SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you invest 500 bux if you could make 900 profit in a day? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10255)

GordonJ November 23, 2018 09:56 AM

Would you invest 500 bux if you could make 900 profit in a day?

Or in 10-15 hours?

I don't think most people would do it. Mainly because most people can't talk to other people.

But as far as a Biz-Op goes, I think many people would invest 500 to get 1400 and pocket 900 gross. It has to do with the mindset.

Probably only 1 in 100 would be Internet marketers, who fiddle fart around for months (years) trying to make any money...

A person with a little gumption, can go out TODAY, give a business a really nifty gift for free, and have 1400 by the end of the day. Without having to have a web site or even a computer, but this is the state of opportunity today, too many people make it hard trying to make it easy.

Leaving the computer is ONE sure fire way to get ahead of those who won't. Just saying.

Gordon

PS. You're a terrible chatteler if you wouldn't buy for 500 and sell for 1400.

Dien Rice November 30, 2018 08:22 PM

Some would rather slave away for a month to make $2k - if they’re lucky...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39442)
PS. You're a terrible chatteler if you wouldn't buy for 500 and sell for 1400.

Hi Gordon,

A friend of mine recently joined a new MLM scheme... The big success stories in their promotions were those making $2,000 per month...

So, spend $500 and make $900 profit - in a day? Hey, with 3 days work (if you can get the same deal) you could make $3,600...

Or... work for 30 days, be a “big success” - to bring in $2,000? Which is better?

I know which one I’d prefer!

(I politely declined my friend’s offer to join the new MLM scheme... Which, by the way, also cost around $500 to join, if I remember right...)

Gordon - if I may ask - what can you buy for $500 to sell for $1400 (or thereabouts)?

Best wishes!

Dien

P.S. The Chattel Report gives some answers...!

GordonJ November 30, 2018 10:15 PM

An answer from our archives is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 39452)
Hi Gordon,

A friend of mine recently joined a new MLM scheme... The big success stories in their promotions were those making $2,000 per month...

So, spend $500 and make $900 profit - in a day? Hey, with 3 days work (if you can get the same deal) you could make $3,600...

Or... work for 30 days, be a “big success” - to bring in $2,000? Which is better?

I know which one I’d prefer!

(I politely declined my friend’s offer to join the new MLM scheme... Which, by the way, also cost around $500 to join, if I remember right...)

Gordon - if I may ask - what can you buy for $500 to sell for $1400 (or thereabouts)?

Best wishes!

Dien

P.S. The Chattel Report gives some answers...!

Well, a few things. But to make it happen daily, we look to Don Alm. You may remember I got involved in Don's daily specials menu board, and evolved the idea to putting my ads on the board with liquid nails, so I could change them easily, and therefore offer a quarterly rate to test the board.

Have you been to a restaurant recently and did you see a daily specials board of any kind? If so, did it have any ads on it? If not, maybe they would be interested in one, eh?

Back then, mine were heavy wooden things, and had two separate boards based on Don's model. Today, these things would probably be too heavy but the idea of an Erasable board, and daily specials can be found in many places including restaurants.

I was paying a few hundred bux for my boards, but getting many times that from the ads which went on them.

Now get this, and Dien, if you want to skype soon, I'll show you proof of:

TODAY, right now, I could spend less than 100 dollars, give a daily special board away for FREE to __________ (any number of businesses), and using the old shoe leather Don approach, sit with the owner getting the FREE board, and get 3 to 4 advertisers on it by noon. 350 an ad, less than a buck a day, to have your ad seen by hundreds of eyeballs a week for a whole year, and with an EITHER YOU OR YOUR COMPETITIOR attitude (Pure Don Alm), almost anyone could collect 1400 bux (four ads) and in TODAY'S case, walk away with a half of day's work to do, and a profit of 1300 NOT the measly nine we made in the old days.

Just one example.

So, I ask a simple question...have businesses today totally quit advertising or are there a few who still feel the need to get their name out to the people...if you have a few in your area, and a restaurant or other busy traffic center, all you would have to do is offer something for FREE in exchange for the names of their plumber, insurance man, dentist, chiro, barber, auto guy, etc.,

STOP them at 4, you're done for the day, go finish the board and play a round of golf, unless you want to make more, then go to the next restaurant/place down the street and REPEAT.

Just one example.

Are you sure you want to pass on the new MLM, all you need is two people who know two people who know two people who...

ah, never mind.

Gordon

BenjaminS December 8, 2018 06:52 PM

Re: Would you invest 500 bux if you could make 900 profit in a day?

1 Attachment(s)
I have made a sample board and will be giving this a try Monday.

GordonJ December 9, 2018 11:22 AM

Is that white board melamine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminS (Post 39461)
I have made a sample board and will be giving this a try Monday.

Great. Good luck to you. Did you make that board? Does it have a stand, or is for a wall only?

Give it a go, let us know how you do, OK?

Good on you for taking some action.

Gordon

BenjaminS December 9, 2018 01:53 PM

Re: Is that white board melamine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39462)
Great. Good luck to you. Did you make that board? Does it have a stand, or is for a wall only?

Give it a go, let us know how you do, OK?

Good on you for taking some action.

Gordon

Yes, its a $10 2'x4' whiteboard from Home Depot. I bought 2 8' sticks of molding and stained them. Then used Gorilla Clear Stick Adhesive and they are finishing drying now. Altogether cost around $50 but there was less expensive molding if someone was on a budget. The only tools I needed was a paint brush and a mitre saw box which cost less than $15 combined. Really easy to do and inexpensive.

Originally, I was thinking of it being hung on the wall but the more places I look at offering it to, i'm realizing a stand maybe a good option to have and am looking into them today.

After taking the picture to upload here, I am thinking that if I flipped it sideways from my original plan and have the 4' be vertical, it will take up less space as some places I was having a hard time seeing where I could put something 4' without it being in the way.

I was also considering using magnetic boards going forward and just having the ads printed on magnets to make switching them convenient. Do you have an opinion on that?

Thanks and I'll definitely be back with an update on Monday.

GordonJ December 10, 2018 09:24 PM

So, how'd it go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminS (Post 39464)
Yes, its a $10 2'x4' whiteboard from Home Depot. I bought 2 8' sticks of molding and stained them. Then used Gorilla Clear Stick Adhesive and they are finishing drying now. Altogether cost around $50 but there was less expensive molding if someone was on a budget. The only tools I needed was a paint brush and a mitre saw box which cost less than $15 combined. Really easy to do and inexpensive.

Originally, I was thinking of it being hung on the wall but the more places I look at offering it to, i'm realizing a stand maybe a good option to have and am looking into them today.

After taking the picture to upload here, I am thinking that if I flipped it sideways from my original plan and have the 4' be vertical, it will take up less space as some places I was having a hard time seeing where I could put something 4' without it being in the way.

I was also considering using magnetic boards going forward and just having the ads printed on magnets to make switching them convenient. Do you have an opinion on that?

Thanks and I'll definitely be back with an update on Monday.

My opinion on magnets, I wouldn't use them, anything that can be easily removed will be, kids and idiots will walk off with them. Another ad just pu over top of it would work, cut to size, liquid nail it on. I think 4 x 4 is too big for most places. I think either an easel or on a wall if there is one. Depends on place and if neither of those, maybe hung from the ceiling, but it can't be heavy to do that.

What did you encounter or learn your first day on the job?

Gordon

BenjaminS December 11, 2018 03:21 PM

Re: So, how'd it go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39465)
My opinion on magnets, I wouldn't use them, anything that can be easily removed will be, kids and idiots will walk off with them. Another ad just pu over top of it would work, cut to size, liquid nail it on. I think 4 x 4 is too big for most places. I think either an easel or on a wall if there is one. Depends on place and if neither of those, maybe hung from the ceiling, but it can't be heavy to do that.

What did you encounter or learn your first day on the job?

Gordon

I have found that going to random places, it is still difficult to find owners in. I have a meeting set up with an owner of a restaurant with 3 locations tomorrow and their specials have been hanging on the window for so long that they have prices crossed out and written over. I also have mentioned what I'm doing to friends and someone has a cousin that owns a barbershop and a separate one that owns a small restaurant and have meetings set up with them for Thursday and Friday.

The couple of places that I found a decision maker that turned me down, they said that it looked nice, one restaurant already had a glow in the dark sign, and a dry cleaners just didn't have the room for it.

GordonJ December 11, 2018 08:33 PM

Good for you getting out and seeing people. Now, you just

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminS (Post 39470)
I have found that going to random places, it is still difficult to find owners in. I have a meeting set up with an owner of a restaurant with 3 locations tomorrow and their specials have been hanging on the window for so long that they have prices crossed out and written over. I also have mentioned what I'm doing to friends and someone has a cousin that owns a barbershop and a separate one that owns a small restaurant and have meetings set up with them for Thursday and Friday.

The couple of places that I found a decision maker that turned me down, they said that it looked nice, one restaurant already had a glow in the dark sign, and a dry cleaners just didn't have the room for it.

...to GRIND away. Good luck, keep at it, keep us posted. We have a lot of experience with this, so we may have an answer or two along the way.

Gordon

BenjaminS December 12, 2018 03:48 PM

Re: Good for you getting out and seeing people. Now, you just

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39471)
...to GRIND away. Good luck, keep at it, keep us posted. We have a lot of experience with this, so we may have an answer or two along the way.

Gordon

I got the green light to put up my board at the restaurant but he wasn't much for leads. I did get his insurance guys card but that's all he had. There were a few business cards there from people that do hair and lawn care so I'll get in touch with those people too. I'm at my main job until 7 pm so I'm not going to be able to start selling until tomorrow morning but so far so good. I have somewhere to put my board and am excited to get out there and sell some ads.