SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Halbert may have gotten the idea from a Hayling book (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2286)

Boyd Stone February 16, 2002 02:13 PM

Halbert may have gotten the idea from a Hayling book

Hi,

I mean the idea for the family name crest product.

If anyone wants more info about the statement in my Subject line, don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

- Boyd

Boyd Stone February 16, 2002 02:22 PM

Clarification: I wasn't knocking Halbert's genius

Hi,

The way he wrote that sales letter (over an 18-month period as I understand it) and the way he created to market the product from, essentially, the phone book, were examples of complete genius, and are 1000 light-years beyond my ability.

Best,

- Boyd

Dien Rice February 16, 2002 03:30 PM

The "seeds" from George Haylings have sprouted a few saplings (and at least one giant tree)....

> Hi,

> I mean the idea for the family name crest
> product.

> If anyone wants more info about the
> statement in my Subject line, don't hesitate
> to ask.

Boyd,

I'd love to know more. I'm a big fan of both Gary Halbert and George Haylings....

I have George Haylings "A Lifetime Of Homework" - is it in there or in one of his other works?

I hear that Entrepreneur magazine, when it was started by Chase Revel, was also modeled on George Haylings' newletter of "unusual" Businesses..... And Ron Ruiz also has a newsletter inspired from this model too....

- Dien

Boyd Stone February 16, 2002 06:35 PM

Re: The "seeds" from George Haylings have sprouted a few saplings (and at least one giant tree)....

Hi,

Thanks for asking, you know that makes me think of something: people rarely ask me questions about what I know because I never tell what I'm doing, and therefore people don't tend to believe I know what I'm talking about or something. Constrast me with the type person who constantly brags about his acheivements, most of which aren't verifiable, and gains a huge following--of the two of us, I might turn out to be a more reliable source of info...

I'm doing some cool stuff right now, and I can tell I need to find a way to tell somebody about it, just to keep me on an even keel.

Pardon me for this message, I'm doing the 100 hour a week thing and I'm not used to it yet. Speaking of which, a discussion occurred recently on an "adult" webmaster forum about hours per week. The guy I respect most on the "adult" scene works 120 hours a week, and a female webmaster told how she sleeps four hours a day, taking two 2-hour naps, and the most commonly worked week consisted of 100 hours... "Adult" webmasters make money by building sites and marketing sites and building sites and marketing sites, etc., etc. for all those hours. And that's how we can make money as well.

Back to Halbert and Haylings, I have two Haylings books, and I keep them in a separate building along with backups and irreplaceable books and other stuff, in case our house burns down, and I can't get to my Haylings books right now, but in one of them is a description of a way to make money consisting of making family crests for people to display. Halbert said he got the idea by reading in a "newspaper" about a lady doing it, but maybe he saw it in Haylings's "newsletter" instead--didn't Mr. Haylings publish a newsletter?

Anyway, that's all I got...

Best,

- Boyd

Paul February 16, 2002 10:57 PM

The "seeds" from Boyd Stone...

Hi Boyd,

I for one would be VERY interested in what you are up to these days. I still remember the trickreport site... very cool indeed.

Soooooooo, whaddya up to?

Paul (curious) Short

It's about to explode!!

Boyd Stone February 17, 2002 07:31 AM

Thanks, I'll email you [DNO]

dno

> Hi Boyd,

> I for one would be VERY interested in what
> you are up to these days. I still remember
> the trickreport site... very cool indeed.

> Soooooooo, whaddya up to?

> Paul (curious) Short

Dien Rice February 17, 2002 01:19 PM

18 months to write that little thing?

Hi Boyd,

> The way he wrote that sales letter (over an
> 18-month period as I understand it) and the
> way he created to market the product from,
> essentially, the phone book, were examples
> of complete genius, and are 1000 light-years
> beyond my ability.

I didn't realize Gary Halbert wrote that letter over an 18 month period! I guess even "genius" sometimes takes time....

Thanks for that little tidbit, Boyd! It puts a lot into perspective!

- Dien Rice

Boyd Stone February 17, 2002 04:01 PM

Yep + I find this kind of data fascinating

Hi,

I've got a complete collection of Halbert's Letters, and I remember in one of them he said he spent 18 months perfecting that letter.

(I lent my collection of the Halbert letters to Taylor Trump last year and he was amazingly fast at digesting and returning them.)

I wonder what Halbert's career would have been like if hadn't learnt of the family crest idea? Since Halbert is a multiple home-runner (as opposed to a one-hit Wonder) I know he would still have succeeded hugely.

Best,

- Boyd