SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original SOWPub Forum Archive (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is wealth? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555)

Dien Rice November 14, 2000 10:57 AM

What is wealth?

What does wealth mean to different people?

To some it means *money*....

To others it means *happiness*....

And still to others it means *appreciation for what you have*....

If "wealth" means "happiness" then it is true that some rich people are not wealthy, and some who seem quite poor are actually very wealthy (as long as their basic needs are met)....

I hope Julie doesn't mind me mentioning this, but one thing that Julie Jordan Scott talks about is "abundance".... and appreciating the abundance that is around you. Seeing what you have, and appreciating it....

Did you know, we are at the wealthiest time in history? Think about it....

Not even the world's most powerful king 200 years ago could travel at anywhere near 50 miles an hour!

The world's most powerful emperor, just 100 years ago, could die from smallpox, something which has been eradicated in the modern world!

The earth's most powerful sovereign 100 years ago could not chat instantly with many other people on the other side of the earth today, the way we do right now on the internet!

If that's not a type of wealth, I don't know what is....

We are all incredibly wealthy.... We are ALL wealthier than the richest king or queen in the world was 100 years ago, in terms of what we have. We possess and use things they never even dreamed of.... Sometimes (as I've learned from Julie), it's wise to reflect on the ABUNDANCE that we have already in our lives.... :)

Thanks... :)

Dien Rice

Julie Jordan Scott November 14, 2000 02:38 PM

Re: What is wealth?

Hi Dien and Everyone!

Thank you so much for writing of my take on abundance. Its amazing, I set up themes for each month....August was "Intentional Abundance" and I really created an awareness of Abundance in my life.

This month, my theme is Plentiful Harvest. Believe me y'all, its working. I have been harvesting, reaping after many months of sowing, almost to the point where it is unbelievable! The one common thread is that I took time in laying a foundation, and now I am getting the reward. I never stopped living abundantly....I always believed in abundance and gratitude, and now it is paying off so I am abundant in even more ways.

I wrote an article in August I entitled Intentional Abundance....I will post it here, so you can get a feel for what Dien and I were talking about in our ICQ conversation last week.

Intentional Abundance
(c) 2000
by Julie Jordan Scott

Intentional Abundance. Sounds peacefully rich, doesn't it? It
is also my theme for this month. On Saturday, when I
mindmapped my plans for the month, "Intentional Abundance" was
birthed with both speed and clarity. By creating a theme to filter
the rest of the month through, I am upping the ante towards
living with intention and abundance as unique partners.

Merriam Webster has a two-fold definition of "Themes". The
first is more from the scientific, or logical method of thinking: "a
specific and distinctive quality, characteristic, or concern" while a
secondary definition embraces the artistic side: "a melodic subject
of a musical composition or movement" yet for our purposes, the
"Monthly Theme" concept is a combination of the two.

To be intentional, one must be purposeful. Deliberate. Focused.
Yet in my mind, intentional also has a spirit of not forcing oneself,
while including a spirit of flow. My favorite quotes from one
of my very favorite philosophers, Henry David Thoreau, goes like
this: "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,
to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn
what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that
I had not lived." Thoreau wanted to be sure that he lived life as
he was meant to live, so he went and lived separately from the
rest of the world for a time.

How I express living intentionally is quite different from my
Nineteenth Century counterpart. In my situation, being intentional
means to seek out relationships being sure it is a quality
relationship rather than simply another person to engage in
mindless conversation.

Being intentional means being aware, alert, and alive towards
the possibilities. All of the possibilities, and then taking action
towards them.

Hearing the word "abundance" brings content smiles to most
people's faces, whether describing an abundance of home baked
chocolate chip cookies, an abundance of quality time with those
we care about the most or the abundance of financial wealth in
various holdings. Abundance means being whole, being full, being
fulfilled no matter the context.

Mindmapping on Abundance as I set forth to create the context
for this month, I noted what areas of my life could be exponentially
higher quality if I looked through the filter of abundance. My
map illustrates Freedom (enlarged social support system, fully
equipped office, automobile, home, and bank accounts) Service
(More shared resources, Active Networking) and Organization
(Greater use of Virtual Assisting, Coherent and Awesome follow
up mechanism in place, Workable schedule).

Intentional Abundance embraces both systems and creative flow.
It recognizes the incredible freedom that comes from discipline. It
embraces the joy that arises when we are able to focus on that
which we should be focused, possibilities rather than focusing on
the lack in our lives.

What is your Theme for this month? Be Abundant. Be
Intentional. Live Passionately, Today.

Today I went to Target to pick up some items (it is a store similar to Wal-mart, where you can buy everything from pet supplies to garden tools, to clothes, to videos, etc etc. and I thought to myself "Eighteen months ago I had no idea how I could work at home. Now I am not only working from home, I am working from home successfully." *sigh* It warmed my entire person!

Have an abundant, passionate day everyone!

JULIE

Where Passion and Abundance Reigns!

Amber November 14, 2000 03:02 PM

Julie, what a fantastic post...

Hi Julie,

I am so inspired by your writing! Just can't say enough good stuff about your wondrous talent.

Thank you so much for taking the time to contribute this very thoughtful post.

And congratulations for being able to honestly tell us that you are indeed not just 'talking the talk', but that you are truly 'walking the walk' by successfully living your message.

More power to you JJS! :)

Best Wishes,
Amber Sorenson

Julie Jordan Scott November 14, 2000 03:33 PM

Re: Julie, what a fantastic post...

Hi Amber!

> I am so inspired by your writing! Just can't
> say enough good stuff about your wondrous
> talent.

***All I can say is embracing the gifts I was giving, and living how I was meant to live made all the difference in the world. Maybe this is familiar to you?

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so you will know what is the good and right and perfect will of God."

Its written by the Apostle Paul in the Book of Romans, although it COULD be written by many inspiring people of today.

> Thank you so much for taking the time to
> contribute this very thoughtful post.

***Thank you, Amber, for writing back. I was thinking of you last night, as I was looking at the magnificence of all the stars in the sky! I really value your friendship and relationship as we have been growing it here through this glorious message board which is REALLY more than what most people think of when they think of message boards....

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE JORDAN SCOTT

Dien Rice November 15, 2000 07:49 AM

Thank you Julie.... I could relate to that... :)

Hi Julie,

I agree with Amber.... that was a wonderful article! Thank you! :)

> This month, my theme is Plentiful Harvest.
> Believe me y'all, its working. I have been
> harvesting, reaping after many months of
> sowing, almost to the point where it is
> unbelievable!

Julie, that's fantastic.... Plentiful Harvest.... I love that concept.... :)

> To be intentional, one must be purposeful.
> Deliberate. Focused.
> Yet in my mind, intentional also has a
> spirit of not forcing oneself,
> while including a spirit of flow.

I agree... I think "going with the flow" of what seems natural can be very powerful....

For better or worse, I tend to "switch" between two modes. One mode is my "achiever" type mode (you know, the unhealthy, stressful, high-blood-pressure type).... While it's not always so pleasant, it often gets the job done, and it is very focused....

The other "mode" I get in is more the "go with the natural flow" mode, where I can fall in with the natural flow of things.... It's a much more pleasant place to be (very relaxing). :)

> My
> favorite quotes from one
> of my very favorite philosophers, Henry
> David Thoreau, goes like
> this: "I went to the woods because I
> wished to live deliberately,
> to front only the essential facts of life,
> and see if I could not learn
> what it had to teach, and not, when I came
> to die, discover that
> I had not lived." Thoreau wanted to be
> sure that he lived life as
> he was meant to live, so he went and lived
> separately from the
> rest of the world for a time.

I can relate to this.... To me, it mainly means taking time away from things, and which can help bring everything back into focus....

I've found that often, we can stray from our original path, yet we're so busy and working so hard that we don't notice.... Taking a bit of time off gives your mind a chance to reflect on things and realize exactly how close or how far you are from your original intended path....

> How I express living intentionally is quite
> different from my
> Nineteenth Century counterpart. In my
> situation, being intentional
> means to seek out relationships being sure
> it is a quality
> relationship rather than simply another
> person to engage in
> mindless conversation.

I agree here too.... :) Quality relationships are *extremely* important.... No one is an island, and having quality, supportive relationships can be crucial to reaching success.... :)

Thanks Julie.... I love reading your abundant writings full of plentiful harvest! :)

They make a difference to my life....

Dien Rice

Julie Jordan Scott November 15, 2000 07:43 PM

More Lessons on Wealth Everyday...like this morning! :-)

> Hi Julie,

> I agree with Amber.... that was a wonderful
> article! Thank you! :)

Thank YOU, Dien, for being so abundantly kind and supportive. I had quite a lesson today, and wondered if others can follow along and SEE the bounty in it, the lesson in it, and perhaps see where they can create shifts in their thinking as well in the future.

This morning, my three year old Emma and I went to Burger King to play at their indoor playground because we had some time to spare before Bible Study. Wednesdays are our day without work, and she loves "school" and I love my lessons and interaction with some pretty deep thinking women who come to the study.

Although it was broad daylight, for some reason I left the lights on in my car. As Em and I were inside, I was sort of smugly thinking how I had changed some pretty bleak financial situations around for my family...that it felt SO good to be "in control" of everything.....kind of arrogant actually...

I went out to start my car and YOU GUESSED IT, my battery had become worthless. Thinking, how can I solve this, I decided when my Ford Cortina would not start 20 years ago, I would jump start it. So I pushed my car up and then jumped in and rolled down the hill....but there was not enough juice to start it.

So a guy from the place asked me if I needed help, and I asked for jumper cables, but they had none. I went next door to the new Auto Sales place, and THEY had none (both guys who owned them forgot them this morning) so I was resigned to calling AAA. I think that was someone's larger intention for me. Control was NOT mine at all in this case, or in any of life actually.

Still not upset or distressed (even though I was flirting with being late to my study) I called AAA. They said someone would be there within a half an hour and ten minutes later my tow truck came to jump start my battery.

The driver was especially nice, he took my card and ID and I went to rescue Emma who was having fun playing with the pay phone. He asked me if I had an updated AAA card (the one I had with me had expired).

He said to me, jokingly, "I could tell you I can't serve you with an outdated card."

And I countered with, "You look like much too nice of a guy to not help a pregnant woman with a preschooler get her car started." He turned and looked at me and said, "You are pregnant again?"
and I nodded and he said, "Tell me the Dad is still around to take care of his kids."

Still joking, I said, "Most of the time.....are you a bartender in your spare time?" He laughed and said that he was not. I told him I was separated, and that sometimes life throws us curveballs we are not expecting.

He stood up and said "My wife and two kills were killed by a drunk driver right before Christmas last year." Immediately tears filled my eyes, and overflowed. I managed to choke out, "I am sooo sorry....I, I, I just can't even imagine."

He did not speak a trite "Its ok." He simply nodded and got the cables ready to jump my car.

He took extra time to be sure my car was ok, even asked about the lights working and suggested I have the whole system checked on it.

I cried almost all the way to Bible Study, realizing that I had abundance sitting next to me in her car seat, that I have abundance in my relationships BEYOND financial abundance.

I thought of how blind I sometimes am to this wealth in front of me. And it is because of this wealth, my children and people I am in relationship with, that I will continue to responsibly build my business and continue to live my destiny.

It just so happens, that when all is lined up, it all seems to fall into place more magnificently than I could ever create myself.

Even for the towtruck driver (Who I will most likely never see again) he has given ME a lesson in abundance.

And I could have just pouted and sulked and been surly. Instead, I was purely me (yes, I like to joke and be silly much of the time) and remained open to the lesson I was supposed to receive this morning.

Which leads me to the question, how are the rest of you tuning into the messages you are receiving?

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE

Dien Rice November 16, 2000 12:24 PM

Julie, thanks for that great story! :) I'll answer in more detail soon.... (DNO)

Amber Sorenson November 16, 2000 02:18 PM

Re: More Lessons on Wealth Everyday...

Julie,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It brought to mind something that happened to me once upon a time that helped to deepen my appreciation for my abundant portion in life.

A few years ago, we were preparing to move to a new home that we had custom built...just outside of the city limits. I was feeling on top of the world.

Wanting to pack less 'stuff', I was hauling a lot of it out to the edge of the driveway where the garbage collectors would pick it up the following day. (Those were the days before ebay!) ;)

While taking a coffee break, I happened to gaze out the window in my kitchen and saw a young couple and their almost-ancient-totally-rusted- out-pick-up truck parked on the curb...near my pile of garbage.

We lived in a semi-upscale part of town so it was unusual to see people in tattered clothes and old rusty vehicles stopped in our neighborhood. And picking through garbage cans!

Mixed in with the other stuff I was discarding, I had cleaned out our fridge and a leftover box of Kentucky Fried Chicken (just a couple of skimpy pieces or so) was sticking out of one of the garbage containers.

But the fried chicken scraps had been in the garbage can for over 24 hours at that point and weren't fit for human consumption. Ugggg....

When I noticed them pulling that from the garbage, I ran outside and approached them. They were very soft spoken and polite...said they were looking for old toys for their baby and they motioned to a infant cradled in a blanket, lying on the seat inside the old rusty truck.

But, something in my heart told me that wasn't the truth. They were hungry and willing to pick scraps out of the garbage to satisfy their needs.
They appeared to me to be malnourished by the appearance of their way-too-thin bodies.

I was actually sickened when I realized that they were really going to eat food that had been in my garbage.

At that moment, my thoughts turned to the abundance of our own bounty of food...just a few feet away from that curb. I told them to wait while I went back inside and looked at the hundreds of toys that my boys had stuffed into chests and closets and found a few that were suitable for a very young child.

Then I went to the kitchen with a huge canvas bag and filled it with the contents of our pantry. Tuna, salmon, soup, even Spam! Anything they could open and eat without cooking. I put a few toys on top before I pulled the draw string.

Then, with all my might, I pulled the large bag out the door and down to the street where the couple were waiting as I had asked them to.

There wasn't really any mention made of all the food...just said that we were moving soon and I wanted to share my surplus of items with them.

The look of sincere gratitude in their eyes said it all.

They thanked me, asked God to bless me... and drove away.

But that day remains alive in my memory as if it were only yesterday. It really led me to ponder what it would be like to be hungry...really hungry. And how the hunger pains would feel if I weren't able to go to the kitchen and satisfy that hunger. If I had to go to sleep with that discomfort.

That was a life changing day for me.

Yes, there are food banks, but often times they don't have a lot of food to give out...except for the holiday periods when people feel more generous in the spirit of the season... and contribute to those sources.

But people need to eat everyday!

I have always believed that there are no accidents in life and that everything happens for a reason.

Since that day, I have felt differently about hunger in the world...and right here in this prosperous nation of the United States, there are children who go to bed at night without any food.

There are many celebrities, Garth Brooks and Melanie Griffith for two, who endorse one organization that has also become near and dear to my heart ~ Feed The Children.

And, of course there are many others as well.

Everyone needs to eat. But children who don't get the proper nutrients won't develop normally and won't have a chance to un-do the damage done to their health and structure at a young age when they are denied essential nutrients.

The message that was left in my heart that day that the strangers came calling, was to increase my awareness of how blessed our family has been in that we've never gone to bed hungry and we know that food will be waiting for us...to satisfy our appetites... in our warm and cozy kitchen every morning. And to share out of our own abundance with a heart felt gratitude.

The holidays are coming and many generous people will help to insure that the food banks are full. And, other programs always kick in around the holidays to make the season a little merrier for the down and out.

I don't know why the strangers digging through my garbage weren't working. I only saw their 'need' at that moment...and I felt immediately led to follow my instincts to help them - all I could -...no matter what the circumstances that brought them to 'my door'.

Hopefully, the work of my heart, soul and hands... my various creative products that I offer, will help me to continue my efforts to be of charitable service to as many others as possible. In giving, with a cheerful heart and without feeling obligated, I believe that it really is me who will be the most blessed of all. It just seems to work that way when you give from your heart.

Yes, I do have a wish list of my own wants and needs. But life has a way of showing you, through an unexpected experience, just how wealthy and full and abundant your own life really is... especially when crossing paths with the less fortunate.

My personal wish list isn't as important in the overall scheme of things when viewing life through different eyes.

We are entering the season of more compassion. That warms my heart. But it shouldn't end in January.

Sincerely,

~ Amber

> Thank YOU, Dien, for being so abundantly
> kind and supportive. I had quite a lesson
> today, and wondered if others can follow
> along and SEE the bounty in it, the lesson
> in it, and perhaps see where they can create
> shifts in their thinking as well in the
> future.

> This morning, my three year old Emma and I
> went to Burger King to play at their indoor
> playground because we had some time to spare
> before Bible Study. Wednesdays are our day
> without work, and she loves
> "school" and I love my lessons and
> interaction with some pretty deep thinking
> women who come to the study.

> Although it was broad daylight, for some
> reason I left the lights on in my car. As Em
> and I were inside, I was sort of smugly
> thinking how I had changed some pretty bleak
> financial situations around for my
> family...that it felt SO good to be "in
> control" of everything.....kind of
> arrogant actually...

> I went out to start my car and YOU GUESSED
> IT, my battery had become worthless.
> Thinking, how can I solve this, I decided
> when my Ford Cortina would not start 20
> years ago, I would jump start it. So I
> pushed my car up and then jumped in and
> rolled down the hill....but there was not
>

J.F. (Jim) Straw November 17, 2000 01:11 PM

Wealth is ...

simply enjoying the games you play. Money is only a way of keeping score.

Jim

Practical Instruction in the Arts & Sciences of Making Money!

Dan Butler November 17, 2000 06:30 PM

Re: More Lessons on Wealth Everyday...

Amber --

Your note reminded me of a special woman we used to have interaction with. She ran a food ministry that catered to the people that others forgot. Many of the food pantries and such will not help some families that make over a certain amount or have a steady job. The very families that a little help would make all the difference.

When we would visit Irene she would always send us home with lots of food. A box of tomatoes, cantalopes, or whatever. I would always beg off since we didn't need the help and I didn't want to take food that could go to someone else. She would insist and I would take the food home. It was always a big event when I would arrive and all the kids be digging through to see what she had sent us. I would think about a family that was truly in need. How exciting would some unexpected food be to them?

It turns out that Irene received so much food that she would have to throw much of it away as it would go bad before she could pass it on.

We gave her our second car when she needed a reliable vehicle to deliver her goods. After loading the car up she was driving down the street and felt led to stop at a certain house. She went to the door not knowing why and after talking with the people briefly asked if they could use some food. The lady at the door started crying and said yes. Imagine her surprise when Irene opened her trunk and brought boxes of groceries into their home. That's the kind of lady she was.

Irene died last year. We still miss her. She taught my family a lot.

-- Dan Butler

> Julie,

> Thank you for sharing your experience. It
> brought to mind something that happened to
> me once upon a time that helped to deepen my
> appreciation for my abundant portion in
> life.

> A few years ago, we were preparing to move
> to a new home that we had custom
> built...just outside of the city limits. I
> was feeling on top of the world.

> Wanting to pack less 'stuff', I was hauling
> a lot of it out to the edge of the driveway
> where the garbage collectors would pick it
> up the following day. (Those were the days
> before ebay!) ;)

> While taking a coffee break, I happened to
> gaze out the window in my kitchen and saw a
> young couple and their
> almost-ancient-totally-rusted- out-pick-up
> truck parked on the curb...near my pile of
> garbage.

> We lived in a semi-upscale part of town so
> it was unusual to see people in tattered
> clothes and old rusty vehicles stopped in
> our neighborhood. And picking through
> garbage cans!

> Mixed in with the other stuff I was
> discarding, I had cleaned out our fridge and
> a leftover box of Kentucky Fried Chicken
> (just a couple of skimpy pieces or so) was
> sticking out of one of the garbage
> containers.

> But the fried chicken scraps had been in the
> garbage can for over 24 hours at that point
> and weren't fit for human consumption.
> Ugggg....

> When I noticed them pulling that from the
> garbage, I ran outside and approached them.
> They were very soft spoken and polite...said
> they were looking for old toys for their
> baby and they motioned to a infant cradled
> in a blanket, lying on the seat inside the
> old rusty truck.

> But, something in my heart told me that
> wasn't the truth. They were hungry and
> willing to pick scraps out of the garbage to
> satisfy their needs.
> They appeared to me to be malnourished by
> the appearance of their way-too-thin bodies.

> I was actually sickened when I realized that
> they were really going to eat food that had
> been in my garbage.

> At that moment, my thoughts turned to the
> abundance of our own bounty of food...just a
> few feet away from that curb. I told them to
> wait while I went back inside and looked at
> the hundreds of toys that my boys had
> stuffed into chests and closets and found a
> few that were suitable for a very young
> child.

> Then I went to the kitchen with a huge
> canvas bag and filled it with the contents
> of our pantry. Tuna, salmon, soup, even
> Spam! Anything they could open and eat
> without cooking. I put a few toys on top
> before I pulled the draw string.

> Then, with all my might, I pulled the large
> bag out the door and down to the street
> where the couple were waiting as I had asked
> them to.

> There wasn't really any mention made of all
> the food...just said that we were moving
> soon and I wanted to share my surplus of
> items with them.

> The look of sincere gratitude in their eyes
> said it all.

> They thanked me, asked God to bless me...
> and drove away.

> But that day remains alive in my memory as
> if it were only yesterday. It really led me
> to ponder what it would be like to be
> hungry...really hungry. And how the hunger
> pains would feel if I weren't able to go to
> the kitchen and satisfy that hunger. If I
> had to go to sleep with that discomfort.

> That was a life changing day for me.

> Yes, there are food banks, but often times
> they don't have a lot of food to give
> out...except for the holiday periods when
> people feel more generous in the spirit of
> the season... and contribute to those
> sources.

> But people need to eat everyday!

> I have always believed that there are no
> accidents in life and that everything
> happens for a reason.

> Since that day, I have felt differently
> about hunger in the world...and right here
> in this prosperous nation of the United
> States, there are children who go to bed at
> night without any food.

> There are many celebrities, Garth Brooks and
> Melanie Griffith for two, who endorse one
> organization that has also become near and
> dear to my heart ~ Feed The Children.

> And, of course there are many others as
> well.

> Everyone needs to eat. But children who
> don't get the proper nutrients won't develop
> normally and won't have a chance to un-do
> the damage done to their health and
> structure at a young age when they are
> denied essential nutrients.

> The message that was left in my heart that
> day that the strangers came calling, was to
> increase my awareness of how blessed our
> family has been in that we've never gone to
> bed hungry and we know that food will be
> waiting for us...to satisfy our appetites...
> in our warm and cozy kitchen every morning.
> And to share out of our own abundance with a
> heart felt gratitude.

> The holidays are coming and many generous
> people will help to insure that the food
> banks are full. And, other programs always
> kick in around the holidays to make the
> season a little merrier for the down and
> out.

> I don't know why the strangers digging
> through my garbage weren't working. I only
> saw their 'need' at that moment...and I felt
> immediately led to follow my instincts to