SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW newsletter, once or twice a week? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9639)

GordonJ September 21, 2016 10:59 AM

NEW newsletter, once or twice a week?

OK.

New newsletter. Fly-Low--Collect Dough UPDATE HOTLINE

Once or twice a week? Your thoughts?

Trying some new things here, mine is a new email newsletter. Short, pithy with a Q and A. MY thoughts are once a week isn't enough, 3 a week is too much...does that make 2 a good idea?

I'm thinking Tuesdays and Saturdays. A combo of seasoned ideas from SowPub/GJA along with fresh content, targeted toward my

FLY LOW AND COLLECT THE DOUGH CROWD.

Do you want on the list?

GordonJ

sandalwood September 21, 2016 11:42 AM

Re: NEW newsletter, once or twice a week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 37152)
OK.

Trying some new things here, mine is a new email newsletter. Short, pithy with a Q and A. MY thoughts are once a week isn't enough, 3 a week is too much...does that make 2 a good idea?

I'm thinking Tuesdays and Saturdays. A combo of seasoned ideas from SowPub/GJA along with fresh content, targeted toward my

Do you want on the list?

GordonJ

I would assume the length of the NLs would be a determining factor as well. It seems to me having to produce a 3 pager versus a 1 pager (length of content) would veto the three days and probably the 2 days per week schedule. That would mean 1 day a week by default, right?

Of course, if you go to 2 days, that might be right for the audience but what about you? Writing a frequent NL sounds like a pleasant doable project but when it starts eating your time and energy it becomes a PITA.

Just my thoughts before I vote for the 2 day presentation.

ron lafuddy September 21, 2016 02:17 PM

Why not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 37152)
OK.

Do you want on the list?

GordonJ

I think the newsletter is a great idea!

Over the last 24 mos or so, I've tried out a simple concept with pretty good success. My plan was to start a new "fly low" type of business every 60 days and train someone else to run the day to day.

This is working out well.

I lay out the gameplan and put the marketing in place. I put up the upfront money for whatever is needed. This gets real interesting when you add barter/trading into the mix.

Anyway, I've found that existing businesses are interested in some of the "add on" things I've come up with. This has given me access to cash, a location, inventory, existing marketing and an existing customer base.

It's fascinating what you can negotiate for...from just an idea. It's like printing money, without the risk.

There's nothing new to any of this, just my particular approach.

As we head into the whirlwind that is coming, I expect the "fly low generation" to be a large part of it.

It will be here sooner than you think.

Ron

ernie September 21, 2016 07:00 PM

I want on the list i really dont care if its one time or 2 i just like reading and learning fly low collect the dough stuff

Fishman September 23, 2016 01:03 AM

I'm all for that newsletter Gordon! Here's the latest "news" on my Fly Low Collect The Dough situation...After talking with my wife about her BOOK find...I gave her a few tips...suggestions...and what not...(thanks to you showing me how to "ASK" the right questions) and low and behold...she is meeting soon with a possible "buyer"...a true bibliomaniac...also...turns out the book find was originally owned by a well known book dealer/bibliomaniac from the Fullerton Ca. area...well connected man...so well...she found his personal invite to Bill Clinton's inaugural address...she is super excited...Her "buyer" takes trips from Portland Or. to LA. all the time to visit friends...and Book Scout for books...said he would love to meet up and take a look at the lot...good stuff...Thanks for your help. Here's a link to The New Yorker article of her buyer... http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...ool-book-scout ...She read the article...found him on FB...got his number...gave him a call! Worked out good that we are "transplants" from Oregon...I used to frequent Powell's Book Store all the time...also one of HIS favorite book haunts...;)

GordonJ September 23, 2016 07:55 AM

Review the Sprint to Freedom RE: circulation vs storage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishman (Post 37163)
I'm all for that newsletter Gordon! Here's the latest "news" on my Fly Low Collect The Dough situation...After talking with my wife about her BOOK find...I gave her a few tips...suggestions...and what not...(thanks to you showing me how to "ASK" the right questions) and low and behold...she is meeting soon with a possible "buyer"...a true bibliomaniac...also...turns out the book find was originally owned by a well known book dealer/bibliomaniac from the Fullerton Ca. area...well connected man...so well...she found his personal invite to Bill Clinton's inaugural address...she is super excited...Her "buyer" takes trips from Portland Or. to LA. all the time to visit friends...and Book Scout for books...said he would love to meet up and take a look at the lot...good stuff...Thanks for your help. Here's a link to The New Yorker article of her buyer... http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...ool-book-scout ...She read the article...found him on FB...got his number...gave him a call! Worked out good that we are "transplants" from Oregon...I used to frequent Powell's Book Store all the time...also one of HIS favorite book haunts...;)

Until a transaction, you have STORED VALUE.
Once that is converted....

BE thrifty, frugal and and try to get both of you in a "make it grow" mode.

Easy to spend windfalls of any kind, size or shape. Harder to reinvest, but more profitable in the long run.

And that is just ONE niche, keep ordinary, everyday, steady-stream stuff in mind too. Hidden treasures are harder to find, but don't jump over the quarters to get to the dollar bill, eh?

Gordon

TommyBoy September 23, 2016 11:13 AM

Count me in, Gordon.

Three a week would be too many. 1-2 is fine. I lean towards fewer emails.

Bigmack September 23, 2016 01:53 PM

Gordon, count me in. Twice a week would be great.

Mack

Fishman September 23, 2016 02:45 PM

Re: Review the Sprint to Freedom RE: circulation vs storage.

I hear you on the "Stored Value"...I didn't want to overwhelm her with too much "info"...(already been down that road before ;) ) Keeping her motivated...and "thinking" of the "next" step only...we've already briefly talked about reinvestment/circulation as it applies to our "SPIDOG"...thanks Gordon...oh yeah...as far as the Newsletter...1-2 would be perfect for me as well. Hope you roll out with it.