SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   HARVEY BRODY - Long Lost Article On The King Of The VIRTUAL CORPORATION (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9185)

spyglass May 21, 2015 11:22 PM

Re: The toll position is only one of Harvey's money making strategies.

Yeah Gordon, I have seen Harvey's courses go off on eBay at hundreds of bucks...fueled by Harvey's online almost cult legend no doubt.

Someone who was in serious conversation with Harvey about five years ago has made a standing offer to barter the many hours of the conversations for my archived course. I am considering it since I now view the course as obsolete.

It was cutting edge when introduced for years, perhaps decades later. I imagine Harvey over the decades has improved and expended his model to the point that it is barely recognizable to his original work which the core was his Toll Position concept. Except for the foundation philosophy of his model that is timeless.

Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 35229)
Interesting fact for today...

His original courses have been selling for hundreds of dollars on ebay this past year.

Although the technologies have evolved, the core of his courses are timeless, the THINKING behind the concepts is his secret, which is too hard for most people to wrap their heads around...

most seek the HOW to of doing without taking the time to learn the mental aspects, the mindset first, NOT the do this, then do that, etc.

Molds were only one thing in the course, he was big on paper and ink, and his bonus materials contained those Copyright, Trademark, Patent types of toll positions too.

Just my opinion, but it is Harvey's THINKING, and not the procedures and processes, those are all worked out before any worldly action is taken...

and today, his concepts have so evolved, that few can execute the way he can because they want to DO it their way rather than THINK his.

His success is guaranteed BEFORE he takes action in the world, because he has penciled it out in an A to Z, soup to nuts, one, two, three fashion. That is what makes him unique.

The HB Virtual Corporation has many forms, sort of like a Wankel Engine, while ordinary engines have to fire on all pistons, the Wankel has an unusual much more efficient motion to it.

He gets more done in a few hours than most of us do in a week.

Thanks for the post, Harvey is always a welcome subject to discuss here.

Gordon

PS. I was just listening to a few of the audios we made a few years ago, I have about 30 hours of pure solid gold.

spyglass May 22, 2015 12:06 AM

Re: HARVEY BRODY - Long Lost Article On The King Of The VIRTUAL CORPORATION

Interesting you mention Joseph Cossman because I recently had an email conversation with his son. While Harvey and Joseph's models parallels in concept and with some methods and strategies, there are some major departures between their models. They complement each other, but are not exact models.

Harvey apparently concentrates his asset acquisitions with things industrial, more of what you may expect to see in Home Depot or something sold within an industry, not to the public. He is also an inventor who sometimes uses his inventive mind to improve an acquired asset before reintroducing it to the marketplace for competitive advantage and perhaps at lower cost.

Joseph Cossman's genius was in finding non industrial consumer type assets that were under performing, or performing well, but in only one sales channel and negotiating the right to distribute it in ways and or in places not previously done for a wider sales reach. If the whatever was sold only in the US and selling well, he would approach the owner for Europe and United Kingdom, etc. distribution rights.

He was not an inventor in the traditional sense, but extremely "inventive" in developing more ways to move assets. He came up with 22 ways to distribute products. He didn't invent most of them, but complied and became an expert in all of them, who to contact for best results, etc. He also was an expert on using government resources to help him establish distribution channels world wide, not costing him a penny, using tax payer resources instead. To my recall, Harvey's model does not, or at least it did not decades ago involve enlisting government agency help with establishing international distribution of products.

Less than a week ago, for the first time in decades I watched Joseph's telemercial from the early to mid eighties of him presenting and selling his system. At its height, his telemercial ran in 200 local US television markets for five years. It is surprisingly clear and HDDish for 1980's video technology.

Having both of of these models working in tandem where they can, someone could do some serious damage (make tons of money) in the marketplace I imagine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 35230)
Good article... was never real familiar with Harvy's work.

Sounds a lot like what Joseph Cossman does... and the late Jim Straw. His finders system works (I've pocketed money using it), even though it's dated the principle of it is as relevant as ever.

The thing is, in the world of business... equipment, machines, materials, raw goods and stuff are bought and sold everyday. And _every_ business on the planet has "stuff" sitting in a closet or warehouse that is valuable to someone else.

aikay77 May 22, 2015 08:06 PM

Thanks for this article.

I live in Nigeria and have read Harvey's Toll Position Report (the interview) and I am fascinated with the man.

Anyway I can get access to buy his old complete courses?

I love studying the old masters and would like to see if there was a way I can model his system here in Nigeria.

Thanks SpyGlass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyglass (Post 35226)
I believed I had read everything there is to read on the Internet on the legendary and mysterious Harvey Brody. Someplace in my storage archives, I have his original series of manuals I brought on how to run a very lucrative business by finding certain under performing or abandoned "assets" and re-energize them in the marketplace per his secret sauce method.

I said I "believed" I had read everything there was to read on the internet about Harvey Brody. That is until a few days ago when I discovered I was wrong. A very interesting story on Harvey managed to escape all of my searches for years until recently. I will get back to this later.

I did what 97% of the buyers of Harvey's system didn't, wouldn't or couldn't do...I actually pulled out the Yellow Pages like Harvey said to do and cold called manufacturers looking for abandoned injection molds per Harvey's criteria. The trick was to inquire casually without giving hint that what they consider "junk" may hold lots and lots of value so you can buy at "junk" prices.

I was scared to death making the calls. but I made them, taking long pauses between calls to recover from my nervousness. There were no emails I could hide behind and send. I either made phone calls or put together a direct mail letter and send it to a list of likely suspect local manufacturers in Philadelphia and neighboring counties. Calling was faster and lots cheaper, so I called. I finally booked an appointment to see the manager of a company in Philadelphia.

Once there, all decked out in my caramel brown height of fashion 100% genuine polyester suit, I met the lady manager. She took me to a row in their warehouse where they stored their no longer used injection molds. She directed my attention to injection molds for some of the ugliest lamps made of sandstone my eyes had ever been forced to witness. No wonder she was willing to let me "take them off of her hands" for whatever money she thought I was sucker enough to buy them for. No Thank You! So I thanked her for showing me what she had and made my exit back home in my not air conditioned 1960 Ford Galaxy (given to me by my Uncle and Aunt in 1973) and prayed the radiator would not overheat on the 28 mile trip back home in a neighboring county.

I allowed this non starter experience to influence and generalize my overall feelings about this approach and never made another attempt to find a winning asset that I could work with per Harvey's road map to financial success. I was in my real early twenties with less than great confidence and self esteem. So it didn't take a hell of a lot to discourage me back then.

Although things worked out eventually career wise, I sometimes wonder "what could have been" if I had continued undaunted to capture an asset and implement Harvey's unique, VIRTUAL CORPORATION model. If I dug up his manuals that were published before faxing, email, personal computers, scanning, Skype phone/video and the internet were born, I wonder how useful they would be now because while his model may still be useful in terms of the leverage it offers in concept and sparking out of the box thinking, the process outlined in the manuals are now hopelessly obsolete technologically.

If there is a competently updated version of his model in part or whole for 21st Century implementation, no telling how much I and others will be willing to pay for it if we were convinced it was the real deal and not a bogus shiny object pretending to be a true and workable update of Harvey's virtual corporation model. I imagine it is now much easier and less costly locating appropriate "assets" and getting them under licence or to buy outright. As well as easier to identify appropriate distribution channels or joint venture with someone who has inroads in a distribution set up domestically and perhaps global. Getting a deal signed I imagine a matter of negotiation, not being greedy, ensuring everyone concerned are happy with their piece of the deal and performance responsibilities.

A while back, there was buzz about Harvey updating his model. By my estimation, he is in his early eighties. Having much more sand at the bottom than the top of his hour glass and maybe burdened with some of the health challenges that comes with being in one's early eighties, I do not hold much hope he will finally offer an update of his model. Regrettable because I am sure since its publication many decades ago, he has expanded his model to more lucrative possibilities.

Back to my earlier comment that I discovered I had not in fact read all there was to read about Harvey Brody online. As if coming out of hiding from my many searches for all things Harvey Brody over the years, I came across a feature article on him and his virtual corporation model that appeared in a prestigious newspaper almost a generation ago.

In the article, a professor from a top 25 US university business school says:

"He's the kind of person we should have been studying 30 years ago."

Almost a generation later, his quote could have been made yesterday and be as valid. Read how much income Harvey hints he grosses with only three employees...keeping in mind how long ago he was banking his amount of pre tax income. Then imagine how much his gross would be in 2015 dollars. One hell of a powerful business model sadly lost to us. And for me a great opportunity in hand and lost because I gave up before really getting started.

Here is a link to the 827 word article: http://tinyurl.com/mrcwfao

Enjoy.

Spyglass
P.S. Gordon, thanks so much for your help with my blind spot getting this thread set up. :)

spyglass May 22, 2015 09:45 PM

Hi Aikay,

You are most welcome. :)

No afraid Harvey's course has been out of publication for decades.
In my opinion, even if you did locate a set of his manuals on someplace like eBay, it is hopelessly obsolete technology wise.

I still hold out hope someone, perhaps someone who worked closely with him as a student, protege, close business colleague has adopted and updated his model may be out there somewhere and willing at some point to make the updated model available to the public.

Like Gordon said, Harvey's model in total is more than just his toll position method. Way back then decades ago it was more than that. But even this one piece of his model if updated would be the keys to a very lucrative, even life changing model.

Really glad you enjoyed my post and the LA Times article on Harvey.

spyglass

Quote:

Originally Posted by aikay77 (Post 35240)
Thanks for this article.

I live in Nigeria and have read Harvey's Toll Position Report (the interview) and I am fascinated with the man.

Anyway I can get access to buy his old complete courses?

I love studying the old masters and would like to see if there was a way I can model his system here in Nigeria.

Thanks SpyGlass.

Dien Rice May 22, 2015 11:10 PM

Hi Spyglass,

Thanks for sharing that article! It's good stuff... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyglass (Post 35226)
Once there, all decked out in my caramel brown height of fashion 100% genuine polyester suit, I met the lady manager. She took me to a row in their warehouse where they stored their no longer used injection molds. She directed my attention to injection molds for some of the ugliest lamps made of sandstone my eyes had ever been forced to witness. No wonder she was willing to let me "take them off of her hands" for whatever money she thought I was sucker enough to buy them for. No Thank You! So I thanked her for showing me what she had and made my exit back home in my not air conditioned 1960 Ford Galaxy (given to me by my Uncle and Aunt in 1973) and prayed the radiator would not overheat on the 28 mile trip back home in a neighboring county.

Of course, not every injection mold is a good "toll position"... Just like not every book is a bestseller! You've got the good with the bad...

Sometimes it takes some digging through the dirt to find the gold...

One of the "success stories" in this area is Joe Cossman's spud gun. He didn't invent it. In fact, he bought the old tooling to make it from its earlier manufacturer, who made 100,000 of them, but only was able to sell 10,000. Cossman bought the tooling for $500, and manufactured the spud gun, and the rest is history... You can read the story here...

E.J. Cossman, 84; Ant Farm, Spud Gun Made Him Fortune
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec...l/me-cossman19

Harvey has acquired other products, one I can think of is a "secret formula" type of product (where it's protected, not by a patent, but by a "secret formula" and process that's difficult if not impossible to exactly replicate if you don't know the formula and process). Think of it like trying to reverse-engineer a cake... You can do a chemical breakdown of all the chemicals and substances in the cake - but can you then reproduce it exactly? It would still be very difficult, without knowing the exact ingredients, and the exact recipe of which stage to add each ingredient, how long to bake it for, etc. Sometimes a "secret formula" is the best "toll position" for a product (think of Coca-Cola, or even KFC with its "11 secret herbs and spices," or WD-40, whose formula is a trade secret)!

Quote:

I allowed this non starter experience to influence and generalize my overall feelings about this approach and never made another attempt to find a winning asset that I could work with per Harvey's road map to financial success. I was in my real early twenties with less than great confidence and self esteem. So it didn't take a hell of a lot to discourage me back then.
Don't feel too bad... :)

Around the mid-1990s, I happened to buy a copy of the book "Making It!" by E. Joseph Cossman and William A. Cohen. (It's not as well-known as Cossman's mail order book.)

I also got inspired! At that time, I was interested in colloidal silver (as an alternative health thing)... I approached a manufacturer of colloidal silver to see if I could exclusively distribute it, as I felt I could do a better job than was being done with his product at that time. Anyway, he already had an exclusive distributor, so the answer was "no," but he tried to interest me in some of his other products, which at that time I wasn't too interested in...

Since then, I didn't approach anyone else regarding obtaining rights until a few years ago (when I've started getting interested in rights again, but with a different class of products)...

I plan to focus even more and more on this, in the near future...

Quote:

Although things worked out eventually career wise, I sometimes wonder "what could have been" if I had continued undaunted to capture an asset and implement Harvey's unique, VIRTUAL CORPORATION model. If I dug up his manuals that were published before faxing, email, personal computers, scanning, Skype phone/video and the internet were born, I wonder how useful they would be now because while his model may still be useful in terms of the leverage it offers in concept and sparking out of the box thinking, the process outlined in the manuals are now hopelessly obsolete technologically.
While the technology has changed, the principles have not changed!

"Toll positions" are still around, and still as powerful as ever!

As an example, Harvey's been selling his "Zoom Spout Oiler" for at least 50 years... But, he's still selling plenty of them, and there's no competition who are even close to him! Why? Toll positions! It still works today...

Once you understand what they are, and how to use them... You can easily "adapt" the principles to any new technology.

The key is... many people don't understand this to the depth that Harvey does. You can read the absolute basics for free online...

The absolute basics are in this Dan Kennedy article, for example (where he also mentions Harvey)...

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Money-...sition&id=3262

However, sorry to say this about Dan, but even he doesn't understand toll positions to the same depth that Harvey does. I know this for a fact. Dan Kennedy still works his a** off. Harvey doesn't, yet still makes a ton of money. That's the proof of the difference.

I spoke to Harvey a few days ago... He's in his early 80s, yet very happy and healthy. He's still expanding his business, and still looking at new business activities! Many people might ask why? The answer is - because he loves it! As he once said to me, he loves to "play the game of toll position"...

Best wishes, :)

Dien

GordonJ May 23, 2015 12:27 PM

Sherman Hunter was a long time business associate of Harvey's

Sherman's site is

www.ealliancemaker.com

Check the opportunity section.

We had a good discussion at Warrior Forum a few years ago

http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...al-simple.html

My favorite Harvey Brody strategy being used TODAY is

Control of a specific skill, which requires certified training with RENEWAL. And the product piece of the action with each supply.

I'll give you an example but not what he is doing but so you understand.

I created a new golf swing called the J-Swing, if other golf pros wanted to teach it, they had to get trained and certified, and a yearly certification fee to be able to teach it.

So, a golf pro could teach the swing and then offer some product like video and advanced golf technique, all with the J-Swing Brand.

Now Harvey has a similar type of operation but at a much higher gear, a fifth gear high flying money maker where training is into the thousands along with the product. To my knowledge, he is one of the only people who have set this type of thing up.

As Dien said, old technology, enduring principles.

Gordon

PS. I've been a member of Hunter's site for years, interesting opportunities come up over there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 35245)
Hi Spyglass,

Of course, not every injection mold is a good "toll position"... Just like not every book is a bestseller! You've got the good with the bad...

One of the "success stories" in this area is Joe Cossman's spud gun. He didn't invent it. In fact, he bought the old tooling to make it from its earlier manufacturer, who made 100,000 of them, but only was able to sell 10,000. Cossman bought the tooling for $500, and manufactured the spud gun, and the rest is history... You can read the story here...

Harvey has acquired other products, one I can think of is a "secret formula" type of product (where it's protected, not by a patent, but by a "secret formula" and process that's difficult if not impossible to exactly replicate if you don't know the formula and process). Think of it like trying to reverse-engineer a cake... You can do a chemical breakdown of all the chemicals and substances in the cake - but can you then reproduce it exactly? It would still be very difficult, without knowing the exact ingredients, and the exact recipe of which stage to add each ingredient, how long to bake it for, etc. Sometimes a "secret formula" is the best "toll position" for a product (think of Coca-Cola, or even KFC with its "11 secret herbs and spices," or WD-40, whose formula is a trade secret)!

Around the mid-1990s, I happened to buy a copy of the book "Making It!" by E. Joseph Cossman and William A. Cohen. (It's not as well-known as Cossman's mail order book.)

I also got inspired! At that time, I was interested in colloidal silver (as an alternative health thing)... I approached a manufacturer of colloidal silver to see if I could exclusively distribute it, as I felt I could do a better job than was being done with his product at that time. Anyway, he already had an exclusive distributor, so the answer was "no," but he tried to interest me in some of his other products, which at that time I wasn't too interested in...

Since then, I didn't approach anyone else regarding obtaining rights until a few years ago (when I've started getting interested in rights again, but with a different class of products)...

As an example, Harvey's been selling his "Zoom Spout Oiler" for at least 50 years... But, he's still selling plenty of them, and there's no competition who are even close to him! Why? Toll positions! It still works today...

Once you understand what they are, and how to use them... You can easily "adapt" the principles to any new technology.

The key is... many people don't understand this to the depth that Harvey does. You can read the absolute basics for free online...

The absolute basics are in this Dan Kennedy article, for example (where he also mentions Harvey)...

However, sorry to say this about Dan, but even he doesn't understand toll positions to the same depth that Harvey does. I know this for a fact. Dan Kennedy still works his a** off. Harvey doesn't, yet still makes a ton of money. That's the proof of the difference.

I spoke to Harvey a few days ago... He's in his early 80s, yet very happy and healthy. He's still expanding his business, and still looking at new business activities! Many people might ask why? The answer is - because he loves it! As he once said to me, he loves to "play the game of toll position"...

Dien

sandalwood May 23, 2015 08:27 PM

Gordon,

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about licensing. The Internet has opened up all kinds of possibilities. I know one company that offers a software program that scrapes the Internet for leads. Their license fee is 497upfront with a 97 dollar per month fee.

The buyer is free to hustle up other buyers. If he or she finds a buyer, they keep 400 out of the 497 initial fee and get a percentage of the thererafter 97monthly fee. The licensing of the software is the key for the developer.

Obviously these aren't the only people doing that. The QR code business is another example. I won't bother to list them all as there isn't room even in virtual space.

Nice tip that many of us have forgotten.

Tom

GordonJ May 24, 2015 12:19 PM

Licensing expo

A place to see what licensing is about.

http://www.licensingexpo.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandalwood (Post 35247)
Gordon,

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about licensing. The Internet has opened up all kinds of possibilities. I know one company that offers a software program that scrapes the Internet for leads. Their license fee is 497upfront with a 97 dollar per month fee.

The buyer is free to hustle up other buyers. If he or she finds a buyer, they keep 400 out of the 497 initial fee and get a percentage of the thererafter 97monthly fee. The licensing of the software is the key for the developer.

Obviously these aren't the only people doing that. The QR code business is another example. I won't bother to list them all as there isn't room even in virtual space.

Nice tip that many of us have forgotten.

Tom

spyglass May 25, 2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Hi Spyglass,

Thanks for the complement Dien.

Yep, the first golden nugget is almost always not found on the first, second or third attempt at digging. Sort of like the universe does this to stiff between the wheat and chaff. I wish I had taken this truism to heart so many years ago.

What I did not know until reading his obituary last night is after some good initial successful ventures he later partnered with his brother in-law Milton Levine in 1946. Their business union lasted until 1965 when Levine brought Cossman out. This is when took is unique business model on the road, giving two day seminars across the country at $595 a pop, a princely sum in the mid 1960's. At least up to Cossman's death in 2002, Levine's company was still in business. Milton was no slouch as a businessman, his life and business career is highlighted in wikipedia. He was not as well known as his brother in-law and former business partner, but his was very successful.

Joe's obituary: http://tinyurl.com/lljuuz

Yes, my interest in getting product marketing rights to products has also been reignited. One focus will be to acquire exclusive rights to sell products on Amazon if not in North America, in the UK and Europe. Or perhaps all of them whenever the opportunity presents.

Yeah. Perhaps when I am in the mood to look through my tubs and more tubs of archives, I will dig out my copy of his manuals and see what I can adopt for 21sr Century implementation.

Dan certainly understands how to re-purpose the same content as if new.

Glad to hear Harvey is well and plugging along with his models. My regret he apparently has decided to keep his many updates to his original model to himself.

Dien

GordonJ May 25, 2015 07:56 PM

The BRODY and Cossman Virtual Co. SECRET is...

From the Cossman obit...

"I've had 20 big winners in my lifetime -- ones I've sold 1 million or more of.

I only created two," he told the San Diego Business Journal in 1989.

The two inventions were the ant farm and a fishing lure that smelled like meat.

For the things he didn't invent, he said, "I contacted the manufacturers and got exclusive rights in writing. Then I'd market it as if it were my own product."

There you go.

Gordon

Quote:

Hi Spyglass,

Dien