SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some research into COACHING, consulting, and conferences. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10491)

GordonJ September 12, 2019 09:21 AM

Some research into COACHING, consulting, and conferences.

Coaching has EX p l o d e d in the last few years. So, I took an in depth look at it. YIKES. And in a minute, some food for thought, if you're hungry enough.

I want to be a coach. What are my options, and I want to make big bux doing it. How?

ActionCoach has 1000 offices in 26 countries. Big guys. 50 to 100 thousand dollars franchise fee, ongoing fees.

A side note on this one. ActionInternational, the original version, sold master franchises. Here in NEO, the Master sold 7 franchises. Six of those were closed in two years or less. That's food for thought. When things fail, change your name, be the Phoenix and rise from the ashes, (works more often than we think about).

50 grand out of your wallet range? Try

The GrowthCoach, slightly cheaper at 40 to 80 thou.

Still a gag?

The Entrepreneur's Source, at 45 thousand.

AdviCoach, offers CERTIFICATION, sister co. to Entrepreneur's Source. 45k

The Alternative Board, TAB certified business coaches, fees start 44k

Focal Point, from Bryan Tracy, lets you work from home, also 45K

One of the hottest, fast growing coaching businessess EOS (Entrepreneur Operation Systems), from Gino Wickman. A certified implementer will set you out about 30k.

Now all of the above have ongoing fees, royalties and overhead/expenses.

Now they also come with tested and proven marketing plans and all have some demonstrated success in helping small businesses grow. But it can be an expensive way to "buy a job", which is what it looks like to me.

Or, there is the low cost entry way:

69.95 https://www.expertrating.com/certifi...tification.asp

Quick and easy, with a nice CERTIFICATE too.

There are at least a dozen such programs, which can turn you into a CERTIFIED Coach of something or other. Old timers might recall I wrote about starting your own Certification program almost 17 years ago. Why don't you listen????

And this is only about BUSINESS coaches. Then there are the LIFE COACHES. People with the desire to tell other people how to live their lives. (Or is that too cynical for you?)

Well, again, a paltry 69.95 and VOILA you're a Certified Life Coach...
https://www.expertrating.com/certifi...tification.asp

Or only 275
https://www.lifecoachcertification.com/

Spend $100,000.00 to get your Certificate or 69.95.

Now here is what all have in common. Like most of these Business opportunities, it is not buy it and profit. NOT build it and they will come.

All, EVERY single one of them, requires customer acquisition, finding people to buy your coaching. And the more you charge, the more SELLING you will be doing. At the top levels, you have MEETINGS.
And call them evaluations, or do we fit meetings, free consults, they are in fact, SALES meetings.

If you can't close a sale, somehow, someway, Coaching may not be for you.

Why all this research into Coaching? Am I going to start it? Well, not exactly.

But I am (finally) going to give the GJA-SQ1 a test run.

But it isn't coaching, but more of a training. One BIG difference between all of the above, every single offer to turn you into a coach, calls for you to learn, use, apply and replicate THEIR SYSTEM, their methods, their process.

And maybe it works for small business, to get systems in place, a cookie cutter, same here as there approach might work (if the business commits to it)...but when you take that

ONE SIZE FITS ALL, Off OUR rack, do it this way type of training, it falls apart at the one person level,

And that is the GJA-SQ1 advantage. CUSTOMIZED, one of a kind training comes from using the tools of the SQ1, as it is done by the individual.

So, how much should my GJA-SQ1 CERTIFICATION cost? And as a money making opportunity, where would it fit on the spectrum of investing in your business of between 69.95 and 140,000 thousand dollars?

Just wondering.

Any coaches out there? Care to comment?

Gordon

Dien Rice September 12, 2019 03:41 PM

Re: Some research into COACHING, consulting, and conferences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40167)
Why all this research into Coaching? Am I going to start it? Well, not exactly.

But I am (finally) going to give the GJA-SQ1 a test run.

But it isn't coaching, but more of a training. One BIG difference between all of the above, every single offer to turn you into a coach, calls for you to learn, use, apply and replicate THEIR SYSTEM, their methods, their process.

And maybe it works for small business, to get systems in place, a cookie cutter, same here as there approach might work (if the business commits to it)...but when you take that

ONE SIZE FITS ALL, Off OUR rack, do it this way type of training, it falls apart at the one person level,

And that is the GJA-SQ1 advantage. CUSTOMIZED, one of a kind training comes from using the tools of the SQ1, as it is done by the individual.

So, how much should my GJA-SQ1 CERTIFICATION cost? And as a money making opportunity, where would it fit on the spectrum of investing in your business of between 69.95 and 140,000 thousand dollars?

Just wondering.

Hi Gordon,

I think the way I would look at it as a potential client would be, how much could I make? Obviously, the more I could make, the more it is worth...

Of course, coaches themselves charge a hugely varying amount - and I'm not so familiar with the "standard" rate. However, if people believe they can make $100 an hour, it might be worth a certain amount. If they believe they can make $200 an hour, it might be worth more. Etc.

Just some thoughts off the old noodle... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ September 13, 2019 11:10 AM

Thanks Dien, good noodle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 40168)
Hi Gordon,

I think the way I would look at it as a potential client would be, how much could I make? Obviously, the more I could make, the more it is worth...

Of course, coaches themselves charge a hugely varying amount - and I'm not so familiar with the "standard" rate. However, if people believe they can make $100 an hour, it might be worth a certain amount. If they believe they can make $200 an hour, it might be worth more. Etc.

Just some thoughts off the old noodle... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

The 500k a year to over 7 figure consultant, is at 10k a day rate or more.

Some of those Certifications I wrote about have the people in that range, not the 69.95 certificate guys, unless they are Bernie Madoffs (HA)

I like to use 60 to 120 k a year as good goals for a new one man band business, or 5 to 10 thousand a month. $1,250 a week or 250 a day, is a low end goal, in my opinion for a new start-up, a one man band.

500 a day, shouldn't be difficult for a good consultant, since you also follow Colin Theriot, you saw he just this week did 4 one hour phone calls at 300 bux each for a nice 1200 dollar, 4 hour work day.

IF he wanted to lose money, he could probably do that every day, but for a new person to have a service which people will pay for, I think there would be a ready market.

One thing about biz-op, the modified GJA Pareto (I think 90/10 not 80/20) is in full effect. One in ten is going to be the top, and the other 9 will get average results, so it would be important to make it easier for the 9 to get to a decent goal with less than the 10% person's effort.

More on this later.

GJA

Rick September 14, 2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40167)

Just wondering.

Any coaches out there? Care to comment?

Gordon

I know what's in GJA-SQ1 (well, the old version anyway). I know how valuable it is. It's worth waaaay more than $69.95. I think you should charge at least $297 for it and quite possibly as high as $497. Perhaps you could add some videos to it as well.

Rick

Rick September 14, 2019 06:35 AM

Re: Thanks Dien, good noodle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40169)

One thing about biz-op, the modified GJA Pareto (I think 90/10 not 80/20) is in full effect. One in ten is going to be the top, and the other 9 will get average results, so it would be important to make it easier for the 9 to get to a decent goal with less than the 10% person's effort.

More on this later.

GJA

You're right in line with some of the best marketing minds in the world. Perry Marshall and Dan Kennedy say 80/20 is no longer sufficient, that 90/10 is more like it. Perry thinks it might even go as high as 95/5.

Rick

GordonJ September 15, 2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 40170)
I know what's in GJA-SQ1 (well, the old version anyway). I know how valuable it is. It's worth waaaay more than $69.95. I think you should charge at least $297 for it and quite possibly as high as $497. Perhaps you could add some videos to it as well.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

What I'm working on setting up is what Harvey Brody calls a Carefree Repetitive Cycle. Sort of like set it and forget it.

So, AUTOMATIC delivery of the SQ1, along with all the other stuff, is the challenge. I don't want to do anything, at this stage, which has customers or clients involved, done with that.

I'm getting proposals of an automatic Word Press site, which can be a complete funnel, delivery and follow up system, without me being involved. It is challenging.

NO customers. NO clients. NO contact with ME, is kind of a different. albeit, a much written about process, ala Ferriss et al.

Gordon

PS Expanded and defined, Prospect as Product. Targeted ads send to different capture pages, auto responders in place, and once the initial SQ1 is done, by them, automated results and referrals.

GordonJ September 15, 2019 09:44 AM

Wait a minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 40171)
You're right in line with some of the best marketing minds in the world. Perry Marshall and Dan Kennedy say 80/20 is no longer sufficient, that 90/10 is more like it. Perry thinks it might even go as high as 95/5.

Rick

Are you sure they (some of the best marketing minds in the world) aren't finally catching up to ME?

Let's go back 25 years and take a look, eh?

GJABIZ

Rick September 16, 2019 02:14 PM

Re: Wait a minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40175)
Are you sure they (some of the best marketing minds in the world) aren't finally catching up to ME?

Let's go back 25 years and take a look, eh?

GJABIZ

:D

Rick September 16, 2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 40174)
Thanks Rick,

What I'm working on setting up is what Harvey Brody calls a Carefree Repetitive Cycle. Sort of like set it and forget it.

So, AUTOMATIC delivery of the SQ1, along with all the other stuff, is the challenge. I don't want to do anything, at this stage, which has customers or clients involved, done with that.

I'm getting proposals of an automatic Word Press site, which can be a complete funnel, delivery and follow up system, without me being involved. It is challenging.

NO customers. NO clients. NO contact with ME, is kind of a different. albeit, a much written about process, ala Ferriss et al.

Gordon

PS Expanded and defined, Prospect as Product. Targeted ads send to different capture pages, auto responders in place, and once the initial SQ1 is done, by them, automated results and referrals.

I'd still charge more than $69.95 for it, automated or not.

Rick

GordonJ September 16, 2019 03:01 PM

A process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 40180)
I'd still charge more than $69.95 for it, automated or not.

Rick

Both ways work, re: low intro, backends vs. higer ticket.

Tony Robbins built his 100 mil a year biz on the 19.95 books he wrote. It took a while to get people to spend 25k to visit his private isle, or the 10k to jump off poles and walk on hot coals.

But the low cost entry, is a lead generator without going into debt on customer acquisition. A fallacy, or what I believe to be one, is where guys like Ben Suarez would spend 40 bux to get a 200 dollar LTV.

The problem with that is the float. Between Customer Acquisition and profitability could devastate a small biz, not deep enough reserves. Where as a upfront profit, and a base buy, gives a list of buyers, and then you put them into the Pachinko machine.

No reason the old world way, a 69.95 front end, a 297 seminar/workshop or a 995 bigger ticket...and keep going up the ladder.

In Fraternal clubs, it often takes MONEY to go up the ladder to master, etc. Inner secrets of any religion (but I'll pick on Scientology, albeit, not a real religion) to get up to the Tom Cruise and John Travota levels is going to cost a pretty penny and a guaranteed ride on the mothership, is probably more than a 10% tithe too.

LEVELS of competency, in many fields require more training, more classes, more education and that does cost money.

So, maybe a 69.95 GJASQ1 STARTER course, and 49,000 MASTER TRAINER'S license.

Still, just spitballing here.

GJABIZ