SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Instant sales vs Instant Buyers. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11105)

GordonJ October 14, 2021 03:44 PM

Instant sales vs Instant Buyers.

From a discussion at Warrior Forum; I've been thinking about what I would have wanted when I was a younger salesman.

For most of my life, I thought I wanted INSTANT SALES.

Today, NO. I want INSTANT BUYERS.

See, selling is a process, buying is a decision, I want the prospect who has already decided and doesn't require any salesmanship on my part.

There are dozens of sales training courses, tons of selling videos and untold thousands of books on selling. I believe I've been exposed to them all. Some are better than others.

But I've come to a new conclusion.

They ALL are wrong.

Why? It is the framing of the idea, SELLING means being active, doing something, using skills (which many don't have and never will).

Glenn Osborn has been a green light for me, one which I can go through and not make a stop.

I want to jump to the very end, a YES from whomever is interested in my offer. I talk a lot about my favorite little lady, LITTLE DEBBIE and her snacks. Yummy sugar and sodium laced goodies which millions of people BUY, everyday.

We have shouted about lists for decades now, and the importance of building them. I don't think the Debster has me on a list, yet.

As I was reviewing a lifetime of work, I noticed that I was very stuck in the SALESMAN mode...

trying to get people to buy. Trying to persuade and influence them for my personal profit, and for their good too. That should be a mission of any really good PROFESSIONAL salesperson, shouldn't it?

60 years later, after devouring the Elmers (Leterman and Wheeler) and a lifetime immersed in sales psychology...I wonder where the mentor was who would have said to me...

quit selling...

find buyers.

Sure, we old timey direct response marketers pert near lived by that, find a buyer, someone who buys in quantity and often. BINGO, you live at the top of the hill.

Yet the greatest of them out there, for a cold list, had single digit success, a 4% response rate to a cold list would have made them wealthy...but 96% failure rate (with a different perspective)...YIKES.

Today, and this after attending a two day webinar by Pat Flynn and his group, I think the future belongs to those who find INSTANT BUYERS.

And I would give serious thought to focusing in that direction, if I wore a younger man's clothes...

INSTANT BUYERS.

HOW? Today; data, searches, OFFERS. Bring the INSTANT BUYERS to you. Somewhat of an advanced Kennedy "magnetic marketing" strategy, and with the tools you all have to use today, I think you would be surprised how easy it could be to attract the Instant Buyer to your offer.

Any thoughts?

Gordon

P.S. Glenn's part: showing us ways he PREPS the mind (as in Cialdini's PRESUASION) subliminally before his "offers". Mind blowing stuff.

Prep the prepared mind, and there you go, INSTANT BUYERS.

Dien Rice October 17, 2021 01:15 AM

Re: Instant sales vs Instant Buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 42374)
From a discussion at Warrior Forum; I've been thinking about what I would have wanted when I was a younger salesman.

For most of my life, I thought I wanted INSTANT SALES.

Today, NO. I want INSTANT BUYERS.

See, selling is a process, buying is a decision, I want the prospect who has already decided and doesn't require any salesmanship on my part.

Hi Gordon,

Instant buyers are fantastic!

Of course, that happens all the time with "chatteling"... People know the product and already want it, the only issue (if there is one) is the price...

I think often the issue is "trust"...

You can go out on the street and try to hand out $10 bills... and many won't take them, because they'll think there must be a "catch"...

It's a trust issue...

But the less you have to "sell" to make a sale, the easier life is... :)

The "warmer" your audience, though, the easier it is, as you've already built a certain level of trust with a "warm" audience, as opposed to a "cold" one (who has no idea who you are)...

Best wishes,

Dien

MikePT October 17, 2021 06:28 PM

There is this narrow notion on direct response world that I can't only accept:

"Find what people want and give them"

But as I see it, some people don't know what they want, or as Steve Jobs said:

"Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd ask customers what they wanted, they would've told me a faster horse." People don't know what they want until you show it to them."

And I agree with Steve Jobs.

The great late Designer Massimo Vignelli said: "Designers look at the front window when driving, while Marketers look at the back mirror when driving".

The Adman George Lois launched iconic brands with big ideas, like Tommy Hilfiger ( http://www.georgelois.com/phone/tommy-hilfiger.html ).

I am not defending or attacking Branding, but for me I use the 2 approaches: wants & needs.

And of course if I had to choose Direct Response advertising or Branding advertising I would invest my pennies on Direct Response.

The only safe road, in my opinion, is this magic word: TEST.

And for me common sense and intuition is serving me well.

So, all of this to say that myself - on my view - wanting only instant buyers (wants) and not selling (needs)... I have doubts.

But great insight Gordon.

MikePT

trevord92 October 18, 2021 03:12 AM

I sell quite a lot of stuff (as Gordon would call it) on Amazon and eBay - basically instant buyers for my products.

Those two sites - plus Walmart in the US - are where the hungry crowd is.

IsabellaMiller71 October 18, 2021 03:26 AM

You can always look for different sources like FB Marketplace or Craigslist if it's possible. This way you pay less for selling more items. Instant buyers in bigger numbers is more important. The best thing is to have both, but we can't everything, right? :p

--------------------------------
https://www.klimax-sc.pl/