SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product.... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3842)

Kelly Kasabian March 26, 2007 02:34 PM

Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product....

GJA or anyone with experience ...

What to do when you've a "want" but the product... needs to be "manufactured" ?

Here's the scoop - I'm trolling around eBay and notice a particular product in it's category is going gangbusters on bids - but all the others in the same category aren't. Seems this ONE particular one (that is no longer being manufactured) always sells well ...always between 200 and 300 bones.... but believe-you-me, it's because it's GOOD, not because it's collectible... ya' see, I have one - and I remember getting into a similar bidding war a few years ago when I bought it ...I just no longer need it.

Ya' see - it's a rare product that not only fits a want but a "need" also ... one of those "d*mn! I could really use that!" the moment a person (like small families starting out or students on a budget) sees it ... it eliminates a lot of hassles. It's not a hobby or anything like that, in other words.

Okay - so here's the thing - sure I want to get rid of mine for a pretty penny - but I'm thinking, if I can get these things exclusively - or whatever, seems to be a ready market on eBay that can't get enough. (and I figured out pretty much exactly why too ...none of the other manufacturers offer something that's unique with this one product... and those starter families and students end up saving a lot of time and money by getting it) ...

Okay - my question is - I don't care to deal with manufactured products because you have to put a lotta' $$$ up front to get 'em made ...

...so, any of you guys out there with your creative "schmoozing" ever figured out a way to get something made like this - perhaps on a limited basis - without any of your own moolah? (I seem to remember Dan Kennedy - and I AM NO FAN OF HIS - or any of "those" guru's - saying "If you can't get rich with no money - you won't get rich with money either" ...i happen to believe that's true) ...while I don't have any money to get these things "reverse engineered" or whatever - I refuse to let that kinda' thing stop me when I see a "hungry market" ready to buy...

Anyhow - I know there's limited info here guys ...but any of your experiences in getting something manufactured with as little risk as possible would be interesting to hear.

Btw, I've heard of something where you can get all kindsa' seed capital and such if you are able to produce a list of "retail merchant buyers" or something - but I dont' have that ..all I have is a niche on eBay (and somehow, I imaigne convincing "angels" to fund a project on eBay alone ain't gonna' cut it)...

Okay - thanks again to all in advance ...

KK

GordonJ March 26, 2007 03:55 PM

Here are a few steps, perhaps others can add to this.

Kelly,

First thing is to find out about the PROTECTION surrounding this product...what trademarks, patents, copyrights etc.

You know who manufactured it, was it discontinued? Perhaps the molding is just sitting around collecting dust?

How was it originally sold? How did you come into possession of this?

Retail? Direct?

OK, you start with a bunch of questions, then head to library and search Thomas Register, if you've (and I'm speaking generally here) never done this, have the librarian show you how it works...they LOVE to help people.

Is the MFG still in business? What happened to it?

Why are the people at eBay bidding on it? Is it a must have? And why isn't there any direct competition? (Quality? Niche specific?).

Why not do yours at an outrageous reserve...to see how the thing will go? And who knows, if it is that wanted, maybe you'll cash in and locate more.

Who would most likely have one of these gizmos in your neck of the woods? How would you find them?

IF they are still being manufactured, then you have to go to the source...perhaps a licensed agreement, or a "distributorship" type thing, as a wagon jobber. Sounds like they aren't made anymore...could they be manufactured onesy twosies at a small business as filler biz?

If it is patent protected, search for all similar type of patents so you get to know the product up, down and sideways.

HOW can it be improved?

Well, Kelly, I'm afraid questions is the START...then you have to figure out how involved you want to be...determined, I hope, by the size of the market.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

PS. I'm always available to give you a private email too. [email protected]

MichaelRoss March 26, 2007 03:59 PM

Re: Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product....

MYSTERY DEVICE WANTED. Any condition. Cash paid. Call 555-5555

KK,

Thanks for asking.

Maybe something like the above ad could be worth testing in your neck of the woods, or further afield.

I know of one guy that sells car parts for a certain car on eBay. He will run Wanted Ads in cities half a day's drive away. Then schedule a Look & Buy trip for the same day, to all those who called his wanted ads. Then, loaded with stock, he sells them on eBay. Makes $600 - $1,000 a month doing this.

Without knowing What this thing is, can it be made piece meal? Have you looked at Global Sources or India Mart to see if you can buy the Guts of this thing so you can then Install it into your own Housing Box (ready made box bought at hardware store or electrician supply stores or places like Radio Shack) or having some of those companies make something for you?

Michael Ross

Kelly Kasabian March 26, 2007 06:15 PM

Re: Gordon or anyone - what to do when you've got a "want" but the product....

Gordon and Michael -

Great great info - thanks to both of you ... indeed lots of questions I need to start asking ...also, being for the fact that I have one, I suppose I can find out about patents and such just looking it over ... good news on that is - from what I've gathered on my prelim. research (from what sold on eBay) is that patents shouldn't be too much of a problem getting around ... the reason it (seems to be) selling so well - it has just one simple feature that none of the others have that's easily duplicatable...

..and Gordon - I think that's part of what I'm ancy about ...if I contact the original manufacturer (yup, still in biz.) ...these days it's so easy for anyone who has a "dead" product to think "Hmm... why should we let this person do it - when we can just crank up ops. and sell 'em ourselves on eBay?" ... I'd hate to tip those guys off as to what my intentions are (I suppose playing P.I. could still get me my answers though)...

... Michael - I've thought about doing exactly what you've mentioned ... using regular media (newspapers, pennysavers, etc.) to advertise - in fact there's one paper here in the city that will let you run ads for free (craigslist has been decimating print media's classified sections ...so they have to try to compete ...not sure how they can "compete" by making stuff free, but I certainly don't mind! :) ...

...and to answer your other questions Michael - I actually have a stateside resource to have just about ANYTHING I want reverse engineered in China ... the downside is unless it's a big-order they're not interested (they actually have a few eBay powersellers they supply) ...so you've gotta' already know you've got a sure niche to deal with them...

Hey thanks again fellas...

Best,

KK

P.S. - Gordon, I appreciate it on the email ...just didn't want to wear out the welcome