SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8535)

c.t.coburn July 21, 2013 10:35 AM

How many?

How many businesses, income streams, "sources", jobs, etc can you juggle at one time?

NOT how many projects, i.e. if you are a realtor you can have two dozen listings or a copywriter you can have a list of half dozen articles waiting.

my "rich dad" said three, he served on a bank board and committees , rental houses , and farmed 300 acres. said three was all you could do justice to??

How many?

Dien Rice July 22, 2013 10:54 AM

Re: How many?

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.t.coburn (Post 32970)
How many businesses, income streams, "sources", jobs, etc can you juggle at one time?

NOT how many projects, i.e. if you are a realtor you can have two dozen listings or a copywriter you can have a list of half dozen articles waiting.

my "rich dad" said three, he served on a bank board and committees , rental houses , and farmed 300 acres. said three was all you could do justice to??

How many?

Hi,

I don't know how many... But I do know it's not too many!

You just can't spread yourself too thinly...

My mistake is often trying to do too much! So that's something I've often got to watch out for...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Ankesh July 25, 2013 04:09 AM

How many businesses does Richard Branson juggle?
(I had heard it was 400 companies!)

The trick in juggling multiple businesses and income streams is this:

- Start with just one at one time.
- Systemize it. Document how everything is done. Create guidelines for things that can't be systemized.
- Hire good managers.
- Then add the next venture.

Dien Rice July 25, 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 32995)

- Systemize it. Document how everything is done. Create guidelines for things that can't be systemized.
- Hire good managers.

Hi Ankesh,

That's a great example! (I'm a fan of Richard Branson...)

His autobiography is fascinating reading, and quite inspiring, too. Not everything he's done has been a success - but it proves, you don't have to succeed at everything, in order to be a success overall. Even the "greats" fail every now and then - it's all part of the journey...!

He's also a master of the publicity stunt... (note that some can be a little controversial!)

10 Greatest Virgin PR Stunts of All Time
http://www.businesspundit.com/10-gre...s-of-all-time/

I've written media releases, but never done a publicity stunt (yet)... That's still on the list...

Best wishes,

Dien

c.t.coburn August 3, 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 32995)

- Hire good managers.

you're building an EMPIRE Ankesh!!

.. but I was asking how many distinct "businesses" or income streams YOU could operate at the same time. I'm assuming your advice was to laser focus on one until profitable??

I'm a dummy trying to juggle three, work 40 (+) hours a week (but I'm weird in that I actually LIKE my j.o.b.), selling on Ebay, and sell a couple of services using Gimp ( on Fiverr).

AND since the service I'm offering is basically breaking out part of what I'm selling on Ebay I've started considering myself doing 2 1/2 "jobs."

still under my limit of three! adding to the domains I own as I've sold a couple before for $100s and it's a more passive form of income.