SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Returning After an Abscence, Question About Community Site (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6705)

Marty K. January 20, 2010 06:57 PM

Re: Returning After an Abscence, Question About Community Site

Steve,

I just got in from my long shift at work and have glanced at what you've suggested. It looks really great; I'm going to go over it in detail shortly, after I eat.

Thanks! ;)

Adman January 20, 2010 07:57 PM

Re: Town Directory

1) Start out with the "Video Slides with background music".
2) Offer 3 or 4 Free Samples to start
3) Get an "Ego-centered" domain, "HendersonsBest.com"
4) Send a PostCard, every month, to "New Movers" with URL on it
5) Get a local Pizza Co to offer a "Buy 1 Pizza, Get 1 Free". Have viewers sign in for it and...capture their emails for add'l followup and offers.

And....don't be concerened about any potential customers "doing it themselves"....they have too much keeping their biz going to "fool around" with doing something you offer.

Don Alm

Phil January 20, 2010 08:14 PM

Gary Vaynerchuk + Vanksen’s Marketing 2.0 Trends for 2010 is everybody's Opportunity

Thought I'd Spin the subject line to make things more Applicable for Everyone on Google and SowPubs... :)

Marty,

Welcome back into the Entrepreneurial world...

As Ankesh suggested Make sure you Dig through those Golden SowPub archives...

Quick example... Some Great ideas in the following thread...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthre...ht=LOCAL+VIDEO
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/search.php

But what I Highly recommend as so Many these days in Listening to and Studying everything from Gary Vaynerchuk...

Gotta love his Energy! ... Motivation... & Intriguing personality...

Gary Vaynerchuk's got his own Keyword database in Google well worth Digging into and Studying!

Quick link Sampling if you happen to be unfamiliar with Gary Vaynerchuk...
http://fora.tv/2009/10/23/CRUSH_IT_Gary_Vaynerchuk
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...G=Search&meta=
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc... ch_type=&aq=f
http://garyvaynerchuk.com/
http://tv.winelibrary.com/

On another note! ... Awesome Blog post and TED video full of Endless ideas & opportunities... ;)

Click on the Free PDF at the end of the blog post!

VANKSEN’S MARKETING 2.0 TRENDS FOR 2010 - Social Networks, UGC, Mobile, Monitoring, Blogs, Influence: The Complete Panorama
http://www.culture-buzz.com/blog/Van...2010-2463.html

Phil

Marty K. January 21, 2010 05:59 AM

Don,

I like the idea of the postcards to the new movers. It's in line with being a mini welcome service without putting too much strain in it for me. I think it would be a selling point with which I'd feel confident. However, let me ask you this:

Do you think I should use (or give my clients the option) of including printed gift certificates that also go to the new movers?

I'm not worried about people doing it themselves, as I know they don't have a lot of time.

I'm going to have to find a way to put this into action, balancing things with my present work load. ;)

Marty K. January 21, 2010 06:05 AM

Great advice, Phil, I'm going to check out everything. I remember that you and Ankesh (and of course Don) were very helpful, even beyond the "call of duty" in the past. ;)

Marty K. January 21, 2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankesh (Post 25824)
Thanks Marty.

Google shows that you already have 2 worthy competitors:
http://www.cityofhenderson.com/
http://www.hendersonnevada.com/

Your domain name is weaker than them.

So you have to differentiate from them. At the same time, find a way to earn money.

True, but do think my name is leaning more toward indicating a welcome service or mini-welcome service and that if I incorporated something such as the small magnetic boards or postcard mailings (which I had contemplated previously) or including an option for printed coupons or gift certificates going to new movers, that it could be effective perhaps even better?

What or your thoughts on this?

Your other suggestions seem great. Again, I'm going to review it more later. Thanks for your great help! ;)

palmanator January 21, 2010 10:27 AM

Wow... it's been a long time since I visited the board.

A lot has changed for me over the last couple of years.

Just want to make a couple of comments.

The first is about how I ended up back on SOWPUB this morning, and suggest a tip that might be helpful for y'all.

First tip...

Set up a "Google Alert" for, at the minimum... your name.

I recently set up a Google Alert for my name as well as my offline business, and the comment from Ankesh that had my name in it popped up this morning due to the fact that he mentioned me, and my Google Alert caught it.

I clicked on the link that the alert provided, and found this thread and the discussion that Marty had started.

The Google Alerts are free, and you never know what might come of them... like this morning.

Since I set up my alert, I have been reading them everyday... thinking about the power of the alerts... and pondering how they might be leveraged into money making opportunities.

I have only been using them for a few weeks, so let me state right upfront, the following comment is just theory as of today (Jan 21, 2010) since I am just venturing into and experimenting with them and how they might be used.

But here's one possibility.

Let's say you have your own product, service, or even an affiliate product that you wanted to market.

If you created a number of Google Alerts that contained keyword phrases for your product, service, etc., then whenever a post was made in a blog or discussion group like this one, you might be able to capitalize on it and, using some "stealth marketing", make a post with a link to a squeeze page and make a few bucks.

I'm sure that with all the brainpower on this board, there may be other ways to use the alerts, so if you have a few ideas, maybe a separate thread might be in order... if not... no big deal!

Again, I'm just seeing the power of the alerts, so I may be way behind with my "new found cyber-toy"... there may already be folks that have developed the concept to a much higher degree, so I don't mean to imply anything other than the fact that there seems to be some possibilities with using the alerts to create some income opportunities.

Now, having said that, I will try and explain how this post relates to Marty's question and a few of the responses to him.

The movement of the comments and suggestions for Marty gravitated towards online video.

But I think that the "video" discussion sort of misses a bigger picture.

The bigger picture is what actually spurred on the reason I even set up my Google Alerts in the first place, and that is the whole movement... into social media and the new marketing models it is forcing local businesses to take, video being ONE of the new models.

A few weeks ago, I responded to an email from one of my local telecom suppliers (I have an offline phone system installation business) to attend a 2 hour session on "Social Media For Small Businesses".

The email wasn't full of hype, the 2 hour session was free, so I thought... what the heck... I'll sign up.

I thought there might be 25 people attend, as it was on a workday (a Tuesday), and was from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m.

I really didn't think it would be very well attended, and I almost skipped it... but decided to attend at the last minute.

Boy... what a surprise.

I walked into the place, and was SHOCKED!!!

Over 400 people responded!!!

The speaker was really good, but more than that, I was fascinated by the "hungry crowd".

The presentation was for an hour and a half, then they opened it up for 30 minutes of questions and answers.

Then the second shock wave hit me... and that was the enormous "haven't got a clue" questions that the attendees began asking.

Being a person who loves observing, analyzing, and poking around for opportunities, I immediately saw some BIG potentials.

Here were hundreds of business owners, obviously acutely aware of something they needed, and... based on their questions and comments of what THEY needed, they were looking for a leader... for someone who could help them navigate their "business boat" through the rough waters of an approaching storm that threatens to push them into the rocks and sink their business.

It wasn't an issue of how to thrive... but how to SURVIVE in the new social media frontier!

So Marty, don't just look at an online video scenario.

Grasp the fact that the bigger picture is... how can you position yourself as the person who can ride in on a white horse and save the day... wielding the sword of effective local marketing utilizing the power of "local" social media... video being just one of the tools.

Anyway, since the seminar, I have immersed myself in the task of getting my head around the whole social media scene (books, online blogs, social media articles, etc), and am now assembling a business and service focusing on how small businesses in my area can harness the enormous power of the whole arsenal of available social media weapons in the marketing battle they (we) find ourselves thrust into.

This social media thing is more than a new wave approaching the beaches of local businesses... it is a TSUNAMI that's coming... or really... is already here, and based on the questions OVER 400 people had... they don't have a clue as to how to respond to the threat!!!

I really think that if the seminar had been positioned as "How to use online video for your business" it wouldn't have pulled in 400 people.

I could be wrong... and it wouldn't be the first time :-)

Anyway, I am developing a whole new business to... well... maybe that's info that might need to be discussed on another discussion thread.

Please don't take my comments as being critical of anyone or any posts.

I'm just trying to expand my own horizon's, and thought I'd share a bit of my latest musings with you folks.

Just my 1.5 cents,
John Palma

Adman January 21, 2010 10:49 AM

Yes! What REALLY keeps customers paying you...every month....is.... RESULTS!

If they see one of THEIR Special Offer Coupons come into their biz being held by someone who got it FROM YOU!.....YOU can bet yer bippy they will KEEP ON PAYING YOU! Month after month!

Now....besides the website you send a Giant Card, either 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 or even 8 1/2 by 11. On this Card are ALL Special Offers from your customers.

AND.....now here's the SECRET to PREVENTING your customers from saying or thinking, "Hey! Yer program ain't bringin' in many customers, we ONLY got 10 Coupons in last month!"

You place ALL your offers on ONE Card! There's a circle or box where your customers can check off....indicating the Special Offer has been used.

Now....when the Special Offer is checked....the New Mover TAKES THE CARD WITH THEM!....so your customers "has an idea" your program is working for him BUT....he does not know....exactly how many or how few people are coming in.....so...when your bill comes in for the next period....he PAYS IT!

Don Alm

Bozo January 21, 2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adman (Post 25838)
....so your customers "has an idea" your program is working for him BUT....he does not know....exactly how many or how few people are coming in.....so...when your bill comes in for the next period....he PAYS IT!

Don Alm

When you said a site with traffic wasn't needed, I gave some thought to accusing you of selling crap painted up like strawberries.

But then I thought...Nah, why bother. Idiots will buy anything that looks like a strawberry to them, who am I to try selling real strawberries?

Thanks for clearing the air.

Dien Rice January 21, 2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adman (Post 25838)
Now....when the Special Offer is checked....the New Mover TAKES THE CARD WITH THEM!....so your customers "has an idea" your program is working for him BUT....he does not know....exactly how many or how few people are coming in.....

Keep in mind that this approach will have the opposite effect too...

That is, if your program is working like gangbusters to bring people in, this approach obscures it... And the customer "has an idea" it's working, but can't be really sure that it is working very well, and so might be more likely to cancel your program as a result...

Just pointing it out. Even without considering the ethical side of it, it's a double-edged sword.

- Dien