SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Glitch, Dien.... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19)

Sandi Bowman September 1, 2006 08:57 AM

Glitch, Dien....

I tried to do a post. Had it all done, tried to post it. It came up with a message saying "Sandi Bowman username is already in use. If you are...etc...and forgot your password, click here.' I went up to the top right and filled in to login (I thought I read somewhere you didn't have to login?) and it threw me out of the forum. Just went to a blank page with done in the lower left corner. Think I lost the post when it did that.

Anyway, let's try again. I logged in first this time so we'll see.

Sandi Bowman

Dien Rice September 1, 2006 11:29 AM

Re: Glitch, Dien....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman (Post 34)
I tried to do a post. Had it all done, tried to post it. It came up with a message saying "Sandi Bowman username is already in use. If you are...etc...and forgot your password, click here.' I went up to the top right and filled in to login (I thought I read somewhere you didn't have to login?) and it threw me out of the forum. Just went to a blank page with done in the lower left corner. Think I lost the post when it did that.

Anyway, let's try again. I logged in first this time so we'll see.

Sandi Bowman

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for letting me know about the problem...

The best I can say for now is if that happens, use your browser's "back" button to get back to your post. I know it's not perfect, I'm still working this out...

Hopefully we'll get these glitches ironed out over the next few days...

- Dien

Dien Rice September 2, 2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman (Post 34)

Hi Sandi,

I understand why this glitch happened now...

You can post without being registered or logging in, but the "catch" is if you do so, you can't use the username of a "registered member".

That means, if you want to post under the same name you use as a member, then you have to log in - or alternatively, you have to modify your name slightly to post without logging in (eg. "Sandi Bowman." - the "period" at the end is sufficient to make it different!)

In a way, this is "good" - since no-one can "impersonate" your registered name as long as they don't know your password! On the other hand, it's a little bit of a hassle having to log in if you want to use that name...

My best suggestion right now - if you can't be bothered logging in - just add a "period" (or some other small character) to the end of your name and post that way!

Anyone have any other good suggestions regarding this?

Thanks,

Dien

Sandi Bowman September 2, 2006 11:07 AM

Dien,

I solved the problem by logging in and having it saved (click remember me). Actually, I believe it puts a cookie on my system so it remembers me. The only time I should have to log in would be when I delete all my cookies (which I do occasionally) or when I actually log out, which deletes the cookie.

This is the same way I do things on Phil Wiley's forum and it seems to work well.

Hope this helps.

Sandi Bowman