SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is anyone here currently doing direct mail? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7636)

Mitchell September 8, 2011 12:03 AM

Is anyone here currently doing direct mail?

I'm working on a biz opp right now. Thinking about testing a magalog, but my 8pager is doing alright for the time being.

I'm looking to network/mastermind with anyone that is actually mailing letters and not just talking about it.

So, is anyone here actually involved in direct mail right now?

Mitchell

ThePromotionalGuy.com September 8, 2011 06:32 PM

Re: Is anyone here currently doing direct mail?

I have been doing direct mail since 2004 with great results. However, targeting the right list or the right demographic is critical.

Go to www.3DMailResults.com and buy Travis's Deluxe 3D Mailer Kit. I own it and it is a great marketing course and the pre-written letters are extremely worth the price.

Dan Kennedy in his book "The Ultimate Sales Letter" the 4th Edition, mentions Travis and his company and the Kennedy-Glazer company uses his services.

Also one of his marketing ideas with a bank bag was mentioned on CNBC here is the link to the video As Seen on CNBC's On The Money with Carmon Wong Ulrich. You will have to watch through the video where they mention using a bank bag when sending out resumes.

Peace and Success to you

ThePromotionalGuy.com September 16, 2011 01:18 AM

Yo Mitch - Here is one of my direct mailers

Greetings Mitch,

I’m back with a letter I penned for my wife’s cleaning business, (ok I own the business but she runs it for me so I can practice marketing it for her). Great practice using direct mail in her business.

I purchased a mailing list targeting only new home owners in up scale areas of Tallahassee, that have purchased a home in the past 120 days. The list is only 250 names and I purchased a multi-use license so I can send out a 3 letter campaign over the course of 6-8 weeks.

As you will notice in the headline I personalized it and use an image to get the readers attention. Now instead of an image one could use some type of promotional item either with or without imprint, but it does have to be apart of the headline hook.

Also take notice that I sprinkle the prospect’s name throughout the letter even right to the very end. If you did not know, a person’s name is the most important personal asset every one values the most. If you doubt me, mispronounce your client’s name in front of them and watch their reaction.

In any event for those of you looking into consultanting consider doing a Joint Venture with someone you know that has a business. If you do it pro bono you can get some good practice learning how to put sales letters together and testing your mailings. Your JV partner would only need to provide you with the names and addresses, pay for stationary, stamps and if they want a promotional item to go in the mailer.

This experience will also show you how to help other businesses by what you did for another business and what their ROI was on your direct mailers.

By all means you can swipe my letter and tweak it to fit your requirements.

Cleaning Leads Letter

Peace and Success to you

Woodrow L. Quinones
Business Growth & Marketing Consultant
ASI Member #301505
www.ThePromotionalGuy.com
www.MyLittleWhiteMug.com
400 Capital Circle SE
Suite 18236
Tallahassee, FL 32301
(850) 508-8988

"When You're Not Seen, You Don't Exist"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments, if any, is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(s) named within the message. This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and immediately delete it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message or disclose its contents to anybody else and to do so might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Copyright and any other intellectual property rights contained herein are the sole property of the sender. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.

-TW September 18, 2011 06:00 AM

Hi WQ...

Question about the typeface you used on the letter (unless it's just my viewer). The lower case "i" seems to be not tall enough, and the lower case "w" + "v" seems to not reach/touch the line at the bottom (they float above it). Overall, this makes the letter very hard to read (flow). The eye keeps "saying," HUH?!?, every so often (visually).

Also, maybe I'm not the right audience for this (my socio-economic status), but I'm really not quite sure what a "cleaning audit" is.

Also, would you let me write a "challenger" to your control? Just for kicks.

PM me.

-- TW

ThePromotionalGuy.com September 18, 2011 01:46 PM

Hey TW,

It's probably the viewer you're using. However, these are salesletters I sent out back in April.

Below are my results from this one letter campaign I did for my wife back in April.

I sent the letter out to 250 targeted prospects like a mentioned above. This particular letter brought in 37 phone inquiries and 3 email inquiries. (Yeah I track my results like a zealot)

My wife and son went out on 21 cleaning audits and 14 she was able to close. Of the 14 she closed, 9 were just one time cleanings taking advantage of the gift certificate and 6 she was able to sign on for twice a month cleanings on a regular 2 week rotation. Her and my son got a surge of business.

My total investment which included the mailing list, multi-use license, stationary, stamps and envelopes was just below $300.

My wife and son did $4158 in new business from the first letter. This doesn't include the clients that signed on for repeat business, but I'm estimating that each will bring in about $300-$400 a month. So that would be right around an additional $1800-$2400 a month.

For those who did not respond to the first letter I sent out a 2nd letter just too those prospects, 2 - 3 weeks later. If they still won't respond then a third letter is sent out 2 - 3 weeks later reminding them of the first 2 letters and that this letter is the last time they will hear from us.

The second letter pulled in 11 phone inquiries but no email inquiries. Of those 11 my wife closed 3 but each signed on for once a month cleaning. These three clients will be an additional $900 a month.

The third letter pulled in 5 inquiries but no commitments.

So from my $300 investment my ROI is estimated at around $6858 in new business for my wife and son.

Bear in mind, I run these campaigns to test and measure how they pull. I believe that it will make me a better marketing consultant. Owning a business that I don’t have to work in but use to test marketing strategies to see if I can generate business for the cleaning company will only assist me down the road with other business owners.

I sent out a second series of letters to a different mail list but this time the letter was tweaked and I added a premium in with the letter. This letter also pulled in some impressive numbers and a ton of more business for my wife and son.

Here is the tweaked version. Cleaning Letter 2

Not knowing what a cleaning audit is, is OK. It's not a socio-anything. It's marketing that works. Those who want their houses cleaned seem to get it. Our results have proved it time and time again so we stick with what works.

If you want to write a challenge for my control go ahead. By all means swipe both letters and tweak them for your use. That's why I placed them here so others can learn and implement.

Peace and Success to you

Quote:

Originally Posted by -TW (Post 29132)
Hi WQ...

Question about the typeface you used on the letter (unless it's just my viewer). The lower case "i" seems to be not tall enough, and the lower case "w" + "v" seems to not reach/touch the line at the bottom (they float above it). Overall, this makes the letter very hard to read (flow). The eye keeps "saying," HUH?!?, every so often (visually).

Also, maybe I'm not the right audience for this (my socio-economic status), but I'm really not quite sure what a "cleaning audit" is.

Also, would you let me write a "challenger" to your control? Just for kicks.

PM me.

-- TW

-TW September 19, 2011 03:16 AM

Wow -- those results are great!

Thanks for sharing the inside info + stats. It's always interesting to see.

-- TW

Ankesh September 20, 2011 01:22 AM

Re: Yo Mitch - Here is one of my direct mailers

Thanks Woody for sharing your numbers and helping others.

Good swiping of opening from Gary Halbert. I use that opening style a lot too. It works.

Not sure why you didn't continue the mailing campaign when the results were so awesome. Or are you planning to run it only once every 120 days or once a year or something?

Are you planning to test the offer against different mailing lists too - besides new home owners?

Also, am I right to assume that the enclosed gift certificate had unique codes on it - that you used for tracking which letter pulled in how many leads?