SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Test of a new feature - 'Digg' button... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4118)

Dien Rice June 26, 2007 11:01 PM

Test of a new feature - 'Digg' button...

As Ankesh mentioned a little earlier, I just added a "Digg" button to all the posts...

I've tried to make it unobtrusive - essentially, it's the little blue square button you see after the title of a post (you'll see it above, on this post!)...

What this button does is you can use it to submit a post to Digg www.digg.com, or if it has already been submitted, you can "vote" for a post there... (You need to have an account at "Digg" to submit or vote on a post - getting an account there is free...)

The benefit of this is...
  • If you like someone's post (or even if you like your own post), you can submit it to Digg - where more people will see it and read it!
  • If you vote on a post which has already been submitted to Digg, it's even more likely people will see it and read it!
I've tried to set it up so that, when you submit a post to Digg, the address of the post and the title will be entered automatically (but you can also alter the title too if you want to). It also automatically chooses the "Business & Finance" topic, but you can change that too if you feel there's something more appropriate for that particular post... You have to write your own "description" of the post though...

Anyway, this is all part of "testing" new things... We'll try it for a while and see how it goes! If a lot of people don't like it, then we'll get rid of it, but if most people seem happy with it, we'll keep it... In all these things, for me, the final word belongs to all the forum participants - since without you, there would be no forum! :)

Feel free to let me know what you think (either by posting or by email)...

Cheers :)

Dien

MichaelRoss June 27, 2007 04:35 AM

New feature problem ALERT

Dien,

Thanks for trying new things.

Here's what I have noticed...

Sometimes this Big box appears with DIGG and a number - usually zero. If I click a different message in the thread the box disappears. When I click back to the message where the box was, it's gone altogether. (same with the small box you are now trying)

Also, are you saying, if I like a post and want to click the box *I* need to open an account to vote?

Michael Ross

Dien Rice June 27, 2007 05:15 AM

Re: New feature problem ALERT

Hi Michael,

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 15853)
Thanks for trying new things.

Here's what I have noticed...

Sometimes this Big box appears with DIGG and a number - usually zero. If I click a different message in the thread the box disappears. When I click back to the message where the box was, it's gone altogether. (same with the small box you are now trying)

Yeah, that was an earlier problem, but I think I've fixed that now... So it shouldn't happen any more!

(The technical reason for the problem was to do with trying to have the subject "automated"... It had to do with problems when the title had an apostrophe in it - since that's a "special" character in Javascript! But I think I've managed a workaround...)

Quote:

Also, are you saying, if I like a post and want to click the box *I* need to open an account to vote?
Yes, because that's the way "Digg" works... You have to be logged in (to "Digg") to submit a post for inclusion in Digg, or to vote on a post...

I don't think there's any way to get around that, because I think you need to have Digg's "cookie" on your computer (which tells Digg that you're logged in)... Something like that anyway... Their system is probably to try to stop the same person "voting" for a single Digg entry a thousand times... :)

- Dien

MichaelRoss June 27, 2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that was an earlier problem, but I think I've fixed that now... So it shouldn't happen any more!

Nope. Still happening. In this thread too, as well as others.

Quote:

You have to be logged in (to "Digg") to submit a post for inclusion in Digg, or to vote on a post...

That's asking a Lot from someone just to Vote that they liked a post. I for one couldn't be bothered.

Michael Ross

Dien Rice June 27, 2007 07:19 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRoss (Post 15860)
Nope. Still happening. In this thread too, as well as others.

Hmm...

I wonder if it's browser-specific?

I just checked, it seems to work (at least for me) in Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 1.5 (which I have installed). I just checked it with Opera 9 and something funny does seem to be going on there, I'll have to look into that further...

Which browser are you using (if you don't mind me asking)? That's so hopefully I can narrow down where the problem is occurring...

Quote:

That's asking a Lot from someone just to Vote that they liked a post. I for one couldn't be bothered.
I don't expect everyone will have an interest in it... Hopefully it's unobtrusive enough that those who want to ignore it can do so. :)

Cheers,

Dien

MichaelRoss June 27, 2007 03:23 PM

Dien,

Thanks for accepting feedback.

Quote:

Which browser are you using

Firefox 1.0.7

Hmmm. Thought I'd upgraded. Time to download...

BTW, I find the blue-ish box thing is kinda like Mystery Meat. There is nothing intrinsic about it that let me know what I should do.

Michael Ross

Phil June 27, 2007 04:27 PM

Re: Test of a new feature - 'Digg' button...

Dien,

As you know there are many Web 2.0... Traffic generators & more in the works...

Once Sowpubs gets into some of these Social networking type sites they'll be no need to register as the New Traffic will already be. :)

Here's another less known Web 2.0 tool to consider Testing...

http://www.onlywire.com/

Do you own a Blog or Website?
http://onlywire.com/index?addinfo

Here's why...
Submits content to 19 social bookmarking sites which gives you 19 instant backlinks. :)

Phil

MichaelRoss June 27, 2007 05:40 PM

Browser upgrade - still no change

New browser and still the box disappears.

Current Firefox 2.0.0.4

Michael Ross

Dien Rice June 29, 2007 12:41 AM

Re: Test of a new feature - 'Digg' button...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 15870)
Once Sowpubs gets into some of these Social networking type sites they'll be no need to register as the New Traffic will already be. :)

Here's another less known Web 2.0 tool to consider Testing...

http://www.onlywire.com/

Do you own a Blog or Website?
http://onlywire.com/index?addinfo

Here's why...
Submits content to 19 social bookmarking sites which gives you 19 instant backlinks. :)l

Thanks Phil,

Looks useful and intriguing!

I'll be checking it out (though due to other stuff high on my "To Do" list, I may not get a chance till next week)... Thanks though - I'm grateful for the tips!

Cheers :)

Dien