SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Valuable riches, right under your nose...? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9084)

Dien Rice March 17, 2015 11:51 AM

Valuable riches, right under your nose...?

Could there be valuable riches right under your nose?

There's a great story we once discussed, called Acres of Diamonds. One of the morals of the story was that perhaps that there could be riches right on your feet, which you don't realize.

Here's an interesting story. This man started his business by collecting cedar leaves. He packaged and sold them.

Since then, his business evolved so that he was creating all kinds of products from these cedar needles, which he was collecting for free.

You can read more about his business here...

Could you still do this today? I did a quick search on eBay, and there are people on eBay selling dried cedar leaves.

I don't live in an area with cedar trees... However, I am surrounded by eucalyptus trees. And guess what? I did a quick search on eBay, and yes, people are selling dried eucalyptus leaves.

New products can also be created from these, for example, you could create your own essential oils.

There could be a business right under your nose but you don't even realize it. And it may even cost you next to nothing to get started in it!

It's good to keep your eyes and your mind open... You're surrounded by opportunities that you probably don't even see!

Who knows what "treasures" you could find... Cedar leaves, eucalyptus leaves, even moose dung can all have value! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ March 17, 2015 01:05 PM

I read that book at least once a year. Acres of Diamonds.

Also, it was one of the most given lectures in its day, and Russell Conwell used the funds to found Temple University and was the first president of Temple.

Acres of Diamonds came about when Conwell was on a trip to the Mid East in 1869.

Most of us have walked past the gold in our yards to seek the diamonds over yonder, thus, the original Shiny Object of Distraction which stops many of us.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 34645)
Could there be valuable riches right under your nose?

There's a great story we once discussed, called Acres of Diamonds. One of the morals of the story was that perhaps that there could be riches right on your feet, which you don't realize.

Here's an interesting story. This man started his business by collecting cedar leaves. He packaged and sold them.

Since then, his business evolved so that he was creating all kinds of products from these cedar needles, which he was collecting for free.

You can read more about his business here...

Could you still do this today? I did a quick search on eBay, and there are people on eBay selling dried cedar leaves.

I don't live in an area with cedar trees... However, I am surrounded by eucalyptus trees. And guess what? I did a quick search on eBay, and yes, people are selling dried eucalyptus leaves.

New products can also be created from these, for example, you could create your own essential oils.

There could be a business right under your nose but you don't even realize it. And it may even cost you next to nothing to get started in it!

It's good to keep your eyes and your mind open... You're surrounded by opportunities that you probably don't even see!

Who knows what "treasures" you could find... Cedar leaves, eucalyptus leaves, even moose dung can all have value! :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Don Alm March 17, 2015 01:41 PM

Re: Valuable riches, right under your nose...?

Yup.....back in 2007 ......one man decided to create a local "Doctor Directory" (Doctors, Dentists, Chiropractors, Clinics...etc) in the small town of Sedona, AZ.

He charged a Flat Fee of $495 a Month and soon had 33 "medical/dental" participants ($16,335 A MONTH)

This Directory is now HUGE! It's called www.ZocDoc.com.....and I've been told that participants are still paying $495 a Month!.....with HUNDREDS of participating Doctors.

Heck.....my town of 22,000 has SEVENTY SIX (76) Dentists. I'll bet if someone set up a "Doctor Directory" here they'd get at least 20 Doctors, Dentists, Chiros etc.....to pay $495/Mo to participate. That's 10 Grand a Month!

In fact.....as soon as I log out here, I'll check and see if ZocDoc has any participating in my town. If not....I might consider setting one up.

Don Alm

teamplayer March 17, 2015 07:20 PM

Don, I love this!
I have been lurking on this forum for years and decided its time to post.
The directory idea is well known, but leave it to you to fire up the imagination!
Yes this does qualify as riches under your nose indeed.

Trevor - Teamplayer

Don Alm March 18, 2015 01:09 AM

Also, there's "Findlaw.com". They now get $1,000/Mo per Law Firm.

See which Law Firms are in it in your town (findlaw.com/yourtown)

And.....I'll bet ya you could find a few lawyers in your area who'd pay $500/Mo to be in YOUR Directory.

Don Alm

teamplayer March 18, 2015 10:59 AM

Thanks, Don, but I think I will stay away from lawyer clients if I do this,
imagine if you made a mistake!

:eek:

Don Alm March 18, 2015 03:16 PM

There's a word that has NEVER entered my being with all the different Advertising Projects I've done. That word is "F-E-A-R!"

Sure...."some" folks, when considering a program that involves getting paid by Lawyers, think; "Hey! It's TOO EASY for a Lawyer to "simply take a piece of paper and SUE ME....fer evrythin I got"

Well.....that may be correct BUT.....I've done Advertising Programs for Lawyers many times over the years and....THIS kinda thinking NEVER entered MY Mind!

What THIS kinda thinking does, for guys like ME is...."It knocks out most of MY competition" for any "Lawyer Promo Programs"!

Hey! Lawyers, especially "Personal Injury Lawyers" stand to make a few million from ONE LEAD I send them AND.....they are "Willing and Able to Pay ME.....$1,000 or more a MONTH to send them "LEADS"!

Also.....WHY would any Lawyer WANT to spend the TIME and Effort to file a suit against little ol' ME? for NON-Performance....or WHAT?

Maybe YOU should look for a "J.O.B." rather than an "Opportunity"!

Don Alm....."Opportunity Seeker" from waay baack

Don Alm March 18, 2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamplayer (Post 34661)
Thanks, Don, but I think I will stay away from lawyer clients if I do this,
imagine if you made a mistake!

:eek:

Here's a guy (Ray The Video Guy) who has a BUNCH of Lawyer Videos.

Go to Google and type in...."farr west personal injury lawyer" (Notice the BIG Thumbnail!)

When the Video comes up....click down to his Channel (Best Utah Businesses) and then click on "Videos" on the top bar and you will see ALL his Videos.

Ray ranks his videos then asks those in their Niche if they'd like to get LEADS.

Don Alm

Rob Yaggie March 18, 2015 09:07 PM

Wow, impressive

Don,

I've got to say I'm impressed. Is the large video thumbnail something he can control (duplicate at will?) or is it largely luck based?

His videos look great too

Thanks,

Rob Yaggie

Don Alm March 19, 2015 01:24 PM

Yup.....there IS a "Secret" to making a BIG Thumbnail. Google..... kevin's lawn care roseburg or and see what comes up!

See how BIG the Thumbnail is? Sure does GRAB ATTENTION. However, I can't just give it away. Took me SOME TIME and Research to find how to do it.

Don Alm