SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One for the chattelers: (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9982)

GordonJ September 16, 2017 11:28 AM

One for the chattelers:

https://fleamarketflipper.com/offer-up-purchase/

Turned 50 bux into over 2 grand. Again, NOT rocket science.

Gordon

RickC September 16, 2017 01:47 PM

Re: One for the chattelers:

Rob is unreal! I'm on his email list and enjoy reading about his success. With my children now in college, my wife and I will have more time to go to flea markets and estate sales soon.

One day last May, I was with a co-worker. He just bought a pick-up truck. Just for fun, I logged in to Craigslist, went to look at the free section listings. I found a really nice looking desk being given away, in a upscale part of our County.

I showed him the listing and suggested if we get it and sold it, we would split profits if I could use his truck. He is not computer savy or a people person, so I did the rest. He said, "Go for it"

We did get it. I listed it on three local yard sale sites, in different towns. Sold it within a day for $80.00 dollars. The purchaser met us two miles from where we picked up the desk.

We found three more desks and a china cabinet over the summer, without much effort. Made some decent spending cash. And had fun doing it. I can see people, having time and going to the cities (which we did not do), making a decent living doing something like this. There are tons of things being given away for free that others will pay for.

We joked that we should name the business: Two Ricks and a truck. His name is Rick, too.

Rick

GordonJ September 17, 2017 11:36 AM

One idea for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickC (Post 38564)
Rob is unreal! I'm on his email list and enjoy reading about his success. With my children now in college, my wife and I will have more time to go to flea markets and estate sales soon.

One day last May, I was with a co-worker. He just bought a pick-up truck. Just for fun, I logged in to Craigslist, went to look at the free section listings. I found a really nice looking desk being given away, in a upscale part of our County.

I showed him the listing and suggested if we get it and sold it, we would split profits if I could use his truck. He is not computer savy or a people person, so I did the rest. He said, "Go for it"

We did get it. I listed it on three local yard sale sites, in different towns. Sold it within a day for $80.00 dollars. The purchaser met us two miles from where we picked up the desk.

We found three more desks and a china cabinet over the summer, without much effort. Made some decent spending cash. And had fun doing it. I can see people, having time and going to the cities (which we did not do), making a decent living doing something like this. There are tons of things being given away for free that others will pay for.

We joked that we should name the business: Two Ricks and a truck. His name is Rick, too.

Rick

Two Ricks and a Pickup too. Sweet. Are you guys rural? Like farm rural, or out in the boon docks, or small town? Lots of opportunities out there, making a once a month run to the big city.

Imagine if you parlayed your profits into bigger and bigger deals? You could turn FREE cash into a continuous cashflow.

GOOD job for you doing something, hope it motivates you to keep looking for deals.

Gordon

RickC September 18, 2017 11:30 AM

Re: One for the chattelers:

Gordon, we live in a county of almost 500,000. Only 40 minutes of so from a major city. There are a lot of items in our area, but even more in the city, obviously.

I had a blast doing this. Although I don't really enjoy purchasing guru manuals, the Flee Market Flipper seems to know what he's doing. Having a keen eye and knowledge of what items to buy is a gift.

I plan to keep chatteling. It's fun. You make good money and meet interesting people.

Thanks for posting Rob's blog.

GordonJ September 18, 2017 12:12 PM

For every public chatteler, probably 10 just flying low, and collecting their dough

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickC (Post 38568)
Gordon, we live in a county of almost 500,000. Only 40 minutes of so from a major city. There are a lot of items in our area, but even more in the city, obviously.

I had a blast doing this. Although I don't really enjoy purchasing guru manuals, the Flee Market Flipper seems to know what he's doing. Having a keen eye and knowledge of what items to buy is a gift.

I plan to keep chatteling. It's fun. You make good money and meet interesting people.

Thanks for posting Rob's blog.

He's fun to watch. I like him because he looks for STORED VALUE, not so much for specific things. Pretty diverse buys and flips over the last year.

It has been 20 years since I wrote the original Sprint to Freedom Chattel Report, and we've seen the rise of eBay, Craigslist and now the Offer Up and local sites. Also, TV has given us the Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Flippers, and several shows and what all of these have in common?

PEOPLE FLIPPING CHATTEL FOR PROFITS.

There is only one WRONG way to do it, and that is to lose money. If it makes you a profit, rinse/repeat, scale up, go up the ladder, and there has never been a better time to find something for sale.

Buy it.

FLIP it (or just sell it, ha) for a profit. Make it a weekly habit, and people amaze themselves with the opportunity they have.

Gordon