SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Comments on RJ's playboy club get together? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4102)

Sandi Bowman June 21, 2007 03:48 PM

Comments on RJ's playboy club get together?

Just wondering if anyone else, male or female, is having some questions raised about the latest from the 'Rich Jerk'? Seems like he's hosting a bachelor type marketing party via the Playboy Club.

Despite being 'invited' several times, I ask you: what woman in her right mind would even consider putting herself in such a situation, assuming it was 'allowed' unless she was bunny type herself? Get real, folks!

This is no more a marketing get together (despite the list of attendees) than it is a kids birthday party...but you can bet our taxes will be increased to pay for all the 'business write-offs' as a result of it.

I most strenuously object to such obvious sexism...charity or not. Just a variation on the 'old boys club' that women who wanted to conduct business had to fight against for years.

I know boys will be boys and that's okay in its place. IMHO it has no place in business.

Sandi Bowman

Phil June 21, 2007 04:48 PM

Re: Comments on RJ's playboy club get together?

Since you got everyone Curious. :)

Easier to offer comments Now...

It's a Fundraiser... ;)
http://richjerkplayboyparty.com/

Phil

Sandi Bowman June 21, 2007 05:16 PM

I believe I mentioned in my post that it was 'for charity', Phil.

I guess the thing that really set me off was NOT John Reese's invitation, which he handled very discreetly and with appropriate disclaimers, but one of the others that had numerous pictures of the 'bunny' gals and so on (and no warnings prior to access). Some were quite inappropriate to have been sent to homes where young children could see them. Since it was a requested list mailing it would not have been caught by filters. I unsubscribed from that one because he obviously lacked common sense and consideration.

Anyway....for what it's worth...charity or fundraiser makes no difference, my basic objection still stands.

Sandi Bowman

Phil June 21, 2007 05:54 PM

Sandi,

I was just trying to lighten things up and get the comments going. :)

But I Agree, some marketers need to take some Lessons from John Reese, Frank Kern and others who know where to draw the line...

I'll just post John Reese's ending to his email (hope that's ok)...

As he shares some Smart comments and an interesting resource that'll add some Value to this discussion...

Phil

BY THE WAY...

My good friend, Michel Fortin, recently forwarded
me the URL to a killer presentation by Guy Kawsaki.

Guy makes a powerful point in his presentation when
he says (just paraphrasing)...

"With your marketing you want to polarize people...
you either want to make them LOVE YOU or
HATE YOU... you don't want people to have
just a neutral feeling."

This is exactly why "The Wealthy Idiot" has
been successful with that controversial approach.

I highly recommend you watch this marketing
presentation. Tons of amazing stuff in it:
http://zentation.com/

Yours For Online Profits,

John Reese

Sandi Bowman June 21, 2007 06:18 PM

Thanks, Phil. I guess I sounded harsher than intended. My apologies.

Agree with the polarizing people, BUT one must do so carefully and diplomatically. I don't believe it is necessary to be unduly offensive to have intelligent differing viewpoints expressed. Rabble rousing just for the sake of rabble rousing is counter-productive.

Sandi Bowman

MichaelRoss June 22, 2007 03:17 AM

Sandi,

Thanks for letting us know.

What this does is, loses my respect for ALL the Testimonial givers. And shows me they have No Class and are just as big a Yobbo as the guy down the pub that drools over the skanky-ho magazines.

And it's no different than hiring a room and having some strippers come over. The fundamentals are still the same. He's just trying to legitimize it by saying it's for charity.

The man could Give me a ticket and pay for my time and airfares and accommodation over there and I still would Not go.

Michael Ross

DBeavers June 23, 2007 03:09 AM

Sandi and Michael,

I agree wholeheartedly. There's no amount of fundraising or business marketing that could be generated that would justify being a part of such an event.

I expect a number of the named attendees will see some dropped memberships/subscriptions to their websites, ezines, opt-in lists, forums, etc.

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.

Cynthia June 23, 2007 09:10 PM

Hello All,

I haven't posted to the site in awhile but I did want to chime in on what Sandi said. I as a woman was taken aback (to say the least) when I got the same email she did that linked to pix of the Playmates in skimpy bikinis - with a guy clearly staring at one's boobs.:eek: I couldn't imagine any business woman being comfortable going to a function like that. I live in Los Angeles & my best friend's husband is a producer for Playboy TV & I know that "business" is not what happens at those affairs. I saw this as just a flimsy excuse for the "Boys" to have a party at Heff's pad. There may be business conducted that weekend, but I doubt it will be at the mansion.

My 2 Cents,
Cynthia

MMacGillivray June 24, 2007 07:22 AM

There you go - I thought that all us gals could

turn up in demure party frocks and embarrass everyone :eek:

A "don't let the b ...s grind you down" sort of moment.

:D

My guess is that the presence of a bevy of entrepreneures of the feminine variety might well put a complete dampener on the event. I just love that thought. The picture makes me chuckle.

... seriously, though, it's a tacky idea and not one that would make me fly over from Scotland.

Sandi Bowman June 24, 2007 09:52 AM

Margaret, your reply made me chuckle.

Can you imagine how UNDER-dressed all those bunnys would feel if we all showed up dressed to the nines in elegant formal wear? LOL...now there's a thought.

Agree...it wouldn't be worth it.

What gets me is...if this is such a big charity fundraiser, why not just donate the money it cost to rent the Playboy Club facilities and forget the rest of the hoopla? That way no one need risk their reputation getting smeared or being subject to possible extortion by someone who doesn't care about a piece of paper called a non-disclosure agreement or the potential consequences.

To paraphrase an old saying:'if you frequent sewers, beware of the rats!'

Sandi Bowman