keeps track of how many steps you're doing per day, and that sort of thing, which is nice.)

You need good health to be successful in business!

Good health means a happier life, and you'll probably make more money too (since you'll have more energy)...! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Don't worry, you can still occasionally be a couch potato... I know I still am! ;)

sandalwood March 8, 2015 09:41 PM

Re: One thing I'm doing about my health...

Dien,

Congratulations on taking steps to rebuild your health. I am doing the same thing. In fact one thing I noticed beside eating the right food is removing all the toxic products and medications from my everyday life. I've replaced a good lot of them with all natural alternatives. Mostly, by the way, thanks to my wife who has a better handle on this stuff than I do.

I bought a book by a lady who had health problems and put her research and findings to paper. Here is my clickbank url:

http://tinyurl.com/qgvnz9r

so you can get a copy. Yes I make a few bucks but that's no different than sending people to links and trying to sell them your latest report. This book is the real deal and boy was I surprised at all the "toxic junk" we had laying around the homestead.

I also have a free pdf I will post on the forum once I put it up on my site. It is called Freedom from Fat. It'll help you with your diabetes. I know its helped me with my GERD.

I hope this helps and people turn their old polluted life into a clean life.

Thanks,

Tom

Dien Rice March 9, 2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood (Post 34568)
Dien,

Congratulations on taking steps to rebuild your health. I am doing the same thing. In fact one thing I noticed beside eating the right food is removing all the toxic products and medications from my everyday life. I've replaced a good lot of them with all natural alternatives. Mostly, by the way, thanks to my wife who has a better handle on this stuff than I do.

I bought a book by a lady who had health problems and put her research and findings to paper. Here is my clickbank url:

http://tinyurl.com/qgvnz9r

so you can get a copy. Yes I make a few bucks but that's no different than sending people to links and trying to sell them your latest report. This book is the real deal and boy was I surprised at all the "toxic junk" we had laying around the homestead.

I also have a free pdf I will post on the forum once I put it up on my site. It is called Freedom from Fat. It'll help you with your diabetes. I know its helped me with my GERD.

I hope this helps and people turn their old polluted life into a clean life.

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I agree, losing the toxins can only help... I'll look into the book!

I'd be interested in any other info you had, too... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

sandalwood March 9, 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 34571)
Thanks Tom,

I agree, losing the toxins can only help... I'll look into the book!

I'd be interested in any other info you had, too... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

I'll see what I can dig up. I have been into eliminating or at least reducing the toxins in the house and body so I have articles in a folder. I just have to remember what backup drive I put them on. I only have 4 so it shouldn't be too hard.

Here is the free ebook I mentioned above: http://senior2senior.org/FreedomFromFat.pdf

I got it from another NL I read.

GordonJ March 9, 2015 11:00 PM

LONG blast from the past...

Went mining...found this (and added relevance with highlighting):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 34567)
You need good health to be successful in business!

Good health means a happier life, and you'll probably make more money too (since you'll have more energy)...! :)

Best wishes,
Dien

P.S. Don't worry, you can still occasionally be a couch potato... I know I still am! ;)

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888

www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111

from that old post:
Your life is your responsibility.
(Read: HEALTH)
If you want more (health) out of your life, only YOU can do anything about it.

I can’t.

Dien Can’t.

Even the kind benevolent spirit of Mary Campbell can’t be of service.

If you don’t know what you want.

Which is the first order of business here. And one I will be FOCUSED on during the launch of SOWPUB.

I’m going to tell YOU how to get what you want, even HOW to figure out what that is.

The answer won’t come from me. It is the seed of your individuality seeking expression.

We’re just the farmers that are going to help YOU to get it to grow.

Thanks for your time and attention.

As for the audio program, MIDNIGHT AT MARY CAMPBELL’S CAVE…ask me in a month or two, (or DECADE or so) maybe I’ll change my mind and let you listen to it. Maybe. Maybe not.

Gordon (the friendly ghost hunter) Alexander

NEW 03/09/2015 PS.

A review of the SQ1 shows you exactly what you need to do re: health.

ChardLad March 12, 2015 11:46 AM

I could stand to lose a few pounds – so I have decided to be more active. This can come in a variety of ways, and I love the idea you gave with the smartphone. Just one of the things that has really shown me that I needed to change my attitude was that I would drive around the same parking lot several times until there was a spot right next to the door. Nowadays, I just go in and I walk. That is an accomplished feeling!

hockeycoachdoug March 12, 2015 01:13 PM

ChardLad- I appreciate your example of parking and walking- Now, just add being thankful that you have the ability to make that walk, and you will enjoy the act all the more. Here's to parking way out in the lot, and leaving the close spots for those that can't make the walk.

GordonJ March 12, 2015 01:27 PM

The main reason for failure (or success)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChardLad (Post 34596)

I just go in and I walk. That is an accomplished feeling!

In a minute, I'll be posting about someone who is finally ready...but first...

The number one reason for quitting (just about anything) is

lack of results...at a fast enough pace.

So, whether it is in dieting or health or marketing or making money, IF you set it up from the beginning to have small success quickly, your momentum builds and your resolve strengthens.

this is shown on the SQ1 POA (Pyramid of Accomplishment).

Give yourself a daily feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT to boost your spirits and your activity. Sometimes I start laundry. I know I have 25 mins during wash cycle and 40 minutes for drying...and I try to accomplish something in that hour or so. Usually try to reach a writing goal.

Not only it "forces my hand" when I'm not feeling all that creative, but I get some clean clothes out of the deal too.

Small steps taken continuously lead to the destination you set.

The reason most Internet Marketing programs fail is, they promise the big bux after many a hoop has been jumped through, but don't give you some fast success, albeit small, right away.

Gordon

PS Read my post on "HE'S FINALLY READY...ARE YOU?"

TommyBoy March 12, 2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeycoachdoug (Post 34597)
ChardLad- I appreciate your example of parking and walking- Now, just add being thankful that you have the ability to make that walk, and you will enjoy the act all the more. Here's to parking way out in the lot, and leaving the close spots for those that can't make the walk.

My reason for parking far away is two fold. 1) health reasons as mentioned, but 2) I'm forgetful. If my car is way out there I just have to know the general vicinity of the vehicle and I can spot it. I don't want to have to remember where I parked each time I go to a mall. Just figure it's going to be far away.

My wife usually says, "there's one a little farther away, why don't you go there?" Who needs sarcasm when I'm battling memory loss!!

Dien Rice March 12, 2015 08:46 PM

The low-carb, high-fat diet

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood (Post 34573)
I'll see what I can dig up. I have been into eliminating or at least reducing the toxins in the house and body so I have articles in a folder. I just have to remember what backup drive I put them on. I only have 4 so it shouldn't be too hard.

Here is the free ebook I mentioned above: http://senior2senior.org/FreedomFromFat.pdf

I got it from another NL I read.

Thanks for sharing that booklet, Tom.

It talks in part about having a low-carb, high-fat diet.

It happens that I've been trying out this diet for little bit over a week! I've had some good results.

Some of my diabetes symptoms have gotten better since I started this diet. My energy levels have also been much higher.

The only problems I've had are with what they call the "low-carb flu!" It's not a real flu. Instead, these are flu-like symptoms that you can get as your body is adjusting to the low-carb, high-fat diet.

So, whenever I get these "flu" symptoms now, I do eat some carbs until the flu symptoms go away. However, with each day, I seem to need to do this less and less, as my body seems to be adjusting to burning more fat.

Thanks again, Tom! Are you doing this diet yourself?

If you are doing this diet yourself, or if anyone else is, I would love to hear about your results! I'll report what my results are, too, as I continue with the diet.

Best wishes,

Dien