SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 10 Irritating Phrases (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5840)

MichaelRoss November 7, 2008 05:09 PM

Top 10 Irritating Phrases

A top 10 of irritating expressions has been compiled by researchers at Oxford University - Newspaper Article. (Tax dollars hard at work). And their results are...

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

Regarding this list... At the end of the day I personally think it's a nightmare. The list absolutely shouldn't of been compiled at this moment in time and nor is it fairly unique. And with all due respect to the researches, a task to compile such a list is not rocket science and doesn't need 24/7 research.

Further more, and inasmuch as one is permitted to by the rule of law, I personally shall, at this moment in time, add to this list of annoyances...

11 - It's all good. Said whenever something goes bad.

12 - You know what this is? Said while rubbing index and thumb together, indicating a small violin playing a song of sympathy for the person whining

13 - Outside of the box/square.

14 - Paradigm shift

15 - Just kidding / only joking. Usually said after an insult - or - after someone arks up at what was just said to them. Hint for those who say it... when you add it to your remark, it is not believe and the listener doesn't for one second think you are kidding/joking.

16 - No problem / Not a problem. Can be said multiple times during a conversation. E.g....

Customer: Scuse me. Could you get that box down off the shelf for me?
Assistant: Sure, not a problem.
Customer: Thanx.
Assistant: No problem.
Customer: Oh, I see these are tan, could you see if you have fawn ones out back.
Assistant: Not a problem
Customer: With buckles on them
Customer: And could you make sure they have RFID tags so I can be tracked

Me (thinking): Oh for fax sake. Shut the frigg up with the Not A problem crap will ya, or I'll rip ya bloody tongue out and feed it to that fat kid over there, hoeing into his greasy fries and burger. (Side note, if you're offended by my use of the term Fat Kid, you need to harden the heck up.)

17 - Know what I mean / know what I'm say'n. Placed at the end of a sentence or series of sentences. I have an urge to say, "No, I don't know what you mean" and have even done so on occasion.

18 - Over it. As In... I'm over it; I'm over the election; I'm over the traffic jams; etc. I'm over "over it" :)

19 - Dramatic Quotes. Which is to say, when people, during a conversation, raise their hands and make Quote Signs with their first two fingers of each hand. As if to highlight a word they speak. And those who use them, usually do it when such dramatics aren't required or the word doesn't need highlighting.

20 - Sick / Wicked / Filthy / Etc. Used to mean good. Sorry. I'll play dumb and take it literal. I'm so yesterday.

21 - Gay. To mean Bad. And bad as in Not Good. Not the convoluted use of the term to mean Good. So when you see something doesn't look good or is to be thought of as not good, such as a wreck of a car or whatever, "That car's so gay." HEY, you're so gay for calling things gay.

22 - What-ever. When used as a comeback for something.

Ok. I'm harsh. And understand we use a lot of these terms daily. But their annoyance isn't so much at their use - but - Overuse. An occasional Not A Problem or Know What I Mean is fine. It's when it's said after every pause, ya know. That is annoying, ya know. And then, ya know, it grinds you down, ya know. Like.

Any you, like, wanna add to the list, like, just go ahead like.

Michael Ross

Robert J. November 7, 2008 06:13 PM

a few more ... or less ...

Trying to prime the ol' forum pump, eh, Dien?

Here's a few ...

Out of the box

Synergy

24x7

Want fries with that?

What the *&%#!

Workin' hard? or hardly workin'?

You look like *^&#$

Stupid is as stupid does

When pigs fly

Do as I say, not as I do ...

MichaelRoss November 7, 2008 09:40 PM

I'm Not Dien

Hey Robert,

Thanks for adding some more.

For future reference, Dien is not spelled MichaelRoss. :D

How bout...

You have to learn to share.

Sure mom and dad and teacher and everyone who preaches it. As soon as you start leading by example and sharing all your possessions with other adults, I'll jump right in. Until that happens, instead of telling me to share, tell the other kid not to try to take my stuff without my permission.

There is no "I" in team.

Damn straight there isn't. There's no Mike in team either, for that matter, in case you're confused how it's spelled.

Tell someone who cares / gives a frigg.

I don't find it annoying. Thought I throw it in as something people say.

We've got two other Expressions down here....

FIGJAM
DILLIGAF
Visit http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ to find meanings

Peace out

Huh? What's that mean? You're sending peace out, wishing peace out?? Signing out... as in "Peace, I'm out"? Wah? Someone in the US explain it to an Aussie, please.

Aussie, pronounced by Americans. It's pronounced Ozzy even though it's spelled Aussie. That's just the wonders of our English language.

NOT

Sure, that'll be wonderful and I'm looking forward to it.... NOT

Just get more skilled at a sarcastic tone and be done with it. Of course, in text, instead of using NOT to signal sarcasm, the /s shortcut signifies an End to use of sarcasm. But what the hell, use whatever floats your boat, grills your schnitzel, fries your bacon, baits your hook, polishes your silverwear, tunes your engine, mows your lawn or clicks your mouse.

Law of Attraction

Yawn.

Michael Ross

Robert J. November 7, 2008 10:51 PM

I apologize ...

I'm sorry, Michael. I never saw you and Dien in the same room at the same time ... i just figured ... LOL!

Seriously, I am a victim of my own "rush to post."

I love some of these in the latest list of yours ... the best ones yet!

Well, there's no I in team, so Peace Out!
Robert J.:o