SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How would you tackle this project (Careful, quite long) (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5773)

ggilman October 28, 2008 01:25 AM

How would you tackle this project (Careful, quite long)

Dear Fellow Sowpubbers,

I have been lurking here for many months, and have watched many good ideas get discussed and blossom in to businesses. Now I need your help.

I have always wanted to write and since I am going to have more free time in the very near future, I am going to start writing articles about energy conservation in the home. I am not going to just write about it, I am actually going to perform all these projects on my own house. I believe that this will provide a "hands on" experience that I feel is missing in some projects.

I am working on a "common man" approach to energy savings in the home. I know there is probably a lot written about the subject but I would like to approach it from a slightly different angle and that's where I need your input.

I was considering an ebook with free updates as needed. But then I thought of a different approach. Why not a weekly newsletter that takes one project, breaks it down into simple, easy to do lessons (with pictures). This would be available by subscription only at a fairly modest price ($5-$20 per month per subscription) downloadable for printing as a .pdf file.

Now here is just some of the areas that I need input on:

Should I do text with pictures of the project or should I do text with a link to an online video of "how to" do each project?.

Should this be delivered as an email attachment (like with constant contact) or should it be a link sent to an online storage space on a server?

Should I stay away from affiliate links in the projects or should I just let them go to local hardware or big box stores?

Price Point? Should I charge more or less? or is it about right?

I was also considering a back end of all the projects available on cd for 2 different price points. One for subscribers and one for non subscribers.

I plan on providing people with all the information on where to purchase the items needed for each project and the approximate cost of each project. I know that there will be a lot of deviation in price depending on where you live and shop. I only provide pricing as an approximate so that people could "budget" and know the costs before going into each project

I have a lot of experience in the building and machinery maintenance fields so I have a wide variety of experience to draw from. I also believe I am knowledgeable enough to provide accurate and timely information.

Six to eight times during the projects I will be calling on professional builders plumbers, heating techs, electricians and other specialized people to provide "guest projects" that will have the same type of "do it yourself" help as what I will be providing. (or at least tell them when they can do it themselves and when they should hire a pro)

The other thing that I believe that I have going for me is that I am doing all these projects as I go along. That way if there are pitfalls or problems I can either correct them or warn of them if they cannot be corrected.

I will be working on my own house. This is a much older house that has many problems and challenges that are not provided in new houses but still need to be done. (Main house built late 1800's, last addition put on in 1960's)

Please forgive me for this long post but I wanted to give you as much information as a could so that you folks could really give me some good feedback.

I look forward to see what ideas you all have. If you prefer not to post here and would like to private email me fee free to do so @ whatigot4sale at yahoo.com.

Thank you all very much ahead of time for your time and talents in this project.

Sincerely,

Gary Gilman

GordonJ October 28, 2008 09:28 AM

OK Gary, here's some advice for you.

Gary,

IF I were in your shoes, here's what I'd do.
#1- Go to www.bmyers.com and sign up, for the year if you can, but if not, become a month by month member, it's 10 bux a month.

#2 Spend a week and go through Bill's archives, especially read the articles about 'complicated' projects vs. simple ones. (He's got a series posted called "Your $300,000.00 a Year Business Plan" -- a Great place for you to start).

You are putting your cart in front of your horse. Why not get started and VIDEO everything you do? Do a month. What is your goal (save energy) and how you plan to do it.

Then DO IT. And video everything you do, save all receipts, show how much time and what tools are needed. DO this for a month BEFORE you start planning or choosing a Product to market.

During this month, join all the DIY (Do It yourself) forums and home repair, and remodeling and energy saving forums and web sites you can find. See how they are doing things.

You need to learn about your market first. Who will you be selling your products to? Joe Everyman is NO ONE. Now Joe the Plumber, that's a target market.

No one thinks of themselves as the "common man". And especially the DIY crowd. So you have to carefully choose your market and find out who is best suited. Off the top of my head, I'd bet you'd find single women home owners to be a very good market. AND they are already being served by several women DIY types too.

You need some proof, so it may be through the Winter, where you show and compare your gas/electric bills from a year ago (the before) with your new savings (the after)...and all caught on VIDEO too.

Gary, you say you've always wanted to write, but committing to a newsletter is not a good idea, at this time. Maybe an ezine a couple of times a month, or best, an autoresponder series. I don't think you're ready for that yet based on what you posted.

By using VIDEO, from start to finish and narration, you can create several products once you get started.

Spend the next MONTH setting things up, you are too focused on the PRODUCT end, and all those questions you ask will be answered as you DO IT. Since you are going to do it anyhow, start with a video of the house, your plans, your "blueprint" and then get started. Get a month or two of projects done and captured, then you can set up your web site and figure out how best to develop your products based on what your MARKET wants and is willing to pay for.

It sounds like a good idea, and could be a winner, but you have to lay out a plan of action and then follow it. Go read the Bill Myers archives about starting projects like this, it is worth many times the cost of the membership.

www.bmyers.com

Gordon Jay Alexander

Phil October 29, 2008 12:27 AM

Re: OK Gary, here's some advice for you.

Hi Gary,

Once you follow through with Gordon's advice...

Spend some time researching and studying on what other people of like minded interests are into business wise and personally...

Definitely get into photo/video and content blogging your whole project from start to finish adding and spinning business ideas as you move along with things...

Get involved in particular Housing, renovation and social networks etc... Learn from people that are involved in the same type of related niches and ideas...

Find the winning concepts... And duplicate the overall idea(s), with a few little “twists”of your own and you're on your way...

Here's a few Great concepts & resources to start out with.. Many more in Google worth checking out...
http://www.houseblogs.net/
http://www.houseblogs.net/about
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/
http://www.oldhouses.com/old-house-r...on-stories.htm
http://www.askthebuilder.com/

Go as Green as possible! Excellent Green resource... Think Green ideas that are re-workable into all kinds of Creative business opportunities... ;)
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/g...building/7656/

Best of luck and let us know how everything goes...

Phil

youbetcha1018 November 6, 2008 01:42 PM

Re: OK Gary, here's some advice for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 22857)
Gary,

IF I were in your shoes, here's what I'd do.
#1- Go to www.bmyers.com and sign up, for the year if you can, but if not, become a month by month member, it's 10 bux a month.

#2 Spend a week and go through Bill's archives, especially read the articles about 'complicated' projects vs. simple ones. (He's got a series posted called "Your $300,000.00 a Year Business Plan" -- a Great place for you to start).

You are putting your cart in front of your horse. Why not get started and VIDEO everything you do? Do a month. What is your goal (save energy) and how you plan to do it.

Then DO IT. And video everything you do, save all receipts, show how much time and what tools are needed. DO this for a month BEFORE you start planning or choosing a Product to market.

During this month, join all the DIY (Do It yourself) forums and home repair, and remodeling and energy saving forums and web sites you can find. See how they are doing things.

You need to learn about your market first. Who will you be selling your products to? Joe Everyman is NO ONE. Now Joe the Plumber, that's a target market.

No one thinks of themselves as the "common man". And especially the DIY crowd. So you have to carefully choose your market and find out who is best suited. Off the top of my head, I'd bet you'd find single women home owners to be a very good market. AND they are already being served by several women DIY types too.

You need some proof, so it may be through the Winter, where you show and compare your gas/electric bills from a year ago (the before) with your new savings (the after)...and all caught on VIDEO too.

Gary, you say you've always wanted to write, but committing to a newsletter is not a good idea, at this time. Maybe an ezine a couple of times a month, or best, an autoresponder series. I don't think you're ready for that yet based on what you posted.

By using VIDEO, from start to finish and narration, you can create several products once you get started.

Spend the next MONTH setting things up, you are too focused on the PRODUCT end, and all those questions you ask will be answered as you DO IT. Since you are going to do it anyhow, start with a video of the house, your plans, your "blueprint" and then get started. Get a month or two of projects done and captured, then you can set up your web site and figure out how best to develop your products based on what your MARKET wants and is willing to pay for.

It sounds like a good idea, and could be a winner, but you have to lay out a plan of action and then follow it. Go read the Bill Myers archives about starting projects like this, it is worth many times the cost of the membership.

www.bmyers.com

Gordon Jay Alexander

This is a nice tip. Very helpful info indeed.:)

GordonJ November 6, 2008 02:20 PM

Some USEFUL advice for new people.

Please read the rules, and then the sticky post. Do NOT post Me TOO type of posts. They will be deleted.

ME too? Those are short little posts that do not add to the discussion, simply agreeing or whatever with the post. If you don't have something to add to the discussion, please refrain, OK?

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I posted this under an example of a ME TOO type post, so now you know.

Phil November 8, 2008 06:29 AM

Re: Some USEFUL advice for new people & old people too...

This cool video was posted on another forum. Not exactly custom made for Sowpubs But maybe one of these days a few more people will start talking & posting again for a little fun and break in their day... :)

Have a Good laugh anyways... It's definitely Great for your health... ;)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/197209...ve_on_a_forum/

Phil

GordonJ November 8, 2008 09:24 AM

Excellent advice Phil, thanks for the link.

Phil[/quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 22973)
This cool video was posted on another forum. Not exactly custom made for Sowpubs But maybe one of these days a few more people will start talking & posting again for a little fun and break in their day... :)
Have a Good laugh anyways... It's definitely Great for your health... ;)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/197209...ve_on_a_forum/
Phil

Thanks as always, the video was spot on.

I've noticed all the forums are a bit sluggish, or totally uninteresting at this point, I perceive it to be for a couple of reasons:

1) The forum owners are actually busy and trying to run their businesses...as is the case with Dien and myself right now. OR

2) The forum owners are dead.

What else could it be?

ALSO, there is (in my case anyhow) a "let someone else answer this one, I've already answered it a 1000 times" and it goes to one of the down sides of all forums...the newbie who doesn't even bother to do the slightest bit of research, can't even google anything and wants the magic bullet given to them for free and right NOW.

PLUS, the politics of the last, what 24 MONTHS, and slogging through all the opinions and rhetoric...is/has been draining.

Opinions and rhetoric are welcome...to a point...when you get the same guy chest thumping and being obnoxious week after week, it runs people away from the forum...and wears the admin and mods down.

That's how I'm feeling anyhow. Right now, I prefer to work with people who are actually serious about DOING something...and these are fewer and further between to be found in the many forums. As Granny used to say, "If I want your opinion, I'll ask for it." And she never asked. HA!

Gordon

jamespeterson December 18, 2021 03:35 AM

Re: How would you tackle this project (Careful, quite long)

I have been in this industry for a few years and I can tell that this is a great idea. People always like to see practical before performing everything.

I would suggest you create a detailed article with pictures in it. And a complete video at the end of each article (make a youtube channel).

An email attachment is not a good idea. Provide the information there and then make it easy for the readers. Checking the email and opening the details is nothing but just an extra step.

Now if you are doing this much and given the idea about where to buy the stuff from. I think you should definitely insert affiliate links in your articles.

And I think the price you are offering it for is just okay. Good luck

GordonJ December 19, 2021 02:01 PM

After 13 years, your advice is probably falling on deaf ears.

New members.

DON'T do this.

DON'T find an old post or thread and add to it, and 13 years is a very old post. I don't know what happened to Gary Gilman and his idea. In the last 13 years so many NEW technologies, new platforms and the rise of social media have taken over the Internet.

We're happy you want to participate, but there are plenty of current threads or posts you can respond too, honestly, this should be deleted. But it hasn't happened so far, so maybe you can be an example of what NOT to do, OK?

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespeterson (Post 42543)
I have been in this industry for a few years and I can tell that this is a great idea. People always like to see practical before performing everything.

I would suggest you create a detailed article with pictures in it. And a complete video at the end of each article (make a youtube channel).

An email attachment is not a good idea. Provide the information there and then make it easy for the readers. Checking the email and opening the details is nothing but just an extra step.

Now if you are doing this much and given the idea about where to buy the stuff from. I think you should definitely insert affiliate links in your articles.

And I think the price you are offering it for is just okay. Good luck