SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What I learned from the bullies, and the bullied, in school... (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11365)

Dien Rice November 23, 2022 09:34 AM

What I learned from the bullies, and the bullied, in school...

There was a guy at my school... I think his name was Rob...

That poor guy got picked on... a lot.

One thing I noticed, was...

He never fought back.

I think he lacked confidence.

One "rule of the playground" that I figured out was... when the bullies pick on someone, if that kid doesn't "fight back" in some way, they get picked on... again and again...

However, let's say another kid gets picked on. And this kid "fights back" in some way...

Even if they get "hurt" in the short term... In the long term, they're better off.

The bullies find someone else to pick on.

Because the kid who "fights back" is simply too much trouble. The bullies figure out that it's better to pick on the kids that don't "fight back"...

I thought about this because I was leafing through Ben Suarez's book, "7 Steps to Freedom II."

What is Step 1?

Ben's Step 1 is... "Create self-confidence."

I think Ben's right. Nothing happens unless you start with some self-confidence.

Although it's not exactly the same... the kid in the playground with some self-confidence - who then "fights back" - is better off in the long run... even if they get a little "beaten" in the short run.

Business and entrepreneurship can be like that. In the short run, you have to risk getting a little "bloodied"...

But in the long run, you'll be better off! Because with each experience, you'll learn a little bit more on how to succeed...!

Okay, that's my rant for today... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ December 7, 2022 06:53 PM

It evokes the question, HOW? How does one get the self confidence to start?

Thanks Dien, I remember kicking that wimp Rob several times whilst stealing his lunch money. What a loser.

Oh, Rob founded a tech company, sold it for a billion and sent me a pic of his body guards and invited me over. I politely declined. HA!

Luckily in the business of making money, we can easily avoid the bullies, the punks, the thugs and those who want to steal our chips (ala Robert Ringer-Looking Out for #1).

Getting bloodied in business, is often a little rejection. A NO. A SCRAM.

No trips to the ER, no bones reset, no broken noses. It is the EGO which most often gets bloodied.

Your post raises the question of how to get the self confidence an easier way, although, my dad made me learn the hard way...I had my share of butt kickings. And I was a likeable loveable fellow too.

Anyhow, one way I think is good for a newbie to begin is with some quick, albeit, small success.

Too many want to get rich quick, or own a business where they are the boss, and being a business owner can feel pretty good to the ego. Until they go bankrupt and out of business.

I advocate starting small and growing. I refer you to the Grow as you go plan I wrote about in Sprint to Freedom. That same plan can be used for IM, or affiliate or ecom, any online business.

MAKE a fast profit. Do it again, faster and faster. Make it bigger, make it more often. Grow. Reinvest.

My 3 decades old mantra, the TRIAD tells the story.

Doubt is the shadow of our fear.
Confidence is the reflection of our success.
ACTION is the revelation of our faith.

Many want to build a castle or a mansion on the mountain, I say, start with a yurt in the valley and go from there. Get a small success, take more action, build momentum...

And MOTH (mansion on the hill) manor will surely be yours.

Remind me to tell a Ben story about confidence one of these days.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 43426)
There was a guy at my school... I think his name was Rob...

That poor guy got picked on... a lot.

One thing I noticed, was...

He never fought back.

I think he lacked confidence.

One "rule of the playground" that I figured out was... when the bullies pick on someone, if that kid doesn't "fight back" in some way, they get picked on... again and again...

However, let's say another kid gets picked on. And this kid "fights back" in some way...

Even if they get "hurt" in the short term... In the long term, they're better off.

The bullies find someone else to pick on.

Because the kid who "fights back" is simply too much trouble. The bullies figure out that it's better to pick on the kids that don't "fight back"...

I thought about this because I was leafing through Ben Suarez's book, "7 Steps to Freedom II."

What is Step 1?

Ben's Step 1 is... "Create self-confidence."

I think Ben's right. Nothing happens unless you start with some self-confidence.

Although it's not exactly the same... the kid in the playground with some self-confidence - who then "fights back" - is better off in the long run... even if they get a little "beaten" in the short run.

Business and entrepreneurship can be like that. In the short run, you have to risk getting a little "bloodied"...

But in the long run, you'll be better off! Because with each experience, you'll learn a little bit more on how to succeed...!

Okay, that's my rant for today... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Glenn December 14, 2022 06:14 PM

How I Got Confidence in My Copywriting w/Out Asking for Help

Thanks Gordon, Dien,

When I Started out as an EXPERT Jay Abraham Marketing Genius. I Was Shy.

No Shortage of Clients.

99% of Jay Abraham Proteges Needed Help.

What I DID was Wrote a Bunch of Headlines.

Printed Them out in Bold.

Little Articles Underneath.

Visited The DMV and Airlines Terminal.

Social Security Office.

Anywhere Lots of Bored People were Sitting Down in a Crowd. SMUSHED together.

I'd Sit down btwn 2 Strangers.

OPEN my 3 Ring Binder.

IF nobody Tapped me on the Shoulder and said, "CAN I READ that?

I Flipped the page a few times.

THEN Moved to another Empty seat.

Over and over. (Until I Found a POPULAR TITLE)

Surprised myself. Because THIS Method Also Meant Anything I Wrote and Tested This Way SOLD LIKE Crazy. Magazine, Newspaper, Craigs List.

ONE CHANGE to Move this Forward to Today.

Marketing in a Niche.

Say - Sheep Owners.

You Have to Show up at the 4-H Club and Group meetings for People Raising Sheep.

The People at The DMV couldn't CARE LESS about Sheep!

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

But Skipped by Gary Halbert, Jay Abraham. And Especially Todays EXPERTS Fishing on FaceBook and Social Media with KEY WORDS.

I Think ON PURPOSE.

Sounds Much Easier if you don't have to Find the Niche Your Prospects LIVE in and Then FISH in That Lake.

JIM STRAW - Mr 500 Millionaire - Told me in Confidence once. "Glenn, All of the Social Media Gurus AND ME - Get 99% of our New Subscribers and Buyers Using DIRECT MAIL.

WOW.

You Won't Find that Bit of WISDOM on-line or in The Experts Blogs or Books!

Thanks,
Glenn

P.S. - I Just Advised a New Client to Test and Make Moolah FACE to FACE.
By Going where Her Contractor and Construction Clients GO Every Morning.

HOME DEPOT and other Supply Stores.

Weeks or months to make a dime on Social Media If EVER. And Unless You know how to Test Lots of ideas FREE. You Don't know what's Working well Enough to TEST it on-line.

Dien Rice December 16, 2022 12:14 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Glenn!

Thanks for sharing that, Glenn!

I gotta do more testing myself... of all types...

You mentioned Jim Straw... I know he was BIG on testing everything!

Once again... muchos kudos... :) (Pardon my Espaņol!)

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 43463)
Thanks Gordon, Dien,

When I Started out as an EXPERT Jay Abraham Marketing Genius. I Was Shy.

No Shortage of Clients.

99% of Jay Abraham Proteges Needed Help.

What I DID was Wrote a Bunch of Headlines.

Printed Them out in Bold.

Little Articles Underneath.

Visited The DMV and Airlines Terminal.

Social Security Office.

Anywhere Lots of Bored People were Sitting Down in a Crowd. SMUSHED together.

I'd Sit down btwn 2 Strangers.

OPEN my 3 Ring Binder.

IF nobody Tapped me on the Shoulder and said, "CAN I READ that?

I Flipped the page a few times.

THEN Moved to another Empty seat.

Over and over. (Until I Found a POPULAR TITLE)

Surprised myself. Because THIS Method Also Meant Anything I Wrote and Tested This Way SOLD LIKE Crazy. Magazine, Newspaper, Craigs List.

ONE CHANGE to Move this Forward to Today.

Marketing in a Niche.

Say - Sheep Owners.

You Have to Show up at the 4-H Club and Group meetings for People Raising Sheep.

The People at The DMV couldn't CARE LESS about Sheep!

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

But Skipped by Gary Halbert, Jay Abraham. And Especially Todays EXPERTS Fishing on FaceBook and Social Media with KEY WORDS.

I Think ON PURPOSE.

Sounds Much Easier if you don't have to Find the Niche Your Prospects LIVE in and Then FISH in That Lake.

JIM STRAW - Mr 500 Millionaire - Told me in Confidence once. "Glenn, All of the Social Media Gurus AND ME - Get 99% of our New Subscribers and Buyers Using DIRECT MAIL.

WOW.

You Won't Find that Bit of WISDOM on-line or in The Experts Blogs or Books!

Thanks,
Glenn

P.S. - I Just Advised a New Client to Test and Make Moolah FACE to FACE.
By Going where Her Contractor and Construction Clients GO Every Morning.

HOME DEPOT and other Supply Stores.

Weeks or months to make a dime on Social Media If EVER. And Unless You know how to Test Lots of ideas FREE. You Don't know what's Working well Enough to TEST it on-line.