SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm about to do the unthinkable and get a JOB! (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1655)

Jim Kaiser September 14, 2006 01:41 AM

Re: I'm about to do the unthinkable and get a JOB!

Thanks Sandi.

I hope your son is doing okay.

A longshot, but if he is in AZ, let me know and I can help out.

Neighbor said he'd pound on my door at 4 AM when he goes to work so I'm all set.

Thanks again.

Jim

Gary G September 14, 2006 10:01 AM

I think you should at least try it out. I have worked for the airlines in the USA for 7 years. The pay was never good, but being able to fly where I want when I want was great. I miss it! I was into shift trading, to get a longer span of days off.

The downside to airline work is... no retirement package, most US airlines anyway are in bankruptcy and most positions are hard laborous work.

GG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Kaiser (Post 5308)
I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this and weighing the pros and cons and I've determined that there is a job out there that I REALLY want.

It's an airline job. I really have no desire to do the actual job but the flight benefits that are included seem way too good to pass up.

I'm in a position where my businesses pretty much run themselves without me and I've got lots of free time.

I want to be able to do a lot of traveling to a lot of places that tickets would normally cost 2K round trip for me and my son.

I wouldn't mind working part time if I knew that I would be using thousands of dollars worth of flight benefits every month.

I'm about 5 minutes away from my local airport and one of the big airlines here is having a "job fair' tomorrow and they will be doing interviews and hiring on the spot. I'm 100% confident in my ability to nail any interview for a job that I'm qualified for.

My question here....

I've never had a resume and I guess I need one for this thing. Since I haven't had a real job in nearly 20 years, mine may look a little strange.

Does anyone know of a good resourse online that might help me create a killer resume?

Any input is appreciated.

Jim

Sandi Bowman September 14, 2006 11:22 AM

Thanks for the kind offer, Jim. Much appreciated.

Now, go get that job! Best of everything.

Sandi Bowman

Sandi Bowman September 14, 2006 03:48 PM

Thanks for understanding, Jim. My brain still isn't sharp enough to do a proper job for you or I would've at least tried for you. Can't concentrate very well yet.

Good luck on the interview!

Sandi Bowman

Jim Kaiser September 14, 2006 04:52 PM

WOW - That was an interesting experience and one I learned a bit about myself from.

The first thing I learned is that I'm not half as good in the interview process as I thought I was.

On my own turf and from the other side of the desk, I'm really good.

As the interviewee, I totally botched just about everything this gal asked me. I was really, really bad.

I'm a bit pissed off at myself for that and not going to let it get the best of me. Now it's like a challenge to me. I found something that I suck at and can't wait to try it again to see if I can do it better.

The other thing I learned about myself is just how important these flight benefits are to me.

The only position they had available was a reservations agent. 40 hours a week at $8.21 an hour with a crazy schedule, and I still went through the interview process knowing that.

Honestly, now that I've had time to think about it, I'm really glad that I didn't get the job.

I just wish it had been my choice and not theirs.

Grrrrr

Movin on to the next one.

Jim